IGNORED

POLL #2 - for REAL this time!!! What kind of mileage do you get from a rear tire?

cowpuc

On average, how many miles of usage do you get from a rear tire?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. On average, how many miles of usage do you get from a rear tire?

• Riding 2 up, fully packed - I get 15 thousand miles or more of use from my rear tire.
    • Riding 2 up, fully packed - I get 10 to 15 thousand miles of use from my rear tire.
    • Riding 2 up, fully packed - I get 7 to 10 thousand miles of use from my rear tire.
    • Riding 2 up, fully packed - I get 4 to 7 thousand miles of use from my rear tire.
    • Riding 1 up, fully packed - I get 15 thousand miles or more of use from my rear tire.
    • Riding 1 up, fully packed - I get 10 to 15 thousand miles of use from my rear tire.
    • Riding 1 up, fully packed - I get 7 to 10 thousand miles of use from my rear tire.
    • Riding 1 up, fully packed - I get 4 to 7 thousand miles of use from my rear tire.
    • I run a car tire on the rear and get 15 thousand and above
    • I run a car tire on the rear and get under 15 thousand miles of usage from it.

You don't have an option for what I get out of a rear tire Puc!!

I do run car tires, and expect around 80,000 miles out of it!! Of course, on a trike, you are lucky to get 6000 miles out of the front tire...

Dag nab it Bongo - now I gotta go see if its to late to alter the poll lines!!:big-grin-emoticon: I shoulda known a lop eared pot stirring varmint like you would come along and toss me a curve like that!! :rasberry:

Hmmmm,,:think:,,, cant see a way to alter the poll questions,,, wonder if that wonderful, kind hearted, gently spirited @Eck could alter line 9 for us to read "15 thousand and above".. If not Eckster its ok - I still REALLY appreciate your getting rid of that other thread for me AND still owe you a hot dog for doing so my friend!!

No option for me either. I run a mix of 1 up and 2 up and average about 25,000 miles on the rear tire. This is using E3's. Get over 30,000 on front.

WOW ZZZZZ WOW WOW WOW,, did I screw up that poll!! Sorry about that folks!! Might just go ahead and click on the highest number you can for your type of riding.. I would gladly change the upper limits on all top mileage selection to just read "15k and above" if I could figure out how to do it.. By the way, you can vote in both 1 up and 2 up categories if you ride a mix - I left the option open for voting in more than one category,,,, :think: I think:think::innocent:

THANKS TO ALL WHO ARE PARTICIPATING!!! :thumbsup:

Hmmmm,,:think:,,, cant see a way to alter the poll questions,,, wonder if that wonderful, kind hearted, gently spirited @Eck could alter line 9 for us to read "15 thousand and above".. If not Eckster its ok - I still REALLY appreciate your getting rid of that other thread for me AND still owe you a hot dog for doing so my friend!!

I don't think you can edit a poll question after it has started. As for that other thread, I deleted it for you. So does that make me kind hearted and a gentle spirit? :)

OK..I was wrong. I was able to edit the question.

I also changed option 1 and option 5 because he said he gets over 25,000 miles on an E3 and that is a motorcycle tire, not a car tire.

Edited by Freebird

I don't think you can edit a poll question after it has started. As for that other thread, I deleted it for you. So does that make me kind hearted and a gentle spirit? :)

OK..I was wrong. I was able to edit the question.

Awe,,, THANKS BOSSMAN!!:thumbsup: Yep,, that means you qualified for all those wonderful compliments x2 for editing for us!!! You also qualify for extra extra special Hot Dog mix sauce if you ever get up to one of our Michigan Hot Dog Meet n Greets this summer you kind hearted, gentle spirited varmint you!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Sooo,,, have you gotten enough miles on your Harley to know whether or not it gets better rear tire mileage than your 2nd Gen that Dan wrecked (had to put that in there - I somehow got missed when they passed out the "kind hearted" cards or something:headache:)? You running dual compound tires on that sweetheart? One of my buddies has a 2010 Ultra with those Dunlop "Harley" dual compounds on his and I think he just broke 12k on his and its ready for a rear tire.. Sound about right?

