IGNORED

Avon Venom-X MT90B16 won't fit

Argh. Got the new Avon from Southwest Moto Tire (great price, fast delivery, fresh stock... just no way to phone them)... Front Avon Venom-X AM41 MT90B16 74H

Now the shop can't mount it. It's more than 1" narrower. they can't get it spread enough at the bead to have it seat. Was there other, wider, rims available for an 00 RSV? Mine look like everyone else's I have seen.

thanks

Argh. Got the new Avon from Southwest Moto Tire (great price, fast delivery, fresh stock... just no way to phone them)... Front Avon Venom-X AM41 MT90B16 74H

Now the shop can't mount it. It's more than 1" narrower. they can't get it spread enough at the bead to have it seat. Was there other, wider, rims available for an 00 RSV? Mine look like everyone else's I have seen.

thanks

I would say you have the right size tire for your 07..

I deleted all my tire size info and cant verify the exact size right now..

07's do not have a wider rim.... that I am aware of anyway...

The two bead edges of the tire you have may so be very close together from the tire lying on its side or even having other tires stacked on top of it while it was lying on its side, thus smashing it flat per-say..

With the two beads so close together, it wil be very difficult to get the bead to seat on the rim long enough to get any air in it..

Having a "big blast" of air will help push the two beans apart helping the force of the tire against the bead. You can try removing the vale core from the valve stem to give you a little extra volume of air too..

When mounting your tire, I'm sure they used a rather slipper soap to put the tire on the rim and that too will make it even more difficult..

If you still have the tire mounted on th erim, you can try wiping all the soapy -slipery stuff off the two tire beads and from the rim best you can.

Place a piece of rope around the outer periphery of the tire but in the center of the tire tread, and using a long screw driver, piece of wood or something, twist the rope around and around to tightne up around the tire. This should help spread or open the two beads appart from eachother a little and then force air into the tire..

NOTE: As soon as the bead grabs the rim, untwist the rope rapidly.....

do not get your fingers between the rim and tire bead when filling it with air.. (No need to ask how I know this...)

I deleted all my tire size information, but I am almost certain the tire you have IS the right size for your 07 bike.......

Sounds to me that they really don't know how to mount tires? Do they know that the OEM tire is a 150/80 and you are asking them to mount a narrower tire? If so, maybe they don't want the [possible liability. Did they leave it mounted and give it back to you or did they go ahead and demount it? They should have a band that they can put around the outside of the tire to sqeeze it in a bit to the bead to spread. Outside of that, I'd take Redneck's advice.

Rick

You can cure your problem in a few seconds spray starting fluid inside the tire a 2 second shot will be enough let it sit for 30 seconds throw a match on it when it pops put the air chuck on it quickly before it pops back off the bead.

Avon Venoms 150/80-16s are designed for rims 3.00 to 4.00 inches.

MT90B16s are designed for rims 2.50 to 3.50 inches..

I don't have my owner's manual handy, but I'm pretty sure the stock front rim is 3.50 inches wide.

Just checked the online owner's manual.. front rim is 3.50 inches, rear is 4.00 inches.

Took some doing but I mounted my own. As mentioned I used a ratching tie down strap around the center to get it to mount. One time I used and extension cord and a bar and started twisting it like a tourniquet. It work also. Takes a little bouncing and pushing but it will take air sooner or later. This was also needed for the stock size tire once.

thanks

a while back they had the same problem with that tire puting it on Red Ryders bike after a few phone calls i drove up to the shop that was puting his tires on and did it for them its not hard

tell your dealer ya gotta be just a touch smarter than the tool your using and that tire will work great on that rim call me if you like ill tell you how to do it:whistling:

Thanks for all the input.. fast. latest info. Southwest Moto got back to me in about 5 min. via email...WOW... that is service. They said..."tuff tire... use a bead blaster..." cool thing that wraps around the tire... inflate it and it will squeeze the tire onto the bead area. Kinda like a mondo rachett strap. Called the shop, they have one, just don't use it. Doh! who is smartest... the tool on the wall or the tech leaning against the wall. Mmmmmmm. We'll know tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Other Thing beside Smarter Installer is . Maybe tire was on cold and is get little harder. Try to keep tire in warm place and than try to force air. other trick is wet towel or some wet cloth (Just wet not soaking wet)around upper rim edge, Once gap is closed will pop. once set will expand and stay there. Buddy's idea is good too, I know took few try's on Jerry's (BOO )front tire to pop.

