IGNORED

My disatster area of a "shop"!

luvmy40

I really envy the garages and shops of people who have organizational skills and will power!

I'm a pack rat of the worst kind. One with no organizational skill at all. I have parts and SAMS Photofacts for Curtis Mathis TVs. I haven't worked as a TV repair tech in 35 years. I can't throw them away. It's a sickness!

So, today I set out to clean up my "shop" in order to make room for the new Venture. She's been parked in the driveway and tarped since I pulled the carbs.

This spring I walled off the back half of a generously sized 2-1/2 car garage (that's never had a car in it) to isolate my holster business for tax purposes. Of course, everything that got moved from the new business area just got stacked willy-nilly where ever I could put it in the front half.

I also recycle cardboard. That means I pile the boxes up in the garage until I can't move around it anymore then haul it to the recycle center. Usually a couple trips a year. I just made a cardboard trip last week. I found another truck load+ today!

Now, My son has his '81 SECA 750 partially stripped with parts scattered as bad or worse than I would have so that was the first step, consolidating that project in limbo to one area. Then I made a very difficult decision to throw some old golf gear and workout equipment out to road.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Motor%20Cycle/Resized_20160823_211033_zpsopegopo0.jpeg

There's still more cardboard to be hauled off but I squeezed both bikes in and still have room to move around the Venture! I'm actually surprised and kind of proud that I was able to find the will power to do this without a task master to keep me on point.

Baby steps!

Edited by luvmy40

Curtis Mathis?? WOW!! That's a blast from the past!! Any Dumont? Philco?? Marantz? Hallicrafters?? ETC ETC! To the right person they are worth money, now you have to find somebody that caters to rich collector's whims!

As a teen I made extra money fixing radios and TV's. Was a Ham operator at 14, my interest in electronics was sparked when I was 12. Worked in electronics for over 35 years until my eyesight started to go!

I guess I must have the cleanest possible garage. I do not have a garage at all. Therefor it is not possible for it to be a mess.

BUT

ALL of the stuff that one would normally have in the garage is all kept in my basement. along with all of the stuff that one would normally find in a basement, and my poor little basement is only 600 ft². I also have a 3400 lb pile of cast iron called a milling machine, a 1200 lb lathe and a 1800 lb surface grinder and a few other assorted large tools stuffed in there. And do not forget about my private air force that also hides in the nooks and crannies of that deep dark hole. Add to all of that the fact that I am also a pack rat and you can only imagine what it looks like.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one!

Curtis Mathis?? WOW!! That's a blast from the past!! Any Dumont? Philco?? Marantz? Hallicrafters?? ETC ETC! To the right person they are worth money, now you have to find somebody that caters to rich collector's whims!

As a teen I made extra money fixing radios and TV's. Was a Ham operator at 14, my interest in electronics was sparked when I was 12. Worked in electronics for over 35 years until my eyesight started to go!

I worked as a in home repair tech for a local radio/TV shop when I was in High School then went into the Army as a communications tech. Many years as a parts changer/ tank driver/truck driver/ etc, a trip to Europe then the sandbox and back into the civilian market where I found the digital world had left me in the dust. I got out of the electronics game and went Mechanical only to go back designing controls for refrigeration and lighting systems for genetics and agricultural testing chambers. Then onto being an ET for the Post Office, which is more like a system tech than an electronics tech. Somewhere along the line I built a few dozen houses, apartments buildings and custom kitchens.

Now I make holsters, sell auto parts and wrench on vintage Japanese motor cycles. I'm very busy but relaxed these days though not so wealthy.

I like being relaxed.

Edited by luvmy40

I know two different people that do machining in shops that are larger and more packed than your garage. Somehow both of them know exactly where every little thing is in their shops. I'd spend all my time looking for stuff........

At least some folks are fortunate enuf to have a shop big enuf to put a motorcycle in (plus tools, workbench, etc). I have a 12 x 14 shed and with all my "junk" there's no way I could get my bike in there. I do miss the garage we had at the last place we lived but at least where we are now, we own it (instead of renting).

Years ago I posted a pic of my garage 'mess'. I'd do it again but can't find the pic... like all the rest of my 'stuff'. However.... it's still full, but now it has 4 enclosed trailers to keep it company, and I can't remember half of what's in them.... I'm not sure who to call... American Pickers, or... Buried Alive??

I really envy the garages and shops of people who have organizational skills and will power!

I'm a pack rat of the worst kind. One with no organizational skill at all. I have parts and SAMS Photofacts for Curtis Mathis TVs. I haven't worked as a TV repair tech in 35 years. I can't throw them away. It's a sickness!

So, today I set out to clean up my "shop" in order to make room for the new Venture. She's been parked in the driveway and tarped since I pulled the carbs.

This spring I walled off the back half of a generously sized 2-1/2 car garage (that's never had a car in it) to isolate my holster business for tax purposes. Of course, everything that got moved from the new business area just got stacked willy-nilly where ever I could put it in the front half.

I also recycle cardboard. That means I pile the boxes up in the garage until I can't move around it anymore then haul it to the recycle center. Usually a couple trips a year. I just made a cardboard trip last week. I found another truck load+ today!

Now, My son has his '81 SECA 750 partially stripped with parts scattered as bad or worse than I would have so that was the first step, consolidating that project in limbo to one area. Then I made a very difficult decision to throw some old golf gear and workout equipment out to road.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/luvmy40/Motor%20Cycle/Resized_20160823_211033_zpsopegopo0.jpeg

There's still more cardboard to be hauled off but I squeezed both bikes in and still have room to move around the Venture! I'm actually surprised and kind of proud that I was able to find the will power to do this without a task master to keep me on point.

Baby steps!

Now is this before or after you cleaned the shop?

I make concealed carry and competition gear. Kydex/Boltaron thermo formed IWB and OWB holsters, mag carriers, flashlight carriers and custom stuff. I'm actually a pioneer in Appendix Carry dedicated holsters. I do believe I made the very first Kydex holster specialized and designed specifically for concealing in the appendix position.

customcarryconcepts dot com

Kydex works well for repairing broken tabs and such on the body panels and can be molded to make new parts as well. Made the tail cover and license plate mount out of .125" Kydex to purdy up the bubba bob job a P.O. did on my Katana a while back. That turned out nice and was not difficult. I'm going to have a good bit of repair work to do on the Venture soon. It's not beat up too badly but there are a lot of missing tabs and spear points(bullets?) and a few cracks. I don't think there are any missing pieces.

I farm for a living. My shop is 30 x 40, if it was 60 x 120 it would look the same. If it is bigger, you just put more stuff in it. If it makes you feel any better, I just did my spring cleaning yesterday (let that sink in for a minute and it will paint a horrible picture in your mind)......now to clean the work bench, tool chest, and welding table. There goes another day. At least now I can get to the fridge and have a pop while I'm doing the bench and table. Wont be as much dust in the air. I get lazy and use the air hose instead of the broom.