IGNORED

What's your go/no go criteria?

shmily

I have opened my garage door to find a downpour to start off a road trip. I would call that 100% chance of rain. For these rides... I put on the rain gear.

But, if it is just a day ride... I don't really pay attention to the % chance by the weather guessers. I use the radar display on my smart phone. And, if I decide it is a go based on the radar... I check it every stop to decide whether to alter route or not.

If it a scheduled road trip to a several day event... I will ride rain or shine most of the time.

Of course lets not forget 'Lumpy' who was taken from us a not long ago when lightning struck in front of him as he left a group gathering. Riding in heavy rain is one thing. But when it comes to lightning, hail, and serious high winds... sometimes we may need to turn in the man card and find shelter and wait it out. I used to ride in this sort of stuff until we lost Lumpy. No more!

We also had another very experienced member, Miles, hit by lightening on the bike a couple of years ago. He was injured pretty bad but did survive it some how.

A car/truck is about the safest place to be during lightening, a bike is about the worst place to be.

it is only water.... ride.... the bike will not fade and you will not shrink. wear proper riding gear for the weather.

a lady at the hotel on Sunday morning, cool with overcast skies said to me... aren't ya'll cold on them machines? I asked her if she wore a sweater when it was cold or just a tee shirt.... she just said....oh and walked away.

did I mention I live in the middle of a rain forest area?

:rain2:

I'd ride that means a 70-80 percent of no rain:thumbsup2:

Plus the weather men are wrong 50 percent if the time

I cannot really say as I have a criteria. I never follow weather reports because they cannot be trusted. I have had occasions were I did something else instead of going for a ride, because of predicted rain and lost out on a beautiful day and I have left on predicted sunny days and got caught in the rain. So now i go by own gut feel but mostly I just ride when I want to ride. Rain gear is always with me just in case. The only time I won't go on an all day ride, is if it is already raining and my gut tells me its going to stay that way all day. going to work I pretty much ride no matter what. But I do not have far to go so the odds of getting really soaked are pretty slim. Edited by saddlebum

For me, it just depends on the ride. If it is raining hard and looks to get worse then I won't ride if it's just a ride for the sake of riding. If I have a trip planned though then I will leave regardless of the weather. More than once I've left in the middle of a torrential downpour. It is different when you have a destination and events planned. Especially if you are meeting up with other riders and etc.

If I have a trip planned though then I will leave regardless of the weather. More than once I've left in the middle of a torrential downpour. It is different when you have a destination and events planned. Especially if you are meeting up with other riders and etc.

This is so true Freebird.

I remember at Vogel one year we all met at a restaurant for breakfast. A bunch of VR members showed up. It began pouring. Lewis made an announcement to cancel that days ride for safety reasons and because the majority voted not to go riding in the rain.

Redneck wanted to ride the dragon since he rode all the way from TX., so I told him lets go, I'll take you.. Off we went and a few others joined us but I forgot who they were. We got about 3 miles out of town and the rain stopped. We rode all day and didn't see any rain until we got back about 3 miles from Vogel. Everyone was at Vogel under the picnic canopy as we came riding up. They thought we were nuts.That was a beautiful ride that day. :thumbsup2:

I have one of these dilemmas this coming weekend. I have been going to southern Indiana the last weekend in June for about the last 10 years. Been rained on a couple of times but nothing serious. Looks like there is about a 50 percent chance of rain on my end and on the other end also so I'm trying to decide if I will drive or ride.

I bet the riding beats out the driving.

BOO

I cannot really say as I have a criteria. I never follow weather reports because they cannot be trusted. I have not rode because of predicted rain and lost out on a beautiful day and I have left on predicted sunny days and got caught in the rain. So I now go by own gut feel but mostly I just ride when I want to ride. Rain gear is always with me just in case. The only time I won't go on an all day ride, is if it is already raining and my gut tells me its going to stay that way all day. going to work I pretty much ride no matter what. But I do not have far to go so the odds of getting really soaked are pretty slim.

Yep,, me too saddlebum, took the words right out of my mouth.. been in many afternoon t, storms out west where the rain felt down right nice after riding the desrt all day.. i stopped carrying rain gear for me years ago when I discovered how dry you can stay just by keeping your speed up.. do carry some for tippy though,, itsva BOSS outfit with BOSS written on the jacket in huge letters,, still really not sure that she wears it to stay dry,, hmmmm,, maybe.

now cold weather riding gear,, being from michigan and having FLYINFOOL right across the lake from us.. I ALWAYS carried my snowmobile suit strapped in my bikes, all the way back into the 60, s. Still do! I cant stand getting cold.. if its wet AND cold,, I am a coward and have a very strong tendency to pack it in till I FEEL like riding,, dont matter what some non riding weather man says! 35 or 40 degrees in pouring rain aint no fun to me.. I just RIDE MY RIDE......

puc

If it's a spur of the moment ride, I'll go with a chance of rain, but will put it off if it's actively raining. If it's a planned ride with friends, with a fixed destination where I'll be staying overnight, rain won't stop me.

On my first gen I generally don't get wet until I stop anyway.

Don't know about my second gen. Haven't ridden it in the rain yet.:cool10: