IGNORED

International Rally Grand Prize

Freebird

Considering this is an "International" and people come from all over.... a gas card from a U.S. company may not work in Canada/Australia/Iceland. VISA/Mastercard works globally.

A gift card from one of the sponsors is a nice idea but if you don't spend all of the credit then it is lost. And considering what shipping out of the U.S. costs...it takes a big chunk of the winnings.

My vote is for a prepaid VISA or Mastercard. That way everyone is happy and get what they need/want whether it is clothing, bike parts/service, hotels, gas, food, pay bills....

Another option is for more prizes at the International. People could buy tickets for raffle items and put their tickets towards items they want. For example...carb tune, yearly membership, $100 credits from vendors (like Motorcycle Superstore, Diamond R, or Amazon, Aerostitch, Rumbling Pride), gas cards - maybe $100 or $250 cards.

When there is one large ticket item, one ticket is drawn, one person wins, and it is all over. With multiple items more people "win". Only issue is that someone has to outlay cash before the rally to get the items/gift cards.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the ones I did go to, there were always other prizes...you bought the raffle tickets when you got there or sometime before the final night when they were given away. At the International at the Hub, that Snarley Bill helped set up, people brought items to donate. That really helped the fundraising! thinking about doing that this year.

The International at Galena had ALOT of door prizes too. You would have to ask EUSA1 or Rick Haywood how they accumulated so many items. Don't know if they were donated or purchased by the committee or brought in by fellow VR members.

As I recall, the International at Potato Creek had some cool door prizes too. I believe Lead Wolfe did that one. I won a jewelry box that Hummingbird donated. I think Carbon One's wife won one too.

If everyone brought SOMETHING to donate...wouldn't that be a cool idea? then there would be more chances to win something. We could still have a LARGE grand prize, but we could also have some smaller ones too.

But the ones I did go to, there were always other prizes...you bought the raffle tickets when you got there or sometime before the final night when they were given away. At the International at the Hub, that Snarley Bill helped set up, people brought items to donate. That really helped the fundraising! thinking about doing that this year.

The International at Galena had ALOT of door prizes too. You would have to ask EUSA1 or Rick Haywood how they accumulated so many items. Don't know if they were donated or purchased by the committee or brought in by fellow VR members.

As I recall, the International at Potato Creek had some cool door prizes too. I believe Lead Wolfe did that one. I won a jewelry box that Hummingbird donated. I think Carbon One's wife won one too.

If everyone brought SOMETHING to donate...wouldn't that be a cool idea? then there would be more chances to win something. We could still have a LARGE grand prize, but we could also have some smaller ones too.

one thing for all you folks to remember, is you don't have to attend to buy tickets for the grand prize. i'm pretty sure all members can buy chances. pattis suggestion about the folks donating something for an after dinner drawing is great . it was alot of fun at the 09 rally. i think squidley did the honors on the drawing. he can do that again next year if he is there. the stuff we had was not neccesarily motorcycle related. we had alot of neat frilly stuff for the gals. we will do this again. so start thinking of something to bring. it don't have to be expensive. i think the big prize should be bike related and something most folks would have a use for. it has to be something really neat to get folks to buy tickets. it's a man thing i guess. we just like neat toys. at least i do. the official location for the last dinner and drawing is going to be the pavillion at lake side park. i have been busting my butt trying to reserve it . it is so new they haven't got the details on it yet. i have been every where this week checking other facilities out, but have found nothing to compare. it is absolutely awesome. if it cost to much over budget i don't care. i will cover the difference. :welcome1::clap2:

the majority of the items that were given away at the Galena Illinois 2013 rally were donated by companies that we asked to donate and a few of the venders and members of our fine .org.

A few of the items were purchased at cost or less than cost from

Gieson Motorsports Yamaha of Rock Falls Illinois along with several items that were hand made by Shirley Haywood and Shari Schepp and my wife Cherie.

it was just a matter of asking folks to donate items of value that they can make, or that they have lost interest in and some of the things had nothing to do with motorcycles, but were of value or interesting to someone and was small enough to be able to pack into or onto your bike or trailer.

the items that were made by the members seem to have been the biggest hit and were more fun than the bigger ticket items from what I could see.

How about a kit, that includes...

