IGNORED

Looking for my DD214

Venturous Randy

I know a lot on here have no idea what a DD214 is but it is the official document that shows your military discharge and status of the discharge, such as honorable to dishonorable. It is one of those documents that you should never loose.

The reason I am looking for it at this time is I just completed the training class for my conceal carry permit and if you have that document when you apply through the state, then there are some fees that are waved. Probably not a lot, but every bit helps. I did find my birth certificate along with a lot of military documents from basic thru tech school to base reassignments, along with various schools completed. One of the things that jumped out to me is on any document such a load manifest, where a bunch of troops were reassigned together, or promoted together, or put on a plane together as a group, all had their Social Security numbers noted on that piece of paper. Now, this was back in 69 to 73 when they also stenciled your SS number on your duffle bag along with your name. Actually, when I enlisted in Jan 69, we were assigned a service member number, but I believe later on that was just changed to your SS number. Man, how times have changed.

Well, enough rambling. I can look some more or pay the entire fee now, or I can apply for a replacement DD214, which I should have available anyway.

Randy

I remember those days when S.S. # was put on everything. You put that number on your house hold items that might be stolen and the cops could track you down because of that # if they found your stuff.

I went in the Air Force in 67 and before I got out in 71 they had stopped using your S.S. #

You should get that DD214. It will get you some discounts on a lot of things.

Thanks for serving

Went thru the same thing with my Grandfather, he was in WWII. Since we didn't have his dd214 number could not get anything. Said records were destroyed in the warehouse fire. After about 6 months trying one of his friends said when they got back from the War had to register at the county court house. My Mom contacted them and it took about 2 weeks digging thru files in basement and they found it. Once Mom had that she was able to get him benefits and even got his medals replaced.

I've only lived in 2 counties in Ohio but both Stark County and Carroll County has my DD214 on file should I ever lose the original that I have guarded religeously. I can't believe there would be much of a discount on a cc for military service. I have mine for Ohio and Pa and that covers more states than I'll travel

Went thru the same thing with my Grandfather, he was in WWII. Since we didn't have his dd214 number could not get anything. Said records were destroyed in the warehouse fire. After about 6 months trying one of his friends said when they got back from the War had to register at the county court house. My Mom contacted them and it took about 2 weeks digging thru files in basement and they found it. Once Mom had that she was able to get him benefits and even got his medals replaced.

I wasn't aware of that. I'll look into that. Dad was WW2 as well. I wanted more a history of his time served. He never talked of his service, ever. The only thing I do know is he was on the Bataan Death March. Even my brother who is 72 (to my 41) won't talk about it and he lived through Dad being away.

Tis better to have loved and lost than to have never loved.

Your records should be safe. I went in in 1969 as well and my records are good. Only a limited years were effected by the fire.

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/fire-1973.html

I applied and got copies of all my records years back. But still have copies of my DD214 floating around! Thankfully, most places accept copies!!

I've only lived in 2 counties in Ohio but both Stark County and Carroll County has my DD214 on file should I ever lose the original that I have guarded religeously. I can't believe there would be much of a discount on a cc for military service. I have mine for Ohio and Pa and that covers more states than I'll travel

In South Carolina if you are a veteran with any disability at all the state waives the $50 fee.

I'm afraid my problem is I put it up some where that I would not loose it. :doh:

Randy

Hope it turns up brother!! No idea's on how to help Rand BUT wanted to say THANK YOU for your service my friend!! You Veterans are on my hero's list :thumbsup:!!

In Florida, you don't have to take the shooting instruction class to get a concealed carry permit if you are a veteran. That saved me the cost of the class. All of the state laws associated with CC are easily found on their web site, so I read through all of them to make sure I didn't unintentionally violate any laws.

I went in 78 everything was ssan, even when I got out in 96. But they were phasing out putting on some things. I understand now its not even on your DD2 ID card. I registered my "raised seal" 214 at the court house where I separated from in Oklahoma. Guess I should register one here where I live now. But I can fetch a copy of mine in about 2 minutes. I have had to have it a couple times for employment.

randy I lost all of mine in the flood my dd214 and my medals

I contacted the state of MN and the town of brainerd where I joined up. they got me an exact copy of my DD214 and for a small fee of $12 I got all my medals replaced as well.

only thing they could not replace was my old uniform and dress greens. but heck I could not fit in them now anyways LOL

I am a vet, "disabled vet - zero %", which means that I had some medical issue of note while I served but it does not get compensation.

But this is not on the DD-214. I don't think DD-214 states disabilities.

If I want to use it (for any given advantage) I believe I need to get the VA to issue me a document stating such.

It is on my Round-To-It list. (RTI)

So Joe, when I got my CWP in SC, I did not have said documentation and paid the $50.

Anyone here done this? I am retired and got more time for RTI's

The old DD-214 form, I was looking at the enlisted dates and I feel younger now. Mine was 1972, USAF, crew chief F-4 C&D models over in South Korea on the Kun. GOD bless us older ( GENTLEMEN AND WOMEN ) that served. My hat will always be off to those that served and are serving. THANKS

I stopped by the DMV office with my original birth certificate and proof of residence and was told they would not accept the original embossed copy of my birth certificate with my original feet prints on it as I had to go by the health department and get a copy from them. The lady also told me that if I had my DD214 with Honorable Discharge notation that it would save me about $70. So, I am going to look some more and probably order one if I don't find it as I need it anyway.

Randy

In South Carolina you can renew your drivers license with DD-214 in hand and they will print VETERAN on the front.

This may help with a business that offers discounts to Vets, if they want some proof.

And, I often ask a business if they offer Veterans discounts, many will go ahead and give you the military discount if they have one.

(But I keep a shrunk copy of my DD-214 in my wallet anyhow.)