IGNORED

Tires- No Debate!! Just a poll that's all.

I've had good service with the E3's.

Dunlop seems to have more inventory issues...tried replacing the rear last month and

couldn't find an E3 in stock at several places, so you might plan ahead.

I ended up installing a Michelin Commander II on the rear of my 99.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whatever I can find after the desert has eaten whatever I could find the last time I needed a tire!!:whistling:

I personally will steer clear of Metzeler if I have a choice... See pic..

To be fair though,, we tortured that tire unmercifully in heat,, but that was the first tire I had actually delaminate, didnt go flat on us but it sure gave me the creeps when I saw how bad it had gotten.. Later found out that one of my very close friends and his wife had narrowly escaped extreme personal injury (thankfully) when a Metz did something very simular.. :no-no-no:

Have ridden down my share of flats both front and rear and never ever had another one come "unglued" like this. Even from rolling flat at highway speeds in the desert heat... :confused24:

By the way, we were in California when I replaced the Metz.. Found a Full Bore on Amazon cheap and gave it a shot.. Tire did GREAT and was way cheap, was gone by the time we got home but NO delam!

What ever you run, watch those tire pressures. Check em often - a few pounds up or down because of elevation/climate change can really affect handling, tire wear and safety!!

No debate intended, just all IMHO:backinmyday:

Puc

20140624_191448.jpg

E3 front and rear, stock size in front. They wear like iron and I have no problems riding in rain. At first when I mounted the rear I said "oh-oh" when I saw how flat of a profile the tire was. Truth is, the bike with E3's feels much more planted than the Venoms I ran for 100,000 miles on my '06 RSV and much better than the 404's that were on this 2000 when I bought it.

Replaced rear 2 mo ago, had 17K on it, and still good for couple thousand, but I don't push it .

Replaced front 2 weeks ago, had 23K on it, still good, but planning a trip, and that would be pushing it,

Rain ??? Hmmm, I ride in rain all the time here in Seattle, no problem that I can tell. ??

ANYTHING but Avons! I have used 4 ALL with great handling and poor tire construction, they dry rot! Even the fresh ones. At that point the Factory Rep will not know you. After I proved my case, they got back to me when the change was all over. pffffff.

Michelin Commander II up front the REAR 130 (Smaller size)

The BF Goodrich Radial TA in the proper Darkside size (Dragster Front tire) On the rear!

So, I have a Rear Tire on the front and a Front tire on the Rear! No one gets as good as traction as me and no one can go over 30K miles and never swap a tire! :cool10:

It rides really nice and you can lay down one hell of a skid mark! (be careful not to slam into the Windshield) GOBS of traction and mileage with this combo.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/usmcxterra/Venture%202008/20140820_003412_zpsaofb6djd.jpg

Ummm don't mind that Roadstar over there on it's 2nd Darkside tire. 70K miles of year round riding in Cleveland, Ohio. Whoot whoot!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/usmcxterra/darkside/ab829ceb.jpg

Taken on a day when the Yami Shop Closed due to weather! LOL The Harley Shop in Warren Ohio was open and doing the Winter Warrior Giveaway, I was the only one to show up that day. Needless to say.

Disclaimer! (IronMike is Variable Crazy on from a Level 5 to 10 and does not condone, endorse, suggest, require, imply, or even DARE you to do any of the sheet that guy does! And that's why on the back of his bike it says, "Don't follow me...You won't make it!" :stirthepot: :smile5::smile5:

Metz 888 on rear got 9000 to wear bars- 50 psi manditory

Metz 880 narrow front. 12k on it and still about double wearbar tread.

Just mounted Shinko tourmaster rear for a change.

Have 4k on it and I expected only 5-6k - dealer info- but looks like it will go longer.

Next set will be Mich Com.

• 2 weeks later...

Karfreek you should go up in pressure to about 43-45 and you'll think you added power steering and get better wear. I have 122,000 miles and had one with 86,000 got totaled and I've ran Dunlop,Metzler 880's, and really liked about the last 5 sets of Venoms.....But all brands need 40+ lbs. to feel right to me. My tire guy has me ready to try the new Michelin....says they are bragging that you will get better mileage than any tire....Hard to beat Venoms for miles but I've had a couple tire belt problems. I f the Michelin last that long it will have to be hard and I'm curious about grip?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Decided to go with the E3s, OEM size. Although the tread does not look like it will grip as well in wet conditions, the engineer told me they were made exclusively for heavy touring bikes and all weather conditions. Thanks for your input guys, David

• 4 weeks later...

I have read many post about how good Michelin commander 2tires are but they don’t make a 150/80/16 front tire. Just wondering why no one has used a150/80/16 commander 2 rear tire and reverse it for on the front. I am due for tires this winter and am planning on trying this combination on my 1999 venture. I already have leveling links on, which helped the handling a lot. So from what I’ve read I don’t want to go with the narrower tire on the front.

Edited by WIZ