IGNORED

Finally Got Me

MikeWa

I was on my way home yesterday. Cruising the freeway at about 70mph when it felt like the bike was running out of gas. Even though the tank registered close to a half tank I switched to reserve. No help. The engine died and I coasted to the right shoulder. I tried removing the gas cap. Again no help. So letting the bike sit for a couple of minutes I tried listening for the fuel pump. Ahh no clicking. The engine cranks ok and tries to start but no fuel, no start.

So being ten miles from home. To far to push. I called AAA for a tow truck. An hour later AAA calls me back to tell me they do not have a provider in my area who can tow a motorcycle and I am on my own. But they will reimburse me. Now I am pissed. This is a high density, high population area with lots of towing companies but I don't have a phone book handy. I am sitting on the side of the freeway don't ya know.

Life being good a passing Dept. Of Transportation truck sees me and stops. The driver has the telephone numbers to several tow companies and passes them along to me. He also told me he just came from another stall where AAA told a woman with an SUV they didn't have a provider that could tow her vehicle either. So I don't know what is going on with AAA. I will make an irate call to their head office Monday morning.

Getting home late I only made some preliminary checks of the fuel pump. It is not getting power. The engine cranks and is getting spark. So side stand and kill switches etc. should be ok. Todays project is to trace the power ck. Perhaps it is a faulty relay or I suppose it could be the control circuit in the igniter module. I hope not. One thing this does point up though is just how crappy the Yamaha service manual is.

Mike

I know this is a bit late for you, but for the next guy:

I believe on a 2nd gen you can hook the fuel line from the tank to the carbs and they'll get fuel so long as the tank is at least 1/2 full.

:thumbsup:

and if it happens on a 1st Gen you can hook a fuel line to the tank vent, blow thru the tube and maintain enough pressure in the tank to keep the carbs filled :thumbsup:

Glad you made it home ok Mike and hope you got er up and going!!:happy34:

Ok. I checked the fuel pump out this afternoon. It was a bad pump after all. An easy fix because a had a spare I purchased off e-bay some time ago. The pump is easy to change. A couple of bolts and a screw. The hardest part was finding out how to remove the front cover. Seems simple enough until you try to look it up in the service manual. Anyhow found it done it, did it. The bike runs fine now. I will take the old fuel pump apart later. I just have to know what went bad on a pump with only 25k mikes on it. If it is the points I have a spare set.

For those who want to know the replacement pump I used has the 8mm inlet & outlet pipes the part number on the box is 2000513099 903927-181-2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-For-Yamaha-1300-XVZ13-XVZ1300-Royal-Star-1996-2013-VIRAGO-XV1100-84-99-/331711789801?hash=item4d3b903ae9:g:m9cAAMXQ1ZhTguPG&vxp=mtr

Thanks Eck. Looks like AAA isn't what they used to be. I guess I will be looking for an alternate service. Reimbursement just doesn't cut it when you're sitting on the side of the road without a phone book. And possibly without knowledge of the area.

Mike

Bad situation but some good info

I have Geico insurance and they have road side assistance, I hope I never have to use it.

Larry, we have GEICO too, they will only tow with 5miles of the nearest dealer, the mileage beyond that is your expense. Don't ask me how I know! Btw, we cancelled that coverage.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I know this is a bit late for you, but for the next guy:

I believe on a 2nd gen you can hook the fuel line from the tank to the carbs and they'll get fuel so long as the tank is at least 1/2 full.

Thanks MiCarl. I actually knew about that. I just didn't have the tools or any kind of 8mm tube to put between the fuel lines in place of the pump. I didn't even have a ball point pen to break apart. I will purchase an 8mm vacuum connector and put it in my tool bag just in case this ever comes up again.

Mike

Thanks Eck. Looks like AAA isn't what they used to be. I guess I will be looking for an alternate service. Reimbursement just doesn't cut it when you're sitting on the side of the road without a phone book. And possibly without knowledge of the area.

