IGNORED

Why do I ride a motorcyle?

baylensman

I am 56 years old and hold a semi responsible position at at large retailer, ( I can't be as serious as some but hey). I have two adult children, a demented Ex-wife and a very cute and cuddly new Girl friend. People ask my all the time why do I ride a motorcycle? Aren't you kinda old to still be playing around on that thing? And more in the same vein.

I give all the standard answers. I like the fact that I get almost 40MPG in town. Its easier to park. I like the fact that with a flick of my wrist I can out run 99% of the problems on the road. I enjoy the fact that I can't answer my phone on the bike so I get a few minutes each day that I am free.

I realized those are benefits or extras or perks but not the real reason.

There is an unidentifiable feeling that overtakes me since my first bike way back in 1969, as I swing my leg over the bike and rest my hands on the oh so comfy grips. Tapping the starter and twisting the throttle as I begin to move, brings with it a combination of feelings, power peace and philosophical look at the world that I've never found any where else and I thank the stars above each and every time I ride .

There is another thing that goes with riding....the family you belong to as a biker. You know they have your back.
I'm often asked the same thing especially when people are aware of the near fatal accident I had in 1971. I've spent a lot of time contemplating my answer and I offer the following of why I ride.

1. All the reasons stated above.

2. I have realized that motorcycling has defined my life even during the 36 years that I didn't ride.

3. Just about everything about me and who I am is a direct or indirect result of motorcycling.

4. It means a lot to me to live my life freely and without fear.

I dont think I have ever really had to put it down. I rode mini bikes and stuff when I was young, and of course we all liked that huh. But later a couple of my brothers had bikes and took me for rides. Not the scare the hell out of you kind, but calm introductions to the sport. My mom was sooo scared my closest brother was going to get killed on that "death trap" 750 Honda she just worried all the time he rode it. Turns out she should have worried about the illegally parked steel truck on the corner where he was a school safety patrol and his LTD.

I loved the show Then Came Bronson I guess and the opening statement where the guy says where you going. Bronson says something to the effect of "down the road" and the motorist wishes it could be him. I just enjoy being able to do something that probably 80% of folks dont enjoy.

I agree, every time you swing your leg over the seat you are accepting a great responsibility. But, riding is the closest thing to flying that man will ever achieve. The feel of you entire body being involved in each maneuver, the solitude of the wind in your ears

And, as said before ,you can not compare the family you have everywhere.

I agree, every time you swing your leg over the seat you are accepting a great responsibility. But, riding is the closest thing to flying that man will ever achieve. The feel of you entire body being involved in each maneuver, the solitude of the wind in your ears

And, as said before ,you can not compare the family you have everywhere.

I agree with you on every point except this has got to be the closet that man will come to flying.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9t5qOSzCU]The best wing suit /skydive from you tube PART1 - YouTube[/ame]

There is an unidentifiable feeling that overtakes me since my first bike way back in 1969, as I swing my leg over the bike and rest my hands on the oh so comfy grips. I've never found any where else and I thank the stars above each and every time I ride .

Super good post here Bay,, sure brought back lots of emotions, memories and describes my life to a tee..

Back in 1960, a little Puc in Kindergarten kept getting himself in huge trouble cause he didnt fit the societal mode of "normal".. Instead of playing with little boys collecting ball cards - playing little league baseball and such,, he was busy drawing pictures of Choppers - collecting motorcycle pamphlets, tearing up his grampa's lawnmower just to see what made it run.. Definitely a problem child.. NO ONE back than understood the meaning of "its in his blood" and the little fellar got many a whoopin to try and drive those "feelings" far from him... It didnt work cause you cant change who or what a person is...

Still to this day,,, doesnt matter what I am riding,, be it a moped - dirtbike - minibike or full blown dresser - I still get that same feeling you are describing everytime I am riding..

4. It means a lot to me to live my life freely and without fear.

Yea,,, 11th amendment