IGNORED

A few questions

Complete and total newb here. Recently went on the search for my first bike, and after a couple months of digging around, I find out somebody that I deliver to on the job has a bike for sale. So I take the trip to look at it, meet up with a bike savvy coworker, and after a serious evaluation and my coworker taking it for a ride, I walk away with that "this is the one" feeling. ...and here she is! http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/sickmusician/Bike/IMG_20140621_120646.jpg

However, she has some issues. Cracked plastics, not a huge deal to me and that will be handled in due time. Air system was converted over to manual adjustment, also not a huge deal to me. Radio died and was subsequently removed. I intend to wire up a new system at some point in the future.

My primary worries, though, are things that make it not so safe to ride.

Low beam is out, and I haven't the foggiest notion how to even get to it or what to look for if it's not the bulb. The lovely indicator light on the dash that's supposedly supposed to light if one of the filaments burns out has not done so. I'm flying blind on this. Well, I'm actually flying blind on all of it, really.

The throttle doesn't spring closed on its own. I'm thinking it could just need lubed, or a cable replacement, something.

The brakes... Ah yes the brakes... PO told me that the rear pedal "fades", and that the rear MC needs rebuilt, kit available for such and such at the local dealer. Having played with it just the tiniest, I'm inclined to say he was correct, but I have no idea how to get inside this thing to check anything else. Logically a leaking line would puke brake fluid all over the place, but I can't see any. Pedal is very mushy, and I could swear I heard the thing sucking air when manipulating the pedal.

Oh, and the battery light came on yesterday...

Forgive me if I'm not perfectly coherent, I'm in zombie mode at the moment and about to hit the hay. If y'all can point me in the right direction, I've got the mechanical and electrical aptitude to fix most of what comes my way, just don't have any experience with bikes.

Oh, and any info on a service manual would be lovely!

tech section has the manule or link to print it in pdf welcome to the family and you will love the ride just take your time and fix her right others will chime in on any questions you have and where to go for parts and how to on repairs you will find its the best 12 dollar investment you have ever made :080402gudl_prv::322:

OK first bike ever?? Not criticizing but rather expressing a concern. The Venture is waaay too big for a first bike and heavy too! I just hope you don't hurt yourself big time learning how to ride it!

The headlight can be accessed by taking the scoop off of the area below the light, and the bezel around the light. Reach up there and you should be able to reach it. If not both fairings will have to come off, but then you have an excuse to fix the plastic up...

Bulb is a standard 9004 but many of us put in a Silverstar for brighter light. Also, clean the black rubber bezel and with paint for rubber paint it white. Makes a huge difference in brightness!!!

As far as the indicator goes, either the bulb is bad, or your reserve lighting unit has bit the big one. The RLU is on the front fairing sub frame behind the relays.

You are probably right about the throttle cables. You will also find issues with the carbs and they are tricky to rebuild.

Brakes are weak on the 1st gen MK1 (83 - 85) nd many of us have upgraded to the MK2 brakes. You do know that the rear is linked to the left front? I would flush all of the brake fluid from the system, front, rear and also the clutch.

The battery light is most likely a crudded up probe. The light is strictly for monitoring the electrolyte level (acid) in the battery. Many of us switch to an AGM battery and eliminate the probe with a resistor mod. As you will eventually discover there is an issue with hot starts which are eliminated by an AGM battery, bigger gauge battery cables, and a 4 brush starter motor out of a 2nd gen RSV.

Edited by bongobobny

First of all, welcome aboard and don't be shy.

A comment to add to the great job that Bob did is many times the headlight may be out or dim due to a cold solder joint in the CMU, which is the readout thing in the middle of the dash. This is very common on these old bikes and not hard to fix and there are good instructions to fix it available.

I also agree with Bob that these are probably not a good FIRST bike. They are big and top heavy and it don't take a lot to tip them over. And, when you do tip it over, don't hurt yourself trying to stop it. Picking it back up is not easy either.

