IGNORED

Classic Car Insurance

slowrollwv

I know some of you have classic cars. My question is. What insurance do you have, and will it cover the amount you have invested or it's value?

I am in the process of buying an 86 Monty Carlo SS T Top and it has less than 20,000 miles on it.

My '88 Venture is old enough to be insured as a classic BUT, the classic bike insurance with American Family is more than what full coverage regular MC insurance would be.:confused24:

Part of it may depend on what state you are in. In WI a vehicle with collector plates can still be a daily driver. In other states there are restrictions on how much a collector can be driven.

My GS thru Hagerty at agreed value. No drivers under 25, must be garage kept, no restrictions on when you can drive it. I know others that have made a claim with them and it was a good experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I use American Collectors Insurance. My 65 Chevy pickup is 115 a year and covered for 14000 with 0 deductible. This is full coverage: liability, medical, unisured, underinsured,comp, collision, towing and spare parts up to 500.

Most companies consider a classic car to be 25 years or older but some of the classic insurers will insure exotic cars regardless of the age. Last year one of my insureds bought a new Ferrari. I didn't think it would be a problem to insure it but I got turned down by every major auto insurance company. Hagerty was glad to insure it. When comparing companies for classic car insurance make sure you check the mileage restriction, if any, and are you required to keep the car in an enclosed locked building when not in use, and make sure you are getting guaranteed value and not stated value coverage.

Appraised value is what the insurance company deems your car worth and then applies your deductible. Agreed value is an amount that you and the insurance company deem your car worth and agree that it is the amount paid in the event of a total loss. There is no deductible and you know what the amount is from the start. Big difference.

And read the policy - I can't use mine for every day like going to work and such in order to get antique insurance - but I insure a 67 Ford F100 and 62 Pontiac Tempest Lemans for $175 a year :)

Stated value and guaranteed value can be different. Usually they aren't different but can be. Guraranteed value is where you tell the company the value and they verify it's a reasonable, accurate number. Then they guarantee that value in the event of a total loss. Stated value is basically the same but some companies will have their policy written where they can take depreciation. Just make sure if your company offers stated value that there won't be any depreciation at the time of a loss.

I know some of you have classic cars. My question is. What insurance do you have, and will it cover the amount you have invested or it's value?

I am in the process of buying an 86 Monty Carlo SS T Top and it has less than 20,000 miles on it.

Check out Grundy Worldwide http://www.grundy.com/ They are reasonably priced. I have 4 vehicles insured for $300K liability & $6K agreed value each & I pay $246/year. What I like about them is there is no annual driving mileage limitations.

• 2 weeks later...

Been with State Farm for all my insurance, including the old cars, for over 40 years. Always felt the rates were good and any claim submitted has been taken care of without complaint.

They have sold their Canadian arm to some company in Quebec and the transfer will take place later this year. I have a bad feeling about this. I may have to go shopping for a different company.

A friend of mine has a 92 Chevy pick up he bought new and babied. I mean babied that puppy. His insurance would only cover it for $1500.00 value. He talked to my State Farm agent and was able to get a special policy cheaper than he was paying and covered it for $9,000.00.

Sad note: Never had an accident in it. BUT, last night on his way home a guy ran a red light and hit him head on. The truck is so bent and totaled. He won't give up and has talked to two mechanics today asking for estimates to repair.. I know...we have all told him... the frame is a twisted pretzel...

truck1.JPG

truck2.JPG