Motorcycle lift/jack

Carbtune

Multimeter

Torque wrench

Vacuum brake bleeder

Something along those lines, anyway.

These would be great as general raffle prizes. With a lot of effort we filled 3 banquet tables full of some really nice 'donations' at Cody. Many of them from our vendors here on the board. However there still needs to be a Special Grand Prize. Something that get's the juices flowing, like the trailer, something most folks have on their dream list. Something that will get folks a motivated to buy a ticket. Another thing we did is limit the amount of tickets sold so everyone was aware of his or her chances going in, and the tickets were cheap enough that everyone could afford one.

Cash is always nice...

CASH is still King!http://venturerider.org/forum/images/smilies/mo%20money.gifhttp://venturerider.org/forum/images/smilies/mo%20money.gifhttp://venturerider.org/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup2.gifhttp://venturerider.org/forum/images/smilies/usa.gif

Since reading this the other night I thought about several things. And as was mentioned some either have it or dont care to. But now the Gas Card or a Visa,Mastercard or simular type card might be a good idea. Then they could use it for gas or lodging of their choice, a trip or whatever. http://venturerider.org/forum/images/smilies/rotf.gif

In the past, we have managed to pick up a trailer at a nicely discounted price. We have usually paid between $1300 and $1750 for the trailer. Then we stress over whether or not we will sell enough tickets to cover the cost. So far, we have always covered the cost and even made a few bucks to donate to the OPE fund but not a lot.

Some great suggestions so far. Keep them coming but some of you are thinking too big. http://venturerider.org/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif We are a small group.

Cash has been suggested in the past but what would be a fair split? Remember, the reason we are doing a grand prize is for a fundraiser. What percentage of the collected cash would be a fair split? We typically do a 50/50 drawing during the rally and I think that is good enough for a cash prize and not sure that making it also a grand prize is necessary.

Considering this is an "International" and people come from all over.... a gas card from a U.S. company may not work in Canada/Australia/Iceland. VISA/Mastercard works globally.

My vote is for a prepaid VISA or Mastercard. That way everyone is happy and get what they need/want whether it is clothing, bike parts/service, hotels, gas, food, pay bills....

one thing for all you folks to remember, is you don't have to attend to buy tickets for the grand prize. i'm pretty sure all members can buy chances. http://venturerider.org/forum/images/smilies/welcome1.gifhttp://venturerider.org/forum/images/smilies/clap2.gif

I like the idea of a pre paid Visa or MasterCard as a grand prize.

Would sure make a run to the next IR a lot easier on the wallet.

Either way, if we went that route, I would say no more than $1000 for the grand prize. since we typically spent $1300 or more on a trailer in the past...

Just a few thoughts...

If the Grand Prize is available to or we opened the Grand Prize up to ALL supporting members, whether present at the Rally or not and advertised it as such, IMHO a cash prize would be the most inviting = more playing = higher pay out for both the OPE and the winner. Winning a Grand Prize that has to be shipped adds expense and there is always the risk of winning something one doesnt need or cant use, doesnt seem like it would be as appealing to the broad spectrum.

I think a 50/50 split on the total Grand Prize $$'s accumulated would be fair with NO LIMIT on the amount, just split what ever it is 50/50,, it is what it is. Make THIS the GRAND PRIZE and keep the other 50/50 drawing (s) or other prize drawings for people attending the Rally.. If there is a concern about this having a reverse affect on people actually attending the Rally we could get creative on the numbers and do a 50/50 split if present, if not attending the split is 60/40 in favor of the OPE account..

Its possible that another attraction to increase the amount of folks willing to join in on the Grand Prize drawing would be a list of Vendors who would be willing to sell their goods at a discounted rate to the Grand Prize winner.. That way, if they needed bike related stuff their winnings could be stretched.. Kinda of an added attraction as it were.. (just thinking out loud here :rotf:)

One of the HUGE problems here in our area has been the economy. I know that there are area's in the U.S. that are going strong but I also know (from traveling and interacting with many folks) that our area here in Michigan is not alone in its difficulty to overcome the financial crunch. We also have a number of folks still raising kids, some on fixed incomes, people with college bills, people with medical bills and on and on who I am sure could appreciate the $$'s at this time.. One really really nice thing about a cash Grand Prize would be that it may end up helping someone who really needs it and even encourage someone to take that much needed refreshing ride on their bike.:bighug:

