IGNORED

GPS Nuts???

Yammer Dan

Well i made it to georgia but new GPS not too good. First about 20 miles from home it detoured me thru school yard and back to main road. I kind of thought this might be wrong. Next just as i entered the first Tunnel on the West Virginia Turnpike it said "Turn Left and then Turn Left" Now I'm not real sure on this yet but as you are entering a tunnel it might not be the smartest thing you ever did to make two left turns.....

It was just checking out it's new owner to see what sort of an idiot it had to deal with. Now that it knows, it will try to do that more often just to keep you on your toes. Was it a male voice or a female voice that prompted you?:stirthepot:

Sounds like the map data may not be up to date with the road improvements. My Zumo data doesn't have several street addresses I've looked for that are 2-4 years old, new subdivisions in Atlanta, Columbia, and Camp Lejeune areas. I've also seen the "shortest route" option make some recommendations I've ignored.

At least I am not alone! My Magellan Crossover takes me all kinds of places...if I choose to listen to her! Plus during our trip west at spring break it had me driving in the middle of fields when I was sure I was on the main highway from Calgary to Edmonton!

Crazy old map on these things. I can only hope that it is better when we go south!

Apparently there are no map upgrades for the Magellan Crossover either. Would be happy if someone proved me wrong there!

Occasional map data gliches. Mine does that once in a while. If a new road has been built after the data was loaded it won't be there. If a database error is in the existing program then it will show up. I find errors on every trip but still a must have item.

I can say that my Whistler GPS hasn't led me astray.... yet, and it seems to do great when I make an unscheduled detour. Persistant as all get out trying to get me back on track. And for what I paid for it off WOOT, I'm a happy camper. The only thing I can complain about is seeing the screen in direct sunlight.

I have the most recent update for the Garmin Zumo but with the pace of some of the road building in the Atlanta area there is no way it will be perfect. I figure if Google Maps doesn't have it I can't be too hard on Garmin.:confused24: I would love to see a monthly updateable map. Maybe an unual subscription rather than an anual purchase of a CD.

Guest tx2sturgis

Yall are finding out the problems with the GPS system. It is based on map datum that is constantly made obsolete.

GPS stands for Global POSITIONING System.....and they do that well...find your position. It never was actually intended to be a Global NAVIGATION System...except maybe for ICBM's, which dont use roads!

:whistling:

Yall are finding out the problems with the GPS system. It is based on map datum that is constantly made obsolete.

GPS stands for Global POSITIONING System.....and they do that well...find your position. It never was actually intended to be a Global NAVIGATION System...except maybe for ICBM's, which dont use roads!

True, but you are no better off with paper maps either. Chances are, if it's not on your GPS software, it's not on your 4 year old Road Atlas either!

Guest tx2sturgis
True, but you are no better off with paper maps either. Chances are, if it's not on your GPS software, it's not on your 4 year old Road Atlas either!

Yep...a 4 year old road atlas is birdcage lining.

But most of the time, paper maps are fairly current. Not always, by any means.

But a GPS is NOT an authority, and sometimes a driver or rider will follow that thing till it gets em in trouble...same with maps.

Remember when calculators came out in the 70's? A lot of us, me included, have completley forgoten how to do long division...or almost any kind of trig or any other kind of math. Same with the GPS...use it too much, and map reading becomes harder and the natural navigational skills we use to have, may go bye-bye too.

Young fast food workers are bumfuzzled when it comes to making change without the register telling them how to do it. We see it all the time, make a purchase that totals $5.70, you hand the clerk a ten spot, and they have no clue what the change is unless the machine is working.

We can get TOO dependent on technology. Thats a shame. I LIKE being able to find my way around, even if the GPS battery dies, or the reset wont work when it locks up.

Of course, I dont want to drive a team of horses to the market...so SOME technology is OK!!

Its a Tom Tom XL 1. Probally needs updated which I didn't do. Got lost in brunswick when came to ramp that was closed and couldn't get around it. now that I've looked at it should have hit alternate route button. It did most of what it was supposed to. Wonder if I had made those lefts is I could have gotten new Saab out of them.....

Occasional map data gliches. Mine does that once in a while. If a new road has been built after the data was loaded it won't be there. If a database error is in the existing program then it will show up. I find errors on every trip but still a must have item.

Same is true for my Tom-Tom One :080402gudl_prv:

I dont need a GPS to tell me where to go just read the map, remember the roads - cites and I'll be OK. Never needed one before why get one now

Besides I have a PTM system :whistling:

Peggy Tells Me where to go...........

buddy

Was a story behind mine. I missed a exit with the Warden on board so she suggested I could use one, Just wasn't paying attention Road ended in the Alantic. Then took trip with Frogman to get "New to me" bike and his didn't miss a beat. So she started suggesting a little more. Now I have a new Tom Tom But hey now I have something to BLAME!!!