IGNORED

Jet Skis

Freebird

Well now what have I done. Eileen has wanted some Jet Skies for many years. I've never even ridden one but I'm sure it is fun. Ran across a deal on two Kawasaki STX 1100s sitting on a double trailer and they came with a towable thing, ropes, 6 nice life jackets, etc. They are older, 1999 models with about 75 hours on them. Pristine condition and just completely checked out by a reputable dealer. I offered him a LOT less that he was asking and because he was wanting to move fast on a pontoon boat that he had found, he accepted my offer.

Crap....I'm sure they will be fun but I've heard horror stories about keeping these things running.

Anybody know anything about these Kawasakis? All I've found says that they are pretty reliable, 1100cc triples, about 120 HP. Some say top speed of around 63 MPH but most say mid to high 50s. They are 3 person skis and labeled "touring" models. Whatever that means.

00q0q_8idm6Reb8z6_600x450.jpg

Well my name is cdoo= Sea Doo, I owned them for years, its the most fun you can have with your clothes on! Dont run them in weeds or shallow water, you are probably going to be running in fresh water which is good, still I would flush and fog them after every use. We ran mostly salt water and if you flush and fog they are very low maint. The 3 seaters are great, very stable and hook up and plane very easily, but its hard to jump with them. Any questions let me know.

Craig

I will have to learn how to properly maintain them. I did find an online service manual that I've downloaded and will study. Doesn't seem to be a heck of a lot to do so it shouldn't be a big deal. I've read that these are very stable. They are pretty big, over 10ft long and fairly wide too I guess. They are supposed to be very stable and yet the reports are that they are fairly quick considering their size and weight, about 600 lbs. I think I really got a good deal on them so can probably get my money back if I want to but I expect they are going to be a blast. Like I said, I've never even been on one. Started to rent one a few times but they are expensive to rent.

Great purchase, I don't know anything about your Kawasakis, but I have had a Sea Doo 3 person since new in 2001. We water ski behind it still and tubing. We get lots of use with ours and I have never done a thing to it other then winterizing it.

Boating I would describe as pleasurable, jet skiing is thrilling. It is so much fun. If you are close to the water it is great to just go out and jump waves for half and hour to an hour. much more then that if you are jumping waves takes its toll on your knees.

Your going to have a lot of fun. Now you just need the time to get out there, oh ya and the good warm weather too.

I had a Kawi Jet Ski for a while. On smooth water... mine did in fact run 60mph. One rough water due to wind or traffic... 60 will beat you to death. 45mph about the fastest we cared for if the water wasn't smooth. Hope you guys have a blast on them. Ours did not get much use so we sold it. Seems we always ended up on the pontoon boat. It has more beer holders. ;)

With a 1200cc 3-seater you'd be a REAL 53-55mph as the speedometer tends to be very exaggerated. My Yamaha GP1200 2-seater that was designed as a "race" ski will pull 58mph on a GPS when the dash shows 65mph. That ski will also beat you up on even a little bit of chop. The Yamaha Wave Venture I have is a 3-seater cruiser with a deeper draft that sits much nicer in the water when out cruising. If you run them W.O.T. you'll be lucky to get an hour 1/2 out of a tank, but back off just a bit and you'll ride all day on a tank.

As for maintenance: If you run in a deeper/cleaner lake they should be pretty simple, and really no different than normal maintenance on the bike. If they don't already have a hose attachment get one installed, flush every couple of rides or when they will be sitting for an extended period. If you are running in shallow/sandy water like I do I have added strainers on the intake lines. I'll explain more if you need to know. The biggest issue 2-strokes have is oil starvation, make sure to keep the oil tank topped off with good TW-3 oil and make sure the oil lines to the carbs are in good shape. Same as the bike, a 5 min visual inspection now and again goes a long way.

Winter storage for me has always been: Stabil the fuel (or drain if possible) and run for a few minutes to circulate into the whole system. Then oil-fog down the throat of the carbs till the ski stalls, pull plugs and fog each cylinder. Spray down the engine/electrical with silicone, drop a bit of RV antifreeze into the engine, disconnect battery and store it away.

A jet ski is the best thing to own when the weather gets to hot to ride your bike.

Let me know if you intend on towing them behind our boat and I'll send you some plans that will keep the skis from hitting the back of your boat.

Would like to see those plans. You can email them to me at dnelson@venturerider.org if you get a chance.

With a 1200cc 3-seater you'd be a REAL 53-55mph as the speedometer tends to be very exaggerated. My Yamaha GP1200 2-seater that was designed as a "race" ski will pull 58mph on a GPS when the dash shows 65mph. That ski will also beat you up on even a little bit of chop. The Yamaha Wave Venture I have is a 3-seater cruiser with a deeper draft that sits much nicer in the water when out cruising. If you run them W.O.T. you'll be lucky to get an hour 1/2 out of a tank, but back off just a bit and you'll ride all day on a tank.

As for maintenance: If you run in a deeper/cleaner lake they should be pretty simple, and really no different than normal maintenance on the bike. If they don't already have a hose attachment get one installed, flush every couple of rides or when they will be sitting for an extended period. If you are running in shallow/sandy water like I do I have added strainers on the intake lines. I'll explain more if you need to know. The biggest issue 2-strokes have is oil starvation, make sure to keep the oil tank topped off with good TW-3 oil and make sure the oil lines to the carbs are in good shape. Same as the bike, a 5 min visual inspection now and again goes a long way.

Winter storage for me has always been: Stabil the fuel (or drain if possible) and run for a few minutes to circulate into the whole system. Then oil-fog down the throat of the carbs till the ski stalls, pull plugs and fog each cylinder. Spray down the engine/electrical with silicone, drop a bit of RV antifreeze into the engine, disconnect battery and store it away.

Thanks for the great tips. I'll be coming back to this thread and printing out these tips I'm sure.

http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Strainer-Marine-Filter-Shurflo/dp/B00EDR045C/ref=sr_1_12?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1427736064&sr=1-12&keywords=shurflo

What I used on my MasterCraft Jet Skis (yes, that mastercraft, Yamaha 61x 701cc motors in different shells) was very similar to this link. I found them in the McMaster-Carr catalog with the correct sized barbed fittings on both ends. I'm also lucky as McMaster-Carr's main distribution in Elmhurst is right on my way home from the office.