Yea, I'm running the dual compound and I THINK, but not sure, that they are radials as well. I've only got 9,000 miles on it right now. I think that the best I ever got on the RSV was around 12,000 to 13,000 miles. I never got a chance to try the E3. Tires I did try were the stock Dunlop, Michelin Commander and the Avon Venoms. They all got approximately the same for me. Based upon what I can see so far, I think the rear on the Harley is going to get into that same range.

I see reports all the time of people getting 17,000 and now even 25,000 miles out of a rear tire on the RSV and I don't doubt it because I know they are honest folk but I don't understand it either. I keep mine at the right pressures and don't ride all that hard but I can't even imagine getting that kind of longevity out of a rear tire.

Yea, I'm running the dual compound and I THINK, but not sure, that they are radials as well. I've only got 9,000 miles on it right now. I think that the best I ever got on the RSV was around 12,000 to 13,000 miles. I never got a chance to try the E3. Tires I did try were the stock Dunlop, Michelin Commander and the Avon Venoms. They all got approximately the same for me. Based upon what I can see so far, I think the rear on the Harley is going to get into that same range.

I see reports all the time of people getting 17,000 and now even 25,000 miles out of a rear tire on the RSV and I don't doubt it because I know they are honest folk but I don't understand it either. I keep mine at the right pressures and don't ride all that hard but I can't even imagine getting that kind of longevity out of a rear tire.

Right there with ya brother,, its really kind of mind boggling isnt it? Fact is, I have made many cross country trips on my 1st Gens out to the west coast. Have ALWAYS left here with a brand new rear tire - correct size, load rating always at 72H or better (usually far higher) and I am just like you - I check my tire pressures religiously.. It's a given that there is lots of highway between Michigan and the West Coast that tends to run hotter - I have driven thru Needles or Vegas and gotten to the other side and found the black rubber from my rear tire coating the back of the saddle bags but this is not always the case.. Something that IS always the case is that the West Coast (to the ocean) and back has ALWAYS been a 2 rear tire trip.. Some of have been 3 with a swap somewhere in the middle of it all.. Here is the really strange thing,,, I dont ever remember covering more than 6 thousand one way miles getting there or getting back.. I know for a fact that I have burned off more than 1 Dunlop 404 during those trips and they just barely pulled down 4k. I also know for a fact that my very best tire to date was a Metzler 880 (even got higher mileage than a brand new Michellin Commander 2 which surprised me) which we ran from here to Big Bend and then up around the Canyon, across Nellis to Sacramento - up to The Dalles and then up to Mt. Saint Helens and then back to Sac.. When we left The Dalles I was checking tires and pressures ( @CMCOFFEY and I checked both bikes - I remember telling him how impressed I was with the meat that was left on that Metz) and was very impressed and it appeared the tire would make the tire swap back in Sac I had planned for it for a total mileage of just under 6k miles - THAT was a absolute max for me and I was impressed.. Problem was, that Metz delaminated on the way back to Sac so all my good "feelings" about Metz came under suspicion cause I HATE blowouts on a bike - especially one that is carrying all that gear and my precious Tippy - not that I let the fear of having a flat tire on my scoot keep me home BUT it really aint that much fun having to ride one down from high speeds I tell ya.. Later I was yapping with Squidley about what had happened and he told me the story about Him and Lonna having EXACTLY the same thing happen with a Metz on his bike only I think they may have went down.. The 880 that had gotten the record mileage EVER on the back of one of my scoots just got crossed off my probable replacement list - unless I had no choice of course..

Anyway you look at Boss, this Poll is already down right revealing to me too... Sure makes a person :think: dont it!!