Probably one of the biggest concern on the 83/mid 85 bikes is the 2nd gear issue. A too soft thrust washer in the transmission will wear to the point it will affect 2nd gear engagement and will start to jump out. This usually starts to happen in the 50,000 mile range. Not an absolute positive, but very likely.

The great thing about this group is there are a lot of folks here that really do enjoy helping fellow Venture riders.

RandyA

Welcome to Venturerider.org--and yes, joining will be the best $12 you ever spent. There is a lot of experience here. There are a lot of us that have been riding and repairing Ventures for a long time. In fact, I bought one of the first Ventures in March of 1983, and it's still up and running, and being enjoyed by my brother. It has 140,000 miles on it, and could go on a long trip anytime.

Be very careful---the bike is pretty heavy and fast for a brand new rider. Take a riding course, and take you time.

The brake pedal (which is for the rear and left front brake) on my '83 used to be very soft. In fact, it was so soft that I'd run out of rear brake pedal travel before I saw good braking. What I did to fix it was first to replace the brake hoses with stainless steel brake lines. Old rubber hoses expand when pressure is applied, causing a soft brake pedal. While you're doing this, replace the brake fluid. First Gen Ventures (83-93) have a brake line that runs up along the frame, and near the steering head, heads downward to the left front brake and anti-dive valve (more on this later). Air tends to collect at the high point of this line (near the steering head) and is a pain to get out. Mk II bikes (86-93) have a bleeder there that can be accessed easily, but MK I (83-85) bikes don't. The only way that I ever found to bleed the air is to remove the tank and right fairing plastic and then loosen a brake line there to get it to bleed. Replacing the brake fluid and bleeding the system is the first thing you need to do and this may make your brake pedal tolerable. I said tolerable because it will still be a bit softer than you'd like. To make it like a rock you'll need to install the braded steel lines plus.......The anti-dive valves on the Mk I bikes are operated by brake line pressure. Look at the valves near the bottom of the forks and you will see where the anti-dive valves are "T'd" off of the brake lines to the front brakes. The fork springs in MK I bikes are pretty soft, so a lot of us replaced them with Progressive springs and now run no fork air pressure. Progressive springs are much stiffer than stock springs and really don't need anti-dive to keep from bottoming out on hard braking. That means you can eliminate the lines from the front calipers to the anti-dive valves. I did all of this about 20 years ago, when I had everything apart to fix 2nd gear.

Last year, I had to rebuild the rear master cylinder, but it was leaking brake fluid and still pumping fine. Some have found that the master cylinder bore was so worn that it couldn't be rebuilt. Mine rebuilt OK and is fine now. The O ring between the reservoir and the master cylinder isn't available from Yamaha, but I went to Grainger and purchased a bag of properly sized O rings. If you need one, let me know and I can send one to you.

83's have another problem that wasn't mentioned yet. Some of us have had the frame break near where the rear shock and center stand are attached. Mine broke at about 90K and I replaced the frame with one from an 84. Yamaha beefed up the frames on the 84's and later bikes. Changing the frame is a BIG job---I had parts everywhere because the last part you pull of the old frame is the first you put on the new one. Some have welded the frame to repair it, but mine was metal fatigued and not safely repairable.

Frank

Edited by frankd
Added info

Well, tomorrow is my day off, so I suppose tonight I'll pull the headlamp and see if she's burned out. If not, I'll be back here looking for fixes. I LOVE the Silverstar bulbs. Try to sell 'em whenever I can. I work at an auto parts store. Used to be I was just a commercial delivery driver, but I wound up working out front some. I love my job! At least if the bulb is burned out I don't have to throw full price at it.

Yes, I realize this isn't exactly the greatest first bike in the world. However, I'm learning the very basics from somebody who's been on two wheels longer than I've been alive, and I have every intention of going and taking an MSF course. The MSF course lets me dodge the on cycle license test as well.

I guess I have a lot of work to do on the brakes. Yes, I did know about the linked braking. I did plenty of lurking here over the past few days.:whistling: Guess I'll start with draining the system and replacing the fluid. I do believe I'm going to pick up a vac bleeder at work today...

