IGNORED

Planning the site upgrade

Freebird

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going crazy till I remembered Touring Hogs.. I just went over there and let my fingers have fun.... Looked around for any other mutineers,,, I even had time to stick the very first poll up on Touring Hogs searching for them... Ironically, there was only one other person who voted on the poll and he wasnt very nice at all, more of like the king of mutineers if ya ask me:rotf:... http://www.touringhogs.com/showthread.php?283-Did-you-come-to-Touring-Hogs-and-visit-while-VR-was-down

All and all I had fun while the site was down but,,, be it ever so humble,,, there's no place like VR..:bighug:

Thanks again for all your hard work Boss:backinmyday:!!

Puc

I vote for CONGAC and Chrome,,, everybody comments and stops to gaze on the congac, and it would make me feel right at home.

Thats not even a venture colour ( color ). But for the sake of multiculturalism (Plus the fear of being accused of being a bigot) I will not disclose were you acquired your slanted (shoot did I say slanted out loud...OOPS) opinion for choice of colour (color) :witch_brew:

Hey Don is there a risk of loosing all the read only and other tech info? Should I start downloading everything I think I might need in the future? or will it be safely restored to the new site?

Good point. My guess would be all my 1st gen 'survival' bookmarks might be lost. On the other hand I would think they would be retrievable with the search feature ?

That is exactly right. They can't make money on new versions if they continue to support the old versions that folks are happy with.

Yesterday was a nightmare folks. I spent literally all day trying to upgrade the site. Tried many different ways but all failed. Many hours of sitting in from of the computer and waiting for steps to complete and etc. Finally got to the point last night where it showed everything was finally completed. At that point, you delete the install directory, enter your username and password for the admin panel and go there to make your final settings. Entered username and password and guess what? Completely blank white screen. home page, forum, admin panel....all white screens. Over the course of the day, I tried 3 or 4 different ways of doing it. The only time I actually got the site to come up with all the new software was with a complete clean install but it was just a blank forum. No users, no topics created, all old posts and information gone. So I started over again. Then the blank pages.

At that point, I had been working on this thing for about 10 hours and I knew that enough was enough. I knew that because Eileen told me so. :( I just restored everything to the way it was when I started and called it a night.

It must be done though. I will figure it out. I have to ask though, I know that a couple of you have told me that you are system admins and etc. but does anybody here have experience with VBulletin? I sure could have used somebody to bounce some questions and ideas off of. I posted a couple of questions to the official VBulletin forum and though I got a couple of responses, none of them helped.

That was one of the things that I tried and will be looking further into. The problem is, the new version of the Vbulletin software uses a different database structure. I think that is what I ran into trying to upgrade. There are 109 steps to the upgrade. At step 104, it stalled. That step is trying to update setting tables. It sat there for a long time and when I looked in the Cpanel, it showed no process running. I assume that PHP timed out. Not sure yet.

So the upgrade modifies the database but trying to import a database from a backup would not work...I don't think. What I did yesterday was to create a new database by copying the existing one and giving it a new name. That way I was able to try these things without corrupting the original.

Sounds like a day in HE LL ! If no members are versed in vbulletin and are willing to offer help, are there pro's we could hire? Myself, I'd be willing to contribute to an upgrade fund to help pay a professional.

Whatever way you decide, I wish you luck in getting this done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

That is a possibility. I'm kind of the same way I am about taking my bike to a dealer though. I have a hard time letting somebody else mess with my stuff. Nobody cares about it as much as I do.

I understand your wanting to do it yourself, but, sometimes we need to seek the help of those who have the knowledge to accomplish the goal at hand. After all, isn't that what brought most of us here in the first place? If you need help, I could come by and hand you the beers & apple pie while you make your next attempt! :stickpoke:

With clear lines of understanding on what your wants & needs are, there's someone that could do it or at least be available as a paid consultant that would provide you with guidance.

Yes, they have a forum and I've posted some questions there but haven't gotten the right answers yet.

As I sat here thinking about it this morning, I thunk another thought. That is VERY dangerous to me but there it is. So...I'm going to put the thought that I thunk into action and see if it works. Not sure when because I have to get to my real job now but soon....vewy vewy soon.

...So the upgrade modifies the database but trying to import a database from a backup would not work...I don't think. What I did yesterday was to create a new database by copying the existing one and giving it a new name. That way I was able to try these things without corrupting the original.

With a new db structure, usually an import of old data will fill in the fields necessary. If you can run the install of the newer vBulletin as an "upgrade" it will convert the existing db to the new layout, adding fields, putting data in the right ones.

If the old version is too old, you might have to do incremental upgrades to get there.

Did a search...on vBulletin site it says :

Easy upgrader tool

Convert your database with easy-to-use tool

Works with vBulletin 3.x to 3.8.7 plus all versions of vBulletin 4

Also provide easy conversion from IPB x. etc.

I take it you tried the upgrader tool ? That would convert the old version to the new. Says it works with 3.x versions.

Guest Jarhead Biker
Orange and black...yea....that sounds nice. :witch_brew:

Yeah! Orange and Black. My alma mater colors! Globe High Tigers! I like that idea! :fingers-crossed-emo