IGNORED

Should I change the oil filter?

Mike from Ohio

I have a 2008 Royal Star Tour Deluxe that last summer only drove 700 miles after changing the oil and filter in April of last year. My question is that I always change my oil and filter, but do you think it is necessary to change the filter this time after a small amount of driving. If I left the current oil filter on how much oil would I have to add? I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Mike

And I am really out in left field cause, if last seasons riding was "normal" paved road riding, I would just keep riding that puppy till I got to my 3500 miles between oil changes BUT check the site glass to make sure your oil level is good - I usually do this at very frequent intervals anyway. Thinking your looking at about 3 and 1/2 quarts (gonna have to buy 4 quarts and have some left over if you dont at least drain the filter) of oil without the filter to fill it Mike. I wouldnt go by measured quantity no how. I would drain it, fill it to half way up the glass with the scoot standing upright. Run it to temp and recheck it.. I like to run my 1st Gens at 1/2 way (maybe just a tad over) on the site window - seems like if I run em close to a full window I start getting oil aspiration back into my air box..

As far as filters go, I like to swap the filter/oil at same time too but dont always do so. LOTS of times when traveling cross country I will pull the oil in a parking lot (most oil swap places will loan ya catch pan and gladly take the old oil), do a refill like I am talking about and continue on my way. There have many times during the years that I have had filters end up not getting swapped out for a couple oil changes at a time. I gotta say though, I am also a stickler about "color" of my used oil and the environment that I have been riding in.. Dusty two tracks (or riding thru those dust storms out west) reguire more frequent oil changes and, in those circumstances - I ALWAYS swap in a filter too..

If it was me and I am only speaking for me. I would NOT change anything. I would ride it at least another 3,000 miles then change it. I don't think oil goes bad from setting in a closed container and that is what our motors are.

Good thing I got this bad hand or I would have beat ya that time Roller!!:big-grin-emoticon:

I don't think oil goes bad from setting in a closed container and that is what our motors are.

Our engines are not closed containers. They have vents and as they warm and cool the air gets changed over. Condensation will interact with combustion byproducts and form acids. The real question is how much condensation got in - if it was a heated space or even attached garage there probably isn't much.

I'd replace the oil just to be safe. Filters are pretty inexpensive, I sure wouldn't mess around draining and reinstalling one.

If it was me and I am only speaking for me. I would NOT change anything. I would ride it at least another 3,000 miles then change it. I don't think oil goes bad from setting in a closed container and that is what our motors are.

Good thing I got this bad hand or I would have beat ya that time Roller!!:big-grin-emoticon:

Our engines are not closed containers. They have vents and as they warm and cool the air gets changed over. Condensation will interact with combustion byproducts and form acids. The real question is how much condensation got in - if it was a heated space or even attached garage there probably isn't much.

I'd replace the oil just to be safe. Filters are pretty inexpensive, I sure wouldn't mess around draining and reinstalling one.

:guitarist 2:Now I am actually glad you beat me to it Roller,,,, now you get to be the one to try and defend our unorthadoxed ways :witch_brew:

PS - Mike from Ohio,, if you were my neighbor and changed your oil at 700 miles I would come over and get your drain oil to use in Tweeks :rotfl:

Change the oil. Leave the filter. IMO

Old oil is not good for an engine if it has been run and stored for a while. The filter is not really an issue here, but cheap enough to not sweat over. Do what makes you not think about what you should have done...

I agree. This is my opinion. Just an opinion mind you. Oil and a filter is cheap insurance. Replacing a motor is not cheap nor an easy task. If you have to ask the question, then it would be to your advantage to change out both. I worked with a guy...well until he was let go yesterday, that owns a 2013 Goldwing. He bought it as new left over model. He has never changed the oil and filter. It has been in there for 3 years since the bike was assembled. His reasoning to not change it is because he only has 1100 miles on the bloody thing. I tried to explain that oil filters are basically paper elements inside. Over time, they degrade, become soft and I for one would not take the chance that the filter may break apart under oil pressure and send particles through the engine. Plus with the filter sitting a lot of that oil has drained out possibly hardening the particles stuck to the sides of the elements, which would reduce the filtering capabilities of the filter. OR....I could just be over thinking things. My wife put less than 500 miles on her Honda Shadow last year and it is getting a new filter and fresh oil this weekend. Just is not worth taking a chance.

Guess I'll have to disagree with the others. With only 700 miles on the filter I'd pull it, drain the oil out of the filter and reinstall it. I see no reason to toss it with 700 miles of use. IMO
I gotta agree with Raggy on this one! Unlike oil, filters don't deteriorate with age! Filters are usually good for 4000 to 5000 miles...

I love discussions like this,, the only thing that would make this funner would be if we were sitting around a camp fire with our feet propped up and roasting a Hot Dog... :think:,,,,, if that were the case, I would probably get up, go help Mike pull the oil from his bike, put in new oil and then take his old oil, drain Tweeks oil and replace it with Mikes bikes drain oil and we would be back at the campfire before the Hot Dogs were done cookin :witch_brew::crackup:

The PERFECT Meet n Greet :checkeredflag:

Put me in the column that says don't change the oil or filter until you get to the mileage that you normally change it. It definitely won't hurt anything to change the oil and filter except your wallet a little and I really don't think it will hurt your engine to leave it in until it reaches the usual mileage schedule.

Put me in the column to change oil and filter. Acids form in the oil from useage and sitting will accumulate in the oil and make life harder on filter and engine. Dino oil really never goes bad...only the additives get used up. Once used up, you are running straight oil. Not bad, but there is a reason for the additives....such as they are. But let's not go there...

Change the oil. And filter. Feel good about protecting your investment.

All this hub bub about whether or not to change a $6 oil filter. Leaves me scratchin' me noggin'

Thats cause your not thinking fourth demensionally again Grasshopper,,, the point is that this thread has got 20 replies to it so far of which more than one of those responses has your name on it.. :rasberry::stirthepot::crackup: :cool10::stickpoke:

Bring a copy of this thread to a "Pucs Meet - Greet and Eat Meat" of your choice and I will get you 6 dollars worth of the best hot dogs known to man Randy :guitarist 2::rotf::happy34:

:big-grin-emoticon:

Thats cause your not thinking fourth demensionally again Grasshopper,,, the point is that this thread has got 20 replies to it so far of which more than one of those responses has your name on it.. :rasberry::stirthepot::crackup: :cool10::stickpoke:

Bring a copy of this thread to a "Pucs Meet - Greet and Eat Meat" of your choice and I will get you 6 dollars worth of the best hot dogs known to man Randy :guitarist 2::rotf::happy34:

:big-grin-emoticon:

Yes, sometimes I let myself get carried away. Now about them thar hot doggies..........................