The first thing on the headlight is to make sure the starter switch is coming all the way out. It is very common for the starter button to get a little corroded and not come all the way out. You can pull it out with your fingers. If that is the problem, a little electrical cleaner and a short shot of WD-40 type will loosen it up.

Don't get any of it on your paint.

Welcome. And it is a heavy bike. If you know somebody with a lighter small bike you might borrow it for a while to get a few miles under your belt.

The first thing on the headlight is to make sure the starter switch is coming all the way out.
Fully springy, seems to be all the way out, don't know of any other way to check aside from pulling the switch off the bars and pulling it apart. Unless I find a fuse for my multimeter and use my multimeter and those handy little wiring diagrams.

It's not the bulb though. Filaments look completely intact even under high magnification. Unless It's invisibly defective. So, next the light switch, then the monitoring device, then the reserve unit?

If you do not have riding experience, I highly recommend you buy a small cheap bike and ride it for a couple thousand miles while you are sorting out the problems with the Venture before you try to ride the 800lb beast. After you get used to riding, then it will be time to try the Venture.

I agree. The Venture is a heavy bike. easy to control at speed except you really need to pay attention to braking. But it's biggest issue, for me, is at a stop. If I do something dumb, like not pay attention to where my foot is, the Venture will go down...and it will not be easy to get back up! Ask me how I know! :whistling:

Get a small bike, take the safety course, learn emergency maneuvers, then practice. Once you can really handle the smaller bike...move up to the Venture.

Lesson to the guys when they say get a smaller bike to start on. From years back ( old school) you had to graduate to a bigger bike, with that comes experience. Remember anyone can ride straight, we have ride like a pro CDs floating around her somewhere. Practice, Practise, Practise, u turns, figure 8's riding in rain. No your limitations. Note to self. Yes the people in cars are out to get you.

My wife did her course last year. Course used 250's so I bought a vstar 250 for wife to practice on. She spent last summer riding that. This summer I'm transitioning her to a vstar 650 (her choice of size which I agree with bc she's rather petite)

My son just did his course. He used the 250 for practice until his road test. Now he and wife are sharing the 650 until I'm confident he's ready to move up to the 950 I've bought. (his choice of size)

I may eventually try to transition my son to the Tour Deluxe once he's confident on the 950 bc he's big enough to handle it once he gets his riding legs. If that works, I'll try to transition my wife to the 950. It's actually lower seated than the 650, and the weight difference is nearly insignificant.

If that works the 3 of us will be on tourers and my Venture is rigged to pull the cargo trailer I built. My eldest has a 650, and my twins can ride passenger, so 6 person family touring is possible.

The above long winded explanation is meant to illustrate the care I'm taking to see the riders in my family work up the size range, and get fully confident at each level.

This contrasts greatly with the way I did things. I did my course 4 years ago with my eldest son, got my license, and immediately bought a 950. Too much horse for a newbie. I dumped it once (no damage or injury) and blamed it on wet roads. I did get over 10000 km that season on it.

Then I bought the Tour Deluxe (way too big for my skill level) and I put almost 32000 on it in a season and a half, but it occasionally 'took a nap' because I wasn't good at slow manoeuvring with something that big.

Then I bought the Venture in Sept 2012. And I promptly dumped it at 100kmh on the highway. 8 weeks in hospital, many $ in repairs. but BIG V and I are back on the road.

It's a long story to illustrate why I believe you should grow into something this big.

Take care, and practice practice practice the slow speed stuff.

well I bought mine about 3 years ago. hadnt rode in 28 years. what a difference fluid clutch, brakes, etc. have dumped it one time in parking lot. make sure kick stand switch works. its like picking up a elephant. go slow you don't have to go on the highway. ride around on side streets slow. these bikes are top heavy. ive had to touch almost every thing. brakes are week so plan ahead till you get used to them. my best improvement to date is main power and ground cables bigger is better. take the time and clean all connectors in wiring big difference. my biggest lesson so far don't over fill rear brake reservoir warms up then you go no where. I got stuck on the busiest street in town middle of street bike would not move no tools.