The idea's of PrePaid Credit Cards, Gas Cards, Hotel Cards, Gift Cards and the like are all good idea's BUT,,, cash with no strings attached by the sellers of the cards just seems like the best way to go in todays market... Plus, 10 - 100 dollar bills (give or take a few of em) just feeeels better than a piece of plastic..:cool10::cool10::cool10:

Puc :stirthepot::bighug:

okay group heres whole thing in a nut shell. the main idea of the grand prize, is like don said. it gets front money for events like the international and any thing else that may arise. we have to come up with a prize that almost any one would like to have or could use. i probably don't stay in a motel more than 3 days a year. i'm not going to try to win some gas. throw something really neat out there and i will buy a ticket in a minute. i would buy a ticket in a minute if i had a chance to win a gps, laptop, a big flat screen tv, or a top of the line mountain bike etc. ive got all these, but new ones would be nice. i'm just using what i would do as an example. how about a dennis kirk gift card. keep the ideas coming. bill :)

It's been said before but I would like to repeat it for emphasis.

Any prize needs to be "international". We have members in England, Germany, Iceland, Austrailia and of course Canada.

So a gas card or even hotel gift cards might not work.

Most folks have a gps....and a computer.

Sorry....I'm good at finding fault with an idea....but not so good at coming up with good ones myself!:whistling:

How about a gift certificate towards a CAMPING trailer? (would have to be no expiry and valid even against sale pricing....so really....pretty much CASH

It's been said before but I would like to repeat it for emphasis.

Any prize needs to be "international". We have members in England, Germany, Iceland, Austrailia and of course Canada.

So a gas card or even hotel gift cards might not work.

Most folks have a gps....and a computer.

Sorry....I'm good at finding fault with an idea....but not so good at coming up with good ones myself!:whistling:

How about a gift certificate towards a CAMPING trailer? (would have to be no expiry and valid even against sale pricing....so really....pretty much CASH

you have a valid point. the advantage to a prize over cash is we can negotiate a heck of a price on a material prize. we can give the winner more bang for his buck. i was at our huge motorsport dealer yesterday and did a little negotiating just to see where they stand on a gift card or a ruckus. they said they would be glad to work something out with don. they have a website. they said they would probably donate some t-shirts. just throwing some feelers out there. like don said he got really good prices on trailers in the past. no wheeling and dealing on cash.

Maybe we should run a Poll and see what kinda response it gets.. Kinda give a "feel" for whether or not members who dont normally speak up are interested in the idea of making the Grand Prize an "International" opportunity in a light weight, easy to ship item like cash. Besides, Polls are always fun! It would be interesting to see , by Poll numbers, what item(s) would draw the most interest and maybe increase participants... :backinmyday::stirthepot:

Thank you Bill and others involved in setting this whole thing up! Please dont EVER mistake all the :stirthepot: for ungratefulness! You are ALL appreciated!:bighug:

Puc

Maybe we should run a Poll and see what kinda response it gets.. Kinda give a "feel" for whether or not members who dont normally speak up are interested in the idea of making the Grand Prize an "International" opportunity in a light weight, easy to ship item like cash. Besides, Polls are always fun! It would be interesting to see , by Poll numbers, what item(s) would draw the most interest and maybe increase participants... :backinmyday::stirthepot:

Thank you Bill and others involved in setting this whole thing up! Please dont EVER mistake all the :stirthepot: for ungratefulness! You are ALL appreciated!:bighug:

Puc

a poll would be good. this is everyones meet. :2133:

For something that would last forever and be a keepsake memory, check out the availability of a brand name Commemorative rifle or shotgun. A little different but an item with a lasting value and have a proud, personal appreciation.

Patti and Puc have some good ideas.

I agree we need a single high end item for the GP. The rest can be donated and should be useful bike items, easily shipped without being taxed (VAT) to those countries overseas.

I already have two GPS's, two laptops, 3 computers, ad nauseum. Trying to get rid of stuff like that....but they are great for "Door Prizes), etc.. Things for our 1st & 2nd gens would be always appreciated...like the MP3 box from Venture Audio Link, or a solar charger/maintainer, a Battery Tender.... Inexpensive but good stuff we can all use. Any of our member vendor stuff, like Butler's seat mod, Digital Carb Sync and....you get the idea...(flags & mounts, bells)...

