IGNORED

Not-fun ordeal over Christmas

Larry1963

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I think I have mentioned in here before I am retired from the USAF served our country well for 23 years. Now I pastor two small United Methodist Churches in metropolitan of Alapaha GA. It seemed like when I first got in the ministry all the people I did funerals for where in their 80s, 90s, a few in their 70s or 60s. Lately I have had to do funerals for people younger than me (I'm almost 53), or have seen people my age or younger lives changed by weird problems in a split second. I am not sure if I am going through mid-life crises, but it had me thinking. I have always worked hard at what ever I was employed to do, in the AF I was always one of the top person, I could out work everyone. When I joined the ministry I almost didn't get in because they did a physiological test on me (standard procedure for becoming a UM pastor) and they said I was a chronic workaholic. I say all that because I have always put work before my family, friends, and riding.

Well as I was conducting the Christmas ever service, it felt like the dentist shot a thing of Novocain into my left cheek. Well I went through with the service. My wife always likes to bring people over after Christmas eve service for snack/dinner. Well I did not want to be the killjoy of the party so I didn't say anything to anybody, cooked some sausage on the grill and pressed on. Well the party was winding down around midnight and I was help cleaning up, I went to get a drink of bottle water and it just poured down my face. I assured my wife that I was ok but I was heading to the ER. After everyone tucked in I drove myself to the ER, checked in and I mean when they seen my face they got to moving. Hooked me up to all kinds of things giving me shots, and all. They could not believe I waited so long or drove myself to the ER.

Well the Dr. came in and said I think you had a stroke, my first question to him was, can I still ride my motorcycle? He said he do not know (you always have to be ready to ask the important questions). So here I am laying in a bed at the hospital thinking of all the times I didn't ride because there was something else I had to do, something that someone else could of done but hadn't. My prayer was, LORD you get me out of here where I can walk I will ride the wheels off that bike.

Well after several thousand dollars of test, the Dr. come in and gave some good news. 1. I did not have a stroke.. YEA. 2. I had Bell's Palsy and they gave me some meds but said it had to run it course. I had been sick with sinus issues from the first of December, but I was to busy to go to the Dr. well that with all the stress I have been under caused damage to my 7th nerve that controls the left side of my face

Great news is, the doctors says that I should be back to semi-normal looking in two to three weeks. My left eye lid doesn't shut all the way, so that eye drains all the time. Other great news, I asked the Dr can I ride my bike, he told me if I felt like it and can see go for it.

I say all this in my deep thinking way, is to say we have no idea what tomorrow brings. I was suppose to be on a ride on Christmas morning and this weekend, it has been unusually nice here.

But we have no idea what tomorrow brings, with everyday we could of ridden but we didn't for what ever reason, you cannot make it backup. You cannot ride twice as long today to makeup for not riding yesterday.

The other thing I was thinking of while laying in bed with tubes coming out of me and a machine beeping all the time, of all the people I met, that has helped me or influenced me in one way or another that I didn't say thank you to, or that I love you. When the excellent nursing staff was hooking me up and doing all their stuff I even thought I slipped out of the house, didn't tell me wife I love you or my kids. What if that was the last time I was able to see them or able to talk to them. By the time I was in there I was having a hard time talking.

So as we wrap up 2015 and start 2016, lets make sure we have all our personal relationship in good working order. If there needs to be forgiveness in a relationship be the better person and say your sorry first. Make sure everyday that your family, friends know that you love them and appreciate them.

Most of all, lets get out and ride and keep the rubber on the road and the shinny side up!

GOD Bless everyone and may each person here have a Happy New Year and a blessed 2016

Larry

I'm very glad to hear it wasn't a stroke and was an attack of bell's palsy. Neither option was good, but glad of your outcome. After my week last week, I have had my fill of strokes and dementia, and the long last effects both have on family. Please get well soon, and please take time for yourself.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I have a friend who has had Bells Palsy. I cant really tell it on him anymore. He still rides and recently got married. He got his at about 45 years of age. There is a lot of wisdom in your words. I lost my dad a little over a year ago. I had plenty of time to talk to him, but couldn't express everything I wanted to say. My how I wish I could go back and talk to him some more.

I'm glad this little hiccup in your life will straighten itself out. It just makes you more aware of everything! Wishing you all the best!

Hokey spamokey brother!!:scared: WOW,,, THANK THE LORD IT WAS NOT A STROKE BROTHER!!! Prayers Up and Blessings Down my friend!!!

