IGNORED

took our first "Trip"

baylensman

So I know this weekend was the Fla M&E, However the Light of my Life is not used to long trips on the bike yet. I couldn't get her to agree to running 3 1/2 hrs to St Augustine (she won't go on the interstate on the back yet) I did get her to go to Weechi Wackee springs about an hour north of here. We took mostly secondary roads and wiggled up the coast from St Pete.

So next step is to get some rear arm rests and try a longer trip with maybe a few miles of interstate (maybe Orlando of Silver springs) in a month or so.

So do avoid numb butt what's the best option for the passenger seat?

Will having headsets help?

Any other suggestion for 2 to 3 hour trip from St Pete with minimal interstate usage?

:7_6_3[1]:

So I know this weekend was the Fla M&E, However the Light of my Life is not used to long trips on the bike yet. I couldn't get her to agree to running 3 1/2 hrs to St Augustine (she won't go on the interstate on the back yet) I did get her to go to Weechi Wackee springs about an hour north of here. We took mostly secondary roads and wiggled up the coast from St Pete.

So next step is to get some rear arm rests and try a longer trip with maybe a few miles of interstate (maybe Orlando of Silver springs) in a month or so.

So do avoid numb butt what's the best option for the passenger seat?

Will having headsets help?

Any other suggestion for 2 to 3 hour trip from St Pete with minimal interstate usage?

:7_6_3[1]:

Give her a camera and let her take pics, fire up the head sets to communicate, Let her choose the music, A sheep skin cover works for numbutt symptoms.....

Having headsets would certainly help. My better half likes them as we can communicate and also listen to music. She appreciates me giving her a heads up on what moves I am about to pull on the bike. This way she can also let me know if there are any issues going on for her with the ride.

Understand you, mine also gets tired or bored after 1 to 2 hours on the bike. Frequent stops help, but have not been able to realy take long distance trips with her yet. I am focussing on making sure she is enjoying the rides and gradually working our times up. Weather has to be perfect though.

:canada:

5 years ago Robin wouldn't go near a motorcycle. Now I can't get her off of it. she started out with short trips. We just added a few more miles and different roads each time we went out. The pillow top seats helped out a lot for numb butt. This summer we took a 10 day trip to Maggie Valley and the Tail of the dragon. About 2700 miles total. Then in September we took a 6 day trip through the New England states, another 1500 miles. She says its like seeing the world in a whole different way. Once you start, you can't get enough.

This may be a long shot Bay but what the heck, when it comes to getting rid of numb butt anything is worth a try..

It is possible that just being new to biking and riding tensed up can cause it.. You might discuss with her the idea of focusing on doing some relaxing techniques while she is riding.. Perhaps the Arm Rests that you suggested would increase her sense of security and help in relaxing too,, not a bad idea IMHO.

Being uncomfortable with moving her legs around, changing foot positions, partially standing up occasionally long before the numbness sets in can all contribute greatly too..

Besides being able to see 360 degrees and being in the fresh air, one of the really great things my wife enjoys about riding the bike cross country instead of being in a "Cage" is exactly that,,, being able to move around while on the go to avoid the "numbness" from riding in a car...

Bottom line,, I, like lots of folks on here, cannot count the times that I have suggested a newbie rider spend time in a parking lot alone, getting accustomed to their bike before hitting the open road.. Practice makes perfect so to speak.. I personally think someone who is new to being a passenger deserves the same opportunity to get alone with her hubby and the bike, developing passenger skills (riding on the back takes some learned skill too you know).. That all being said, I would stay off the highways and crowded area's until she is comfortable and tells you she is ready, nothing wrong with that..

Our local Harley shop uses their parking lot for training purposes so they have it all painted up and laid out.. Tip and I love to sneak down there and practice two up slow riding, keeping those "riding together skills" up to snuff.. Good place to have her standing up on the rider pegs while I am coming to stop,,, that kinda stuff..

Best wishes getting control of the numbness,, you two ride YOUR ride and and see where it leads!

:080402gudl_prv:

Puc

I too would agree with the headsets. We actually talk more on the bike than we do when at home or in the car. Once she asked me why and stupid me said something dumb like "cause I don't have to look at ya" and immediately got smashed upside the head. 'course we had a good laugh and cruised on.

Like Puc said, being relaxed is part of the journey. I told her to let me worry about the road; you take pictures, talk, sing, talk to your mum on the phone if'n ya want, do what ever and have a good time. Me, I'll crank up my tunes and ride...

As stated frequent stops helps. We found it helps to stop before feeling the need to stop and stretch. Waiting until numb butt sets in and then stopping leads to quicker numb butt once you start rolling again.

Bluetooth headsets with her own choice of musics helps also

I put a "leash" on the wifes phone a couple years back. Its a camera strap really. But it keeps her from dropping the phone on the road somewhere. She takes pictures with it. Texts her friends, plays games. Mostly when we are stuck on the interstates. Seating makes a big difference and the pillow top is aces. If she is getting numb butt form sitting I would bet its leg/foot position vs seat itself. Headsets I think are necessary for longer trips. We usually stop every couple hours 165 miles or so.

Great tips and information here already,

Cage, Good think you are wearing a helmet!

Puc, thanks for your input, great read!

My wife and I use headsets as well, they are great, I have a stereo on my fairing and use it one up riding, as Lori likes to have the calm of the ride with no music, till recently, now she wants to Rock...and she does,..:cool10:

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s564/Darrin-GT/1997%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Makeover/20140720_162715_zpsdc1e3307.jpg

The headsets are also nice to let her know when I see a Bump coming up that she cant, and she lets me know when she sees deer. That took some sorting out, She used to say "Deer" when she would see some back in a field, That would get my attention and not in a good way. Now she says "field Deer" in that situation, If she says "Deer!" that means there is one on the side of the road.

Like others said take stops as she wants or even before she wants to. Get some coffee, check out a roadside shop, do what she likes, and it will help her relax and enjoy your trips together. Try to avoid racing Harleys all the time,, Not good for her stress level,...Just saying,..

Try to avoid racing Harleys all the time,, Not good for her stress level,...Just saying

How? I just love the look on their faces:rotf: when you just walk away without having to down shift.......

True That, Just saying that it may not be good for your wife's stress level,. But I have to say our last race was against my buddy's 2012 Victory Cross Country 1700, After we beat him and my wife came on the intercom and said,.."well that was fun!"

So she may like it,..Give it a try,..:080402gudl_prv: