IGNORED

Remember telling me not to use thread lock on the windshield a year ago ?

VentureFar

Well at 80 mph in the fast lane down hill in traffic my windshield comes loose and I literally grab it as it is going to fly off. I pull over and look at both holes in the plastic where I used the tiny'est smidge of loctite, had broken off. oops.

Time for a new baggershield but this time after only converting it one time in 3 years I will get the single 11" instead of the convertible.

SO ? How do I keep the set screws from coming loose if not using loctite? Any ideas?

Thanks all.

VentureFar...

PS - a shout out to my good friend @cowpuc so he knows I didn't get lost in the California fruit and nuts....

Hmmmm,,,,Mine never gets loose and there is no locktite and no silicone. Well,,,I generally take the whole fairing apart once or twice a year to do some additions and then tighten everything up - so that might explain it. The silicone idea is good though. Locktite can be used but then you have to put the tiniest little drop in the nut threads - not on the bolt. But then again I would not risk it.

Silicone works, usually nail polish will also. Shoot you could probably use elmer's glue. You just need something that s going to "semi" gum up the threads so the bolts dont just work themselves out.

Silicone works, usually nail polish will also. Shoot you could probably use elmer's glue. You just need something that s going to "semi" gum up the threads so the bolts dont just work themselves out.

Anything but loctite evidently. :-(

Well at 80 mph in the fast lane down hill in traffic my windshield comes loose and I literally grab it as it is going to fly off. I pull over and look at both holes in the plastic where I used the tiny'est smidge of loctite, had broken off. oops.

Time for a new baggershield but this time after only converting it one time in 3 years I will get the single 11" instead of the convertible.

SO ? How do I keep the set screws from coming loose if not using loctite? Any ideas?

Thanks all.

VentureFar...

PS - a shout out to my good friend @cowpuc so he knows I didn't get lost in the California fruit and nuts....

And your brother Pucster responds from amidst the fruits, nuts and other lop eared varmints wondering around the great State of Michigan - nice to hear from you my friend!! Keep working on those knee's Neil - Lord willing and the creek dont rise, we gotta go chase the moon lite of Death Valley with Tech Sargent @CMCOFFEY next year!!:fingers-crossed-emo:thumbsup::7_2_104[1]::900[1]::900[1]::15_8_211[1]:

Anything but loctite evidently. :-(

WOWZY VF - sounds like you had quite an ordeal - GLAD YOUR OK NEIL!! Also Glad to hear you were able to snag that shield on its departure flight - yet another adventure point (albeit, not so much fun) in the life a motorcyclist...

And your brother Pucster responds from amidst the fruits, nuts and other lop eared varmints wondering around the great State of Michigan - nice to hear from you my friend!! Keep working on those knee's Neil - Lord willing and the creek dont rise, we gotta go chase the moon lite of Death Valley with Tech Sargent @CMCOFFEY next year!!:fingers-crossed-emo:thumbsup::7_2_104[1]::900[1]::900[1]::15_8_211[1]:

WOWZY VF - sounds like you had quite an ordeal - GLAD YOUR OK NEIL!! Also Glad to hear you were able to snag that shield on its departure flight - yet another adventure point (albeit, not so much fun) in the life a motorcyclist...

Roger that! - wait I think I hijacked my own thread....

In 7 years, 53,000 miles and three different versions of windshields I have never had one screw come loose even riding Michigan's crappy rods. I do not use Loctite. No need for it. You must not have had them tight enough or you ride on rough roads.

I might have been a little tentative the first time I secured the baggershield after replacing the stock shield but not the second time. - but the second time both screw holes in the shield broke off and due to the loctite the screws were nice and snug.... uggh.

VentureFar...

Jeff if you had a million dollar bugatti veyron and had to secure a plastic part on it would you use Loctite 425 or elmers white glue?

VentureFar...

Neither, A car like that would come with the proper fastener torqued to the proper spec and run smooth enough that I would not need to add aftermarket thread locker to anything.

Where I work, We do use the #425 Loctite for a plastic part on one of our machines, it does not damage the plastic and it does keep things together. The standard #242 blue loctite did eat the plastic parts.

I have never used thread locker on my windshield bolts, and have never had one come loose. Wisconsin has the second worst roads in the USA behind only Connecticut, so I do get a good share of shake rattle and roll, bounce and jiggle.

Average Wisconsin pothole.............

The road smooths out when the hole gets enough cars in the bottom of it............:whistling:

Milwaukee Pothole .jpg

I just ordered the non adjustable 11" and they were nice to give me a "repeat customer who did a dumb thing" discount. Great folks, great shield.

I think I am going to go with a star washer to keep the set screws in place.

Watch for my repost next year about this time :doh:

Thanks all.

VentureFar...

I don't know how second gen shields are connected, but on the 87' I replaced a couple stock windshield bolts with longer screws and used 'Nyloc' nuts. Checked

yearly and no loose screws yet. (can't speak for myself tho)

Thanks all.

VentureFar...

Occasionally I'll use some of my daughters clear nail polish on the threads to keep them from coming loose.... Not loc-tite, but it seems to work..

Guest Jamsie
Where would one purchase the quantity of two nordlock washers ?

Venturefar...

any fastener company that supplies local engineering companies with nuts and bolts etc