I went thru the Bells Palsy stuff many years ago too (when I was 24). While it was scary (just like you - thinking I had stroked out), the end prognosis of Bells Palsy was a God send! Mine affected the left side of my face, it was like a death line was drawn right down the center of my face, I use to look at myself in the bathroom mirror and smile and my smile would wrap around my face in the weirdest way as the muscles that had the nerves still working on the right side pulled the non-working mass toward itself,, really strange.. Wore an eye patch to keep my left eye closed while waiting for the nerves to come back. Got about 6 weeks into the whole thing before they sent me for some therapy. The therapist was really upset because they waited so long to get me in to see her. Therapy consisted of electrical stimulation with two probes to activate the muscles that were now laying dormant. After a couple weeks of therapy the therapist told me that I would probably end up with some permanent damage to some of the small motor muscles because they had waited so long to get me in to see her. She set me up with a small home stimulator so I could do electrical stimulation throughout the day and was actually kind of fun.. Once you know the location of the nerves on your face and neck it is very easy to do!! I did end up with motor muscle damage in my eye, nose and mouth from it all - if I tighten my lips right now my left eye will go closed. That kind of stuff..

Larry, knowing what I know now about Bells Palsy, I would strongly urge you to talk to your doctor NOW about getting you started on electrical stimulation therapy. There is no way they can accurately predict how long it will take for the irritated nerve(s) to calm down and for muscular movement to return. The stimulation is very simple and painless. The sooner they can get the muscles moving again (especially those small motor muscles) the more promising it is to see a total return!!

Will be thinking of you and praying for you while you work thru it!! :thumbsup:

God bless

Puc

Larry, knowing what I know now about Bells Palsy, I would strongly urge you to talk to your doctor NOW about getting you started on electrical stimulation therapy. There is no way they can accurately predict how long it will take for the irritated nerve(s) to calm down and for muscular movement to return. The stimulation is very simple and painless. The sooner they can get the muscles moving again (especially those small motor muscles) the more promising it is to see a total return!!

Will be thinking of you and praying for you while you work thru it!! :thumbsup:

God bless

Puc

Puc, do you know the voltage they use, and is it AC or DC, I am kind of a tinker and do it yourself kind of guy. Just thinking that I could pull the lamp cord out and strip the ends a bit and do my own electrical shock therapy.

Funny the ER doctor never said anything about therapy, he did tell me to follow up with my primary care doctor. But he just basicly said most times it goes away on its own and sometimes there is some nerve damage and sometimes there isn't. For how quick I got on the meds he seemed to think it would heal quickly. However, I was just doing some light cleaning and finally read the paper the ER gave me and it talked about getting into some kind of therapy. I will be calling my doctor tomorrow morning.

I wrenched my back once while in the AF, the military does not believe in chiropractors, so each day, 5 days a week at 6 am, I had to go to the physical therapy and do all kinds of stretching exercises, that I thought were going to kill me, then she would have me get into a hot tube, then shower and then I would get an hour massage. The young lady was a captain and very good looking. There was no hanky-panky everything was professional, but that was the best six weeks of my life. I wonder if I can get that again with this. LOL I should have married that woman. A couple months after my treatment was done, we went out for a while, but she broke up with me saying that I already had a wife, my job...........

Larry

Hate hearing that, especially you having to drive yourself to the ER at Christmas time. Have a friend of mine that woke up one morning back in the early 80's with one side of his face all drooped down and was diagnosed with Bells. It took years before his face was back to being close to normal and still has issues with his eye. When he smiles or laughs though, you can still see that the affected side does not function the same as the other side of his face.

Hope you are back in the saddle real soon!

Godspeed,

Larry

Puc, do you know the voltage they use, and is it AC or DC, I am kind of a tinker and do it yourself kind of guy. Just thinking that I could pull the lamp cord out and strip the ends a bit and do my own electrical shock therapy.

Funny the ER doctor never said anything about therapy, he did tell me to follow up with my primary care doctor. But he just basicly said most times it goes away on its own and sometimes there is some nerve damage and sometimes there isn't. For how quick I got on the meds he seemed to think it would heal quickly. However, I was just doing some light cleaning and finally read the paper the ER gave me and it talked about getting into some kind of therapy. I will be calling my doctor tomorrow morning.

I wrenched my back once while in the AF, the military does not believe in chiropractors, so each day, 5 days a week at 6 am, I had to go to the physical therapy and do all kinds of stretching exercises, that I thought were going to kill me, then she would have me get into a hot tube, then shower and then I would get an hour massage. The young lady was a captain and very good looking. There was no hanky-panky everything was professional, but that was the best six weeks of my life. I wonder if I can get that again with this. LOL I should have married that woman. A couple months after my treatment was done, we went out for a while, but she broke up with me saying that I already had a wife, my job...........

