IGNORED

New Guy on the Blog

Lovesyeshua

We'll I sold my Harley Road Glide. Why? Sat on my buddies 91 Venture I was smitten. Found a 86 Venture with 9600 miles in Idaho drove it home to Tacoma, WOW Santa bike to ride!!!!!!!

Looking for I thing adjustable front springs. The front forks leek ouch.

Thanks,

Dana

Welcome Lovesyeshua!!..

I have experienced those sacked out front springs lots of times, very common and often a result of the bike just sitting with the weight on it (instead of being stored on the centerstand).. It also seems like the leaky fork seal issue goes hand and hand with the sacked out springs, at least in my experience.. I have a hunch that the relaxed condition of the springs puts hydraulic fluid pressure on the seals and that is what causes them to blow..

Like already mentioned, if you order up a set of Progressive Springs and install em with 3/4 of an inch of preload spacers (cut from PVC works fine) your fork spring situation will be good. Easy job - hardest part is breaking the plugs loose at the top of the tubes.

The seals themselves are a little more involved - might try this first if your lazy like me..

I use to do a fair amount of dirtbiking and used 35 MM film slid wrapped around the fork tube and slid down between the seal and the tube to rejuvinate (cleans the dirt out of the seals) the seals.. I have used this method successfully on my 1st Gens too.. Doesnt always work but might be worth a try... I also use 3m commercial grade rubber cleaner (its used a LOT in copy machine roller maintenance) that, when used with the 35mm plastic REALLY works wonders on those seals. If you would like I can take a picture of the stuff I use and post it on here..

Congrats on the move to a Venture (especially the faster, better riding 1st Gen - might as well get ya started in the right direction here on VR:stirthepot:), on joining the site and for posting up here in the Watering Hole!:backinmyday:

Puc

Edited by cowpuc

As far as adjustment goes, the air suspension (CLASS) is the only adjustment for stiffness of the front springs, but with new progressives you probably won't need them any stiffer. Of course how much you preload them with spacers will make a difference!

Welcome aboard!

Hi Dana: Glad to see your 1st post. The guys here are great and will help you get your VR in tip top shape.

Buckley Washington, Where on earth is Buckley, Washington. Sounds like Buck Wheat from some mid western state, or there abouts.

Edited by Golf&Venture