Looks like I'll be looking at the switch over the weekend.

Unfortunately I'm stuck learning on the Venture. I haven't the money to acquire another bike, and the only bike I might be able to borrow would certainly be the death of me.

Fortunately, the gentleman I've asked to get me started is a lifelong rider. He's going to ride it to a parking lot, and I'm going to spend some serious time on it under close supervision.

It's not ideal, heavy, powerful, and could kill me. Power has never been an issue with me. It's not a toy. Until I can maneuver at low speed without issue, I probably won't be leaving first gear.

I'm always up for a challenge, and I don't give up on anything. If it takes me the rest of the riding season to get to the point of leaving the parking lot, so be it. I'm willing.

For now I have to fix the dang thing. I'll have to post a pic. I think I found the battery light issue. Looks like somebody may have bubba'd the wiring a bit.

Have to say I love the look of that bike to start....mine is similar in color. First bike I have had in many years and I have managed to scare myself on it a few times already! Very fast bike for its size and weight! Take mine out to a parking lot and practice tight turns, figure eights., etc. cause she really is heavy after a couple hours of riding! Almost dumped her a couple times cause of gravel or dirt on the road putting my foot down as well. Just be careful bro, be aware, and be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I'm stuck learning on the Venture. I haven't the money to acquire another bike, and the only bike I might be able to borrow would certainly be the death of me.

Fortunately, the gentleman I've asked to get me started is a lifelong rider. He's going to ride it to a parking lot, and I'm going to spend some serious time on it under close supervision.

It's not ideal, heavy, powerful, and could kill me. Power has never been an issue with me. It's not a toy. Until I can maneuver at low speed without issue, I probably won't be leaving first gear.

I'm always up for a challenge, and I don't give up on anything. If it takes me the rest of the riding season to get to the point of leaving the parking lot, so be it. I'm willing.

For now I have to fix the dang thing. I'll have to post a pic. I think I found the battery light issue. Looks like somebody may have bubba'd the wiring a bit.

I can't imagine learning to ride on a Venture. How much will it cost you if you hurt yourself or destroy the bike?

Since you insist learning on a VR, I suggest the idle speed be set up around 1300 RPM as this will minimize engine stalling in short radius turns at low speed that will surely dump you if the engine quits.:cool10:

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

I can't imagine learning to ride on a Venture. How much will it cost you if you hurt yourself or destroy the bike?

If the bike isn't in a million pieces, I'll fix it if it kills me, so the cost of supplies. If I hurt myself I'm screwed, but I can live with that.

Okay, got a multimeter. What's my next step? Gotta get that light working. Got a service manual! Like, on paper. It's a bit vague on where some of the wiring is located.

Adjusted the bars yesterday. Feels much better. Warmed her up and ran her around the driveway. Incredible!

Had to put a foot down on a couple of the tighter turns but it felt wonderful! Gotta adjust the pegs. I thought this thing would be easier to get rolling in a straight line. Clutch control is substantially more difficult than on my truck. What's the normal launch RPM on one of these?

I gave between one and two grand a shot, but it wasn't very clean even with a creeping clutch release.

It's a lot easier to test first on the circuit. Since it sounds like your high beam is fine, it

indicates the dimmer switch is getting good power supply (common to both beams).

If you have windshield off, and the hood over top of dash off....go to the large plug

behind CMS display. The headlight circuit has an input to CMS and output to the headlight for high and low beam. Connector hooked up, backprobe the following wires versus a good ground.

High beam selected should be battery voltage on Yellow (input) and Yellow/Green (output) wires.

Low beam selected should be battery voltage on Green (input) and Green/Red (output)

If good voltage in, but low out, check CMS unit for solder joint issues.

If low in, check dimmer switch and wiring to CMS.

If good voltage in and out, inspect wiring from CMS and socket.