IGNORED

people of WalMart

Hummingbird

One bad guy to the other bad guy:

Forget grabbing her purse, grab that handgun she's got hanging on her side!!

Don't want to start a flame war here. But here is my personal opinion. Wright or wrong it is what I think.

If bad guys reach for the purse and miss they just run off. If they try for the gun and miss. It may not go so well. Most thinking bad guys don't want to take a chance on getting shot or take on an armed citizen. They are looking for soft targets. That said I am a proponent of open carry. I would prefer to know if a person I am talking to is armed. Also in my opinion carrying deep concealed is very close to carrying unloaded.

Mike

I'm very pleased to see folks able to do this, but open carry has never been my thing. It makes a lot of people uncomfortable, and that's not what I want to do. Like Cowpuc said, that weapon looks like it'd be easy to grab by a crook. If it's concealed, it may take an extra second to access, but that's where situational awareness comes in. Whether you're carrying or not, keep that Spidey sense frosty. :guitarist 2:

I'm very pleased to see folks able to do this, but open carry has never been my thing. It makes a lot of people uncomfortable, and that's not what I want to do. Like Cowpuc said, that weapon looks like it'd be easy to grab by a crook. If it's concealed, it may take an extra second to access, but that's where situational awareness comes in. Whether you're carrying or not, keep that Spidey sense frosty. :guitarist 2:

Good advice. Also, I'm a big fan of a similar holster with a thumb break; it makes the weapon a lot tougher to yank away. You have to be a lot more deliberate about drawing it from the holster.

looks like a police woman off duty on her way home picking up some last minute items.

looks like she is wearing a duty type watch and has either a clip case or badge case on the left side of her belt, and the hair cut.

just my guess. but she probably does shop at walmat a lot.

There was a case here where a guy always open carried. Several times he had a muzzle against the back of his neck and the only thing he could do was to give them his gun. Open carry in an area that open carry is common is fine. Open carry in an area where it is not common is a target.

If there is something bad going down, the bad guy already has his gun out, any open carry will be watched very close and shot the moment they move, or just shot out rite to eliminate the threat.

As mentioned, I prefer the element of surprise.

Plus the fact that open carry makes you a walking gun cabinet. How easy would it be for a kid to thump a person, like the lady in the pic, over the head with a can of beans and bingo - instant robbery weapon. Not only that, but I have heard of folks getting robbed for a couple bucks, if the bad guys see a person with 900 bucks (or more) worth of handgun and 300 dollars worth of ammo (I know, I am stretching that but it sure seems that way these days) hanging on their side it seems like that would be a major attractant for theft in itself.

Years ago we rode around with an easy rider rifle rack (my oh my, been a long time..) in our pickup windows with our rifles hanging in plain site - what a beautiful thing! That came to an abrupt end as more and more people got killed and robbed or truck windows got broken and guns removed. Same with those gorgeous gun cabinets filled with thousands of dollars of guns and ammo.. Remember those days? Everybody and their brother had gorgeous glass windowed display cases - days gone by because, just like the comment about open carry making the women a target, it made the home owner a HUGE target from a variety of bad people.

Plus the fact that open carry makes you a walking gun cabinet. How easy would it be for a kid to thump a person, like the lady in the pic, over the head with a can of beans and bingo - instant robbery weapon. Not only that, but I have heard of folks getting robbed for a couple bucks, if the bad guys see a person with 900 bucks (or more) worth of handgun and 300 dollars worth of ammo (I know, I am stretching that but it sure seems that way these days) hanging on their side it seems like that would be a major attractant for theft in itself.

Years ago we rode around with an easy rider rifle rack (my oh my, been a long time..) in our pickup windows with our rifles hanging in plain site - what a beautiful thing! That came to an abrupt end as more and more people got killed and robbed or truck windows got broken and guns removed. Same with those gorgeous gun cabinets filled with thousands of dollars of guns and ammo.. Remember those days? Everybody and their brother had gorgeous glass windowed display cases - days gone by because, just like the comment about open carry making the women a target, it made the home owner a HUGE target from a variety of bad people.

You are extremely correct - in the late 1960's A friend and I was driving to the dump (prior to landfills) and got stopped in a surprise vehicle safety check. The state patrol had a road block set up and giving every vehicle a safety check. When it came our turn, I had my driver license ready and 3 rifles, a couple pistols and ammo laying on the back seat.

Patrolman checked the lights etc and looked in the car and saw the artillary and asked where we were going. I told him to the Hanoverton dump to shoot rats, OK be careful was his only response.

Had that same incident occured yesterday or today, I'd be calling someone from the nearest jail to come get me out.

Times have certainly changed !!

Opinions expressed are my own and are not endorsed by management. Or anyone else for that matter. If bad guys wanted to knock someone over the head and take a firearm cops would be going down everywhere. They, the cops, are not immune to a can of tomato soup to the head any more than you or I. And they are open carrying firearm. Ok. I am sure it happens, someone does get cold cocked and their firearm taken but that is the rare exception. More often than not if a bad guy sees you carrying he will by-pass you and go somewhere else. Also a good retention holster makes it very difficult for someone to walk up behind you and take your gun. It is just safer to steal from a store in the middle of the night, preferably when nobody is around.

A friend and I were open carrying and having a discussion at Starbucks in a local Safeway store. Where by the way we are known to the store manager. There is a small bank branch next to the Starbucks. Again all inside the Safeway grocery store. Sometime after we left the bank was robbed. A later review of the surveillance tapes revealed the robbers were there while we were having coffee. They spied our side arms and left, returning a couple of times until they were sure we were gone. Only then did they rob the bank. Since they haven't been caught yet I can not say for sure how much of a deterrent our being armed was. But I think it was significant. Too bad more patrons weren't armed. That said four cops were shot and killed at another local coffee shop a couple of years ago while they were just sitting there before their shift. So bad things do happen. Too bad more patrons weren't armed.

Mike