I also like the idea of a poll...generic in nature. Not sure I would ask for specific items in pole, rather catagories like: "cash", "little putput bike", etc..

My .03cents...(inflation, don't cha know)

david

Edited by videoarizona
add stuff...

a poll would be good. this is everyones meet. :2133:

Patti and Puc have some good ideas.

I agree we need a single high end item for the GP. The rest can be donated and should be useful bike items, easily shipped without being taxed (VAT) to those countries overseas.

I already have two GPS's, two laptops, 3 computers, ad nauseum. Trying to get rid of stuff like that....but they are great for "Door Prizes), etc.. Things for our 1st & 2nd gens would be always appreciated...like the MP3 box from Venture Audio Link, or a solar charger/maintainer, a Battery Tender.... Inexpensive but good stuff we can all use. Any of our member vendor stuff, like Butler's seat mod, Digital Carb Sync and....you get the idea...(flags & mounts, bells)...

I also like the idea of a poll...generic in nature. Not sure I would ask for specific items in pole, rather catagories like: "cash", "little putput bike", etc..

My .03cents...(inflation, don't cha know)

david

A "Poll" suggestion concerning the GP at the IR, just off the cuff so to speak... Feel free to clip, edit, add to, subtract from, do use - dont use whatever.. :detective:

Title:

Attention ALL Members: Out Of Pocket (OPE) Fund/International Rally Grand Prize input needed!

Body:

Each year all monies received by selling Grand Prize raffle tickets associated with the International Rally are divided between supporting the VR OPE fund and making a purchase of the actual Grand Prize.. The purchase of the Grand Prize tickets are open to all VR Members (world wide) with the winning member NOT having to be present to win..

In an effort to substantiate whether or not certain categorical items would increase the level of participants in the Grand Prize drawing, please vote on 1 item of your choosing. Please note that this is ONLY a "Poll" to provide information for selecting a Grand Prize by the Rally Committee. The opportunity to purchase the Grand Prize tickets will be provided at a later date along with a definition of what the prize actually will be.

THANK YOU FOR VOTING!!

Item Categories:

Bike Related Electronic Devices (i.e. - GPS, Headsets, Stereo Systems, CB)

Non Bike Electronic Devices (i.e. - Laptops, Tabs, Cell Phones)

Small "Play Bike" (i.e. - Honda Ruckus, Moped)

Sporting (i.e. - Mountain Biking, Fishing Equipment, Kayak)

Motorcycle Trailer

Motorcycle Parts (i.e. - Tires, Bags, Windshield)

Gift Card (i.e. - Fuel, Walmart, Yamaha Parts)

Cash

Any of the above are fine!

I forgot what IR it was, but they gave away a Timeout cargo trailer. The nice thing about that was if you wanted to add money, you could trade it for a more expensive model or camper. If you already have or don't want a trailer, you can always sell it. Seems to me Ragtop bought his trailer this way.

• 4 weeks later...

We had good success with the Aluma trailer raffle - but as Don said, not a lot of extra money for the OPE fund. Being as everyone is starting to think early on this, and I still like the trailer idea, maybe there is a similar trailer - i.e. Lumina? - that may offer better value for the group?

Not to step on toes but the only way you come out on Raffles is through, getting a deal on the item. Gift cards and credit cards may be a challenge. Also if we are going to raise good money we need to start selling outside of the organization. Maybe have a prize for the top seller! Right now it is just the same people donating every year.

That brings up another point if you keep going to your ace in the hole eventually they are not going to be so giving, so you have to find new resources. I have done this several times and when you go in people always want to know what you are going to do with the money. My experience is that if it is not going to a local or well no charity then people hesitate.

I like the rally package idea, so if someone is unable to make it do they get a package for the next years Rally?

We had a dealer donate a 950 tourer for cost, we stated all along that if we did not sell the minimum needed tickets that the prize would be a 50/50. Also the dealer gave an option to buy back bike from winner if we sold enough tickets, or allow winner to upgrade to a more expensive or larger bike giving an allowance.