Good Luck

I Like Redneks idea with engine starter fluid and matches :rotf::rotf::rotf:

:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

Other Thing beside Smarter Installer is . Maybe tire was on cold and is get little harder. Try to keep tire in warm place and than try to fors air. other trick is wet towel or some wet cloth (Just wet not soaking wet)around upper rim edge, Once gap is closed will pop. once set will expand and stay there. Buddy's idea is good too, I know took few try's on Jerry's bike for tire to pop.

Good Luck

I Like Redneks idea with engine starter and matches :rotf::rotf::rotf:

:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

yes starting fluid and a match will work too

You can cure your problem in a few seconds spray starting fluid inside the tire a 2 second shot will be enough let it sit for 30 seconds throw a match on it when it pops put the air chuck on it quickly before it pops back off the bead.

Saw this done once on a Cat Payloader that had a tire deflate after hitting a tree stump. VERY scary:no-no-no:

I would say you have the right size tire for your 07..

I deleted all my tire size info and cant verify the exact size right now..

07's do not have a wider rim.... that I am aware of anyway...

The two bead edges of the tire you have may so be very close together from the tire lying on its side or even having other tires stacked on top of it while it was lying on its side, thus smashing it flat per-say..

With the two beads so close together, it wil be very difficult to get the bead to seat on the rim long enough to get any air in it..

Having a "big blast" of air will help push the two beans apart helping the force of the tire against the bead. You can try removing the vale core from the valve stem to give you a little extra volume of air too..

When mounting your tire, I'm sure they used a rather slipper soap to put the tire on the rim and that too will make it even more difficult..

If you still have the tire mounted on th erim, you can try wiping all the soapy -slipery stuff off the two tire beads and from the rim best you can.

Place a piece of rope around the outer periphery of the tire but in the center of the tire tread, and using a long screw driver, piece of wood or something, twist the rope around and around to tightne up around the tire. This should help spread or open the two beads appart from eachother a little and then force air into the tire..

NOTE: As soon as the bead grabs the rim, untwist the rope rapidly.....

do not get your fingers between the rim and tire bead when filling it with air.. (No need to ask how I know this...)

I deleted all my tire size information, but I am almost certain the tire you have IS the right size for your 07 bike.......

That is exactly right. The mechanic had to do it with my standard tire size due to the flattening from being on it's side and stacked upon. I have always had to do that trick with the Dunlop elite 2's that I used to use exclusively. I use the Avon Venoms now. Your tire people are either inexperienced or don't want to mount a narrower tire than standard. Good luck!

Thanks for all the input.. fast. latest info. Southwest Moto got back to me in about 5 min. via email...WOW... that is service. They said..."tuff tire... use a bead blaster..." cool thing that wraps around the tire... inflate it and it will squeeze the tire onto the bead area. Kinda like a mondo rachett strap. Called the shop, they have one, just don't use it. Doh! who is smartest... the tool on the wall or the tech leaning against the wall. Mmmmmmm. We'll know tomorrow. Stay tuned.

You know, I was gonna say that in my previous post but I assumed the shop was using one. Now I see they had one but didnt use it..Hmmmmm

Maybe the next set should go on by a different installer......

Happy ending.... They did the wrachett strap thing and wonder of wonders... it seated. So tire is mounted and on we go. They are a pretty good shop, just not use to thinking outside the box.

Soon as it stops snowing... I can give it test. Love having Avons again.

Thanks again for all the input.