IGNORED

winter storage

cwkane

My question to everyone is who puts their bike up on a lift during the winter months? with my old bike I used a tilting lift (same principal as center stand) however this bike needs mods to the lift to work. I have an 05 RSV. Any harm in letting it sit on its wheels all winter and not move? I would think flat spots would be an issue?

I never did anything different than I do in the summer, other than try to make sure the gas tank is full and the carbs are empty and the tires are pumped to spec's.

Second that, along with an additive for the ethanol and you've turned off the petcock.

And don't start it up every two weeks! Absolutely NO reason for doing that.

I put gym type floor pad to separate tires from concrete and leave it on the side stand. Usually top up fuel tank add a can of seafoam run it for a few minutes to ensure the mix gets into the carbs. Shut off petcock. Change oil and filter, test coolant, ensure tires are at right pressure, hook up battery tender and put cover on bike. Usually do this in mid november when snow starts here.

:snow2::canada:

Last year I spent the winter in New Hampshire. (Been away from "Home" for a long, long time.) Took my VStar with me....and the VStar 950 sat in a rental storage unit all winter. No AC power. No heat.

I put Stabil in the full gas tank and ran it for a few miles to circulate. Put tire air to proper pressure. Cleaned her up. Put her in storage unit on sidestand. Put cover on. Left with eyes leaking.

Would visit, once in a while... just to say hi...if the snow wasn't to deep to get there!

In Spring.....took her outside and started her up. Let her run for about 10 minutes in chilly 40 air. Turned her off and pushed her back in. More leaky eyes. Missed riding in Arizona!

No troubles at all with tires, side stand, battery or fuel. I tribute the battery luck to the couple of years I used the Battery Tender before the NH trip.

Back in AZ now...and smiling. The weather has cooled down...so it's now riding season for me until May! Whoo Hoo! Two scoots, no waiting! Enjoying this...

Pictures to come as I ride around Southern AZ. Not to gloat for those of you are are winterbound/snowbound...but to help you overcome those darn leaky eyes as you see your scoot in Winter's grip.

david

I put gym type floor pad to separate tires from concrete and leave it on the side stand. Usually top up fuel tank add a can of seafoam run it for a few minutes to ensure the mix gets into the carbs. Shut off petcock. Change oil and filter, test coolant, ensure tires are at right pressure, hook up battery tender and put cover on bike. Usually do this in mid november when snow starts here.

:snow2::canada:

Second this :sign yeah that:

I usually put whole can of seafom in half or near empty gas tank run bike until white smoke start pouring out of pipes. Top of with high grade ( Octane) gas, shake bike and add another can of seafom. Top off tire pressure , hookup to Battery Tender and start a bike once a month, just to let blood circulate. you can move bike few inches just relief tire pressure points, which I never did. I use synthetic engine oil, and change only if is time for oil change by milage. Never had a problem.

Don't use Stabile, that is crap, and can gunk carbs, if not used correctly. Seafoam can not do any harm to carbs nor other parts of bike, even is beneficial.

Other thing is to buy heated clothing, and if weather is clear, with no ice on road , take for spin, just to make everybody else jealous :doh: and do rotation of tires.:rotf:

Second that, along with an additive for the ethanol and you've turned off the petcock.

And don't start it up every two weeks! Absolutely NO reason for doing that.

I do like to start it once or twice over the Winter just to change the position of the cam, so that it alternates the valve springs that are compressed during storage.

I suppose all it'd take to do that is a quick press of the starter button without actually starting it.

Point being......I don't like leaving a motor in the same position too long.

Just my $0.02:cool10:

The thing with starting a stored engine.

I you are going to start it you need to get it out and drive it to get everything fully warmed up. If you don't, you are doing the engine and trans more harm than good. The harm comes from not fully warming everything up. When not fully warmed up you will get condensation of water inside of the engine as it cools down. This condensation will cause rust damage to gears and bearings.

Just letting it idle for a half hour will warm up the engine, but still does not heat up the oil and parts in the transmission.