Larry

GOOD QUESTIONS LAR!! First thing the therapist did was to determine whether I was an AC or a DC kind of person. She tried both and determined I responded best to DC. I ended up with a small battery powered take home unit. The electrodes looked similar to ohm meter probes. Just turned it on, probed around till I hit the nerve coming out of the side of my skull (kind of below and rear of my ear) - felt nothing till I touched on the nerve and when it did the left side of my face would tighten up.. Much later in life I had to use a very similar unit on my legs..

Gotta run Tip to the Surgeons office for a checkup here, back in a bit!!:happy34:

Hey Larry! glad to hear you're gonna be OK!

Hope you don't mind me quoting those words of wisdom of yours to all my friends and family. No truer words were spoken!

"So as we wrap up 2015 and start 2016, lets make sure we have all our personal relationship in good working order. If there needs to be forgiveness in a relationship be the better person and say your sorry first. Make sure everyday that your family, friends know that you love them and appreciate them. "

Larry

Glad to hear you are going to be ok. Next time don't wait. GO TO THE ER IMMEDIATELY. I had a friend who had similar symptoms on Christmas eve last year. He died in bed early Christmas morning. You see he didn't go to the ER. We live in an age of miraculous medicine. We just have to be wise enough to take advantage of it.

Mike

Hate hearing that, especially you having to drive yourself to the ER at Christmas time. Have a friend of mine that woke up one morning back in the early 80's with one side of his face all drooped down and was diagnosed with Bells. It took years before his face was back to being close to normal and still has issues with his eye. When he smiles or laughs though, you can still see that the affected side does not function the same as the other side of his face.

Hope you are back in the saddle real soon!

Godspeed,

Larry

Funny thing with this is I cannot smile or laugh and talk at the same time. I will get in the middle of a joke, and I can't finish because I will be smiling to much.

Lary1963....I went through something similar about 20 years ago. I was lucky enough to get through it with no lasting effects but I contribute that to two things....lots of rest and my good friend was a RMT and so I had many good head and neck massages.

Even after I got through it, it was still many years later if I got real tired, it still felt like that side of my face was drooping, even though it wasn't.

Good luck.

Glad to know it wasn't a stroke and that you'll get over this fairly quickly Larry.

Also glad to hear you are able to ride the tires off that bike, hopefully many sets!

Life can change in an instant and we never know what might hidden around the next bend.

God provides us with so many great things to see in this world but never enough time for us to see them all.

Get out there and ride like the wind and see as many as you can.

Funny thing with this is I cannot smile or laugh and talk at the same time. I will get in the middle of a joke, and I can't finish because I will be smiling to much.

LOL, although I know it isn't funny at all. My friend sorta looks like Popeye when he smiles or laughs. He had a hard time with it for a while. He had a complex associated with his problems. But over time, he learned to live with it and now, it hardly crosses his mind. It's a very odd disease to say the least. Do hope you overcome this bump in the road very quickly. Keep us updated and hope you have a Happy New Year and able to talk and laugh right thru it all.

LOL, although I know it isn't funny at all. My friend sorta looks like Popeye when he smiles or laughs. He had a hard time with it for a while. He had a complex associated with his problems. But over time, he learned to live with it and now, it hardly crosses his mind. It's a very odd disease to say the least. Do hope you overcome this bump in the road very quickly. Keep us updated and hope you have a Happy New Year and able to talk and laugh right thru it all.

Knowing it is not life threatening, my daughter laughs all the time when she sees me smile. Her and I were at the gym the other night and I was doing some free weights and she was on a treadmill she looked back at me and the face I was making and almost fell off the treadmill.

I am not do worried about looks anymore, at my age, size........ Just one more thing that makes me unique. Just do not tell me I cannot ride my motorcycle.

My eye will blink some now and doesn't drain all the time, which means I can see better, but man my mouth is messed up.

Worst part about this, to me, I cannot open my mouth to eat anything big, I had to cut up a hamburger and a slice of pizza the other day. Now for weight loss this maybe the thing I needed......

Thanks for you thoughts and prayers

Hi , Larry. I too am glad that this was not a more serious issue for you. As we age, life seems a bit more finite, and therefore becomes just a bit more precious. We just don't know what is in store for us. I am in your age bracket, and can relate to the mid life crisis you mentioned. A few years ago, I was almost obsessed with these kind of negative thoughts, wondering when my time would be up. Thankfully, it doesn't bother me much anymore. This is one of the reasons why I bought my motorcycle after not having ridden for over 25 years. I loved riding when I was young, and figured that I may as well do something I enjoyed as much as possible while I am able. That, I think has helped my mental state the most.

Cheers.

Dale.