Here are some pics of the delaminated Metz and the tire I replaced it with.. First time I had ever heard of "Full Bore" but it was rated good, the right size and well under a hundred bucks (70 dollars shipped if I remember correctly).. That Full Bore did an EXCELLENT job of getting us up to Glacier from Sac and back home before it was wore out too - didnt get quite as good of total miles as the Metz but not as bad as the 404's I had ran either..

20140624_191657.jpg

20140624_191646.jpg

20140624_191434.jpg

20140624_191444.jpg

is it possible to have this poll re-posted in Kilometers so us Canadians can respond to it also @cowpuc ?

:p :canada::rotfl:

Wassup Kevster,, you lop eared :stirthepot:ing varmint you!!! :doh:,, screwed it up yet again didnt I... Lets see here,, so far we KNOW that I cant change it,, maybe we could get that fun loving, kind hearted, gentle spirited Bossman of ours to make even MORE changes to this crazy Poll:doh:.. I already spent all my extra compliments, Hot Dogs and Hot Dog sauce.. Dont know what I got left to coax em in... :backinmyday:,, how bout I petition YammerDan and see if I can get an agreement between Dan and I that we will stop pickin on that fun lovin, kind hearted, gentle spirited HARLEY rider about his Harley?? :crackup:That will never fly :crackup:

Bout the only thing I can do from my end is do the math for you Canucks and offer an open apology for messing up the Poll - THAT I can do!! :happy34:

Dear Canucks:

I, Cowpuc, am sorry for not including Kilometers in the above poll. I LOVE you folks and would NEVER do anything to hurt your feelings. I also LOVE your Yamaha Ventures and wish I could have found and owned one for my very own. I have always been jealous of your Ventures because you Canucks got the better carbs on your bikes - you got the ones with the "E" clips on the metering rods instead of the STUPID metering rods that we Americans have to use nylon washers on to tune our bikes.

As a way to express my sorrow please accept these calculated kilometers and vote accordingly to those kilometers that you have found your tire mileage to be:

Poll Line and corresponding data correction:

1. replace 15k miles with 24140.16 Kilometers

2. replace 10k miles with 16093.44 Kilometers and 15k miles with 24140.16 Kilometers

3. replace 7k miles with 11265.41 Kilometers and 10K miles with 16093.44 Kilometers

4. replace 4k miles with 6437.365 Kilometers and 7k miles with 11265.41 Kilometers

5. replace 15k miles with 24140.16 Kilometers

6. replace 10k miles with 16093.44 Kilometers and 15k miles with 24140.16 Kilometers

7. replace 7k miles with 11265.41 Kilometers and 10K miles with 16093.44 Kilometers

8. replace 4k miles with 6437.365 Kilometers and 7k miles with 11265.41 Kilometers

9. replace 15k miles with 24140.16 Kilometers

10. replace 15k miles with 24140.16 Kilometers

If you have ANY questions concerning any of the above PLEASE feel free to PM or call my Canadian Office at any hour day or night.. You can find the contact information for that office by clicking on here: @kevin-vic-b.c.

Once again, I apologize to all my Canadian friends for the above screw up..

Sincerely

Puc

PS,, hey Kev = :rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::rasberry::uk2::uk2::uk2::7_2_104[1]::checkeredflag::checkeredflag::rotfl:

@Cowpuc, (Quote) - kind hearted and a gentle spirit?.......You have never met my other side...:stickpoke:

I ride solo...and I run a (Mitchelin run flat), car tire on the rear (of my Goldwing), and get 15 thousand and above. (I will never go back to a rear MT tire on my Goldwing either).

I regularly get over 15k miles out of an E3. Haven't run one all the way to bald since I have a tendency to do my miles in chunks of several thousand at a time and starting a trip with a marginal tire is foolish. Usually keep my older tire for a backup if the new one gets cut, but haven't had to use it yet. Would like to see how many miles I could actually get out of an E3.

RR