IGNORED

Unplanned Venture owner

So, I was at an auction Sunday. Didn't know the man who'd died but he had lots of tools. LOTS of tools. Obviously knew his way around a shop. And a 1988 Venture. I walked by the bike, barely gave it a look. It was dusty, but decent-looking. Nothing obviously missing.

When the time came to sell it the auctioneer said the man's daughter, who had not been close at all to her dad, just wanted his stuff gone - don't spend any money making things sale-able. He said they'd gotten it started but had to jump it, so he figured the battery was bad. Didn't know what else.

He had to beg for a starting bid. I gave him a $200 bid, figuring there's no way it's not worth that.

I ended up giving $450. Turns out a guy I know was the other bidder and was thinking just like me - worst case is part it out and make some money. Dang. Wish he would have quit a hundred bucks sooner.

Now I have another $100 in a battery which I'm about to go out and install. Fingers crossed.

I noticed the clutch has no resistance. I pulled the cap off the master cylinder and the fluid was low. Added some but haven't done any bleeding yet.

I just read a post which mentions an interlock on the side stand; I guess I'll have to do a more detailed reading of the owner's manual, which was still with the bike.

What are some other surprises I should prepare for?

90K miles. A lot. But there should be some left in it. I think it's been sitting for 4 or 5 years. Tires are in good shape. Hand brake works at least enough to let me unload it from my little trailer. (Holy cow! This is a big bike.)

eds

Edited by Ed S, SE Nebr
Add images

I would suggest cleaning out both clutch and brake cylinders with an eye dropper, or the likes, so you can refill it completely with clean fluid and then bleed them. The rear master cylinder is harder to do.

I would verify the manufacture date on the tires. They may look good but tires deteriorate whether ridden on or not. With only 2 tires on the road, you will want to make sure they are the best. Make sure the tire pressure is up.

Change the oil, nothing better for the bike then fresh oil and filter. Check the air filter maybe even change the fuel filter. Drain the fuel tank and refill with new fuel and a heavy dose of Seafoam, takke it for a short ride and to get the Seafoam throughout the carb and let sit for a day or two....then take for a nice long ride. When you get back, change the plugs out and sync the carbs.

Enjoy your bike!! What a great buy.

Dave

Congrats on the new bike.

Yes it is a big heavy bike. But it is also a rocket once you get it running.

These 2 threads will tell you all of the things to look at.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65738

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1066

We have rules on this site, If there aint pics id didn't happen.

We all like to look at pics.

:worthless:

First of all, put it on the center stand. Now, once you have that done, you are well on your way.

Then, step back and tell your self. "Man, am I one lucky guy!!!!"

Next, think of it as eating an elephant....One bite at a time.

Once you start getting into specific systems, take some time to look at some of the data and manuals that are available on here.

Do not be timid. When you have a concern or question, do not hesitate to ask.

Yes, these are big bikes.....but, once you have it tweaked in you will be surprised how well it can handle....and you may be real surprised at how much power that it has and it will love the high RPM"s. If I had a buck for each time mine has been past the redline, I would be doing real good.

Now, the most important part. You now have the opportunity to get to know some of the greatest people you will ever meet or not meet. You will be amazed at how many folks will do their very best to help you with every little problem. You will find that with the expertize here that there is NO problem that someone does not know something about. Yep, there are some crazy folks here, but they got real good hearts.

Oh, one more thing, welcome and we hope you join. It will be the best $12 you will ever spend on your bike.

RandyA

Thanks for the quick leads and advice. And encouragement.

Well, it started right up with the new battery. A few rough spots as I ran up the RPMs.

Ran it for a minute or so until some curls of smoke started coming up around the motor.

Figure that's where the brake fluid, and who knows what else, went. I guess I'll start pulling some plastic off and see what's what.

Working on pics. Those on my phone are too big to upload here and I need to be in bed right now.

eds

Since it started (hopefully with new gas)... definitely give it a can of Seafoam. Will work wonders on the fuel system. Before you do your next oil change, put some Seafoam in the oil...run it for a few miles before you change it.

Post some pics...sounds like you got a great deal !

drain and flush all the fluids...gas, brake fluid...all oils...etc.

good that you ahve a new battery

when you get it running...check the battery charge voltage....there might be a reason why it was parked.

if you are in a flood zone, due to sandy, check fuses and relays for corrossion.

Ed,

Welcome to the site. Looks like you got a heck of a deal. I bought my VR from a guy in Lincoln, not far from you.

You will fall in love with that bike when you get it going right. Head east to the Loess hills scenic byway when you do, great ride.

Ed,

Welcome to the site. Looks like you got a heck of a deal. I bought my VR from a guy in Lincoln, not far from you.

You will fall in love with that bike when you get it going right. Head east to the Loess hills scenic byway when you do, great ride.

Looking forward to the Loess hills, Rosie.

(I learned how to pronounce that word from my soils prof in Lincoln. He was Swedish; said it something like Lursh, but more European-like.)

Darn fine color that '88...........same as mine and it gets lots of compliments. If you decide to part it out, send me message as I could use some panels.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Yeah. Hoping it doesn't come to that, Pete. But, thanks.

We'll see how this clutch thing comes out.

So, do I ask some questions about my clutch actuator repair here, or would a new thread be better?

I pulled the cover off the the left side - the middle gear case cover.

The shop manual says "be sure oil does not leak out of the case" but doesn't say any more.

Maybe that means, "be ready, oil could come out and make a mess."

Or, maybe it means, "if oil comes out you've got a big problem."

I had maybe 4-5 ounces of oil come out. It did make a mess. Do I have a problem, too?

In the meantime, I'm struggling to get the slave cylinder worked out. It's really dirty in there.

Lots of oil comming out likely means the PO put to much in the crankcase. No big deal. Some small amount escaping is normal if cover removed with bike on centerstand.

Perhaps a new thread about the clutch slave cylinder would be best as more readers might see it and respond. The site will also search for related threads as suggestions before you post your questions. So, begin by clicking on 'post new thread' and enter a question, then watch for the suggestions, read the relative posts, then go back and post your question if not satisfied.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

When you take the center cover off, pay attention to the bottom screw, it should have a copper washer on it. That particular screw's threads go all the way through into the inside of the engine and oil WILL pour out if the bike is not on the center stand, or if the oil is too full. Make that screw the last to come out, and immediately screw it back in at least half the way to prevent an excessive amount of oil from escaping...

We have rules on this site, If there aint pics id didn't happen.

We all like to look at pics.

:worthless:

That is because most of us can't read -:rotfl:also sliders in carbs may stick if it has sat around. Removing the air filter and Soaking them a bit with sea foam or sea foam spray should free them up nicely. Sometimes after they have soaked you may need to gently reach down with a screwdriver and carefully push them back to aid in freeing them up.