Mike

Mike and I signed up with GWRRA last yr. Our local club isn't our personal cup of tea, but Roadside service is excellent! Had to use it a couple times last yr. Ask Aussie Anne about her experience with GWRRA's roadside coverage on her trike. Rick Haywood had had their roadside coverage and got her towed to the nearest HD deale.r

Larry, we have GEICO too, they will only tow with 5miles of the nearest dealer, the mileage beyond that is your expense. Don't ask me how I know! Btw, we cancelled that coverage.

Thanks for the info. I haven't needed my bike towed yet...... But I will check into that. I had state farm and it was expensive so I switched to GEICO

Thanks for the info. I haven't needed my bike towed yet...... But I will check into that. I had state farm and it was expensive so I switched to GEICO

It wasn't the bikes we towed, it was our conversion van. But they make no distinction between car or bike on towing. The van needed a new Alternator and hubby was at work. The GEICO and the tow company said it was $150 to go 30miles to the house, but free to take it to the nearest dealer. So we paid the $150 to bring it home and have hubby's Dad do the work himself. Frustrating but better.

I wrote this up a few years ago,,, but here is the short version of Gravity Feed. Tank to Carb.

(short version: thread the line from the petcock to the carb input and unplug electrical to the pump)

More detail:

You need SOME tools, not much. (needle nose pliers, one wrench for tank bolt, one allen for side cover, flashlight if you are late for dinner.)

You turn petcock to OFF. Pull the front seat. Pull the left side cover to access the bad pump (only the rear bolt is necessary, the other is a good spare shifter bolt if needed sometime).

Remove the rear tank bolt. Lift and block the rear of the tank about two inches.

Unplug the electrical connector to the fuel pump to prevent it from trying to puke out remaining fuel when you turn the key.

With needle nose, pull the clamp off the fuel line (that comes from the petcock to filter) at the filter. Pull the line over and thread it over to the right side of the tank rear.

On the right side, look under the tank to see the fuel line that comes from the pump to the carb input.

With needle nose squeeze clamp, pull the line off the carb input. NOW, put the line from the petcock on the carb input. (this is where the flashlight is handy)

Finish: Drop tank back down, put tank bolt back in. Drain loose gas lines, tuck under seat. Clean up any gas on the bike so you do not ignite like Ghost Rider as you ride home. Put side cover back on, and, put seat back on, just for comfort.

TURN ON PETCOCK.

This should get you home. If you need, you can ride this for any distance if you keep the tank over half full.

If you need to do this for some time, add an inline filter just after the petcock.

Also, till you replace the pump, turn off petcock when engine is off.

Edited by Mike G in SC

Mike, thanks for the link to the eBay pump, but I gotta ask. I bought one of these a couple of years back to take a look at it. I found the hose bibs were much larger than OEM... probably 10mm... and would have required a McGuiver. Does the one you picked up have the same size bibs as OEM?? If so they've made the mod and that's a heck of a deal at $13. I repair mine with the Japanese point set when one goes bad. I'd also be interested to get a report back on performance. I thought it was funny that they sold quite a few since you posted this... :)

Mike, thanks for the link to the eBay pump, but I gotta ask. I bought one of these a couple of years back to take a look at it. I found the hose bibs were much larger than OEM... probably 10mm... and would have required a McGuiver. Does the one you picked up have the same size bibs as OEM?? If so they've made the mod and that's a heck of a deal at $13. I repair mine with the Japanese point set when one goes bad. I'd also be interested to get a report back on performance. I thought it was funny that they sold quite a few since you posted this... :)

Jack, are the 2nd Gen Pumps completely different then the 1st Gens?

Jack, are the 2nd Gen Pumps completely different then the 1st Gens?

I don't think so, but then who am I do ask. I've never tore into a 1st, and thankfully they don't go out as often as the 2nd's. Makes me sorta wonder...?? Why is it that 1st gen rear shocks and fuel pumps last, but 2ndGens don't?? Ya'da thunk Yamaha had heard of 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'....:whistling:

Condor There are a couple of different pumps available. One has 10mm inlet and outlet pipes the other has 8mm. The one you need is the 8mm. The spec on the link I attached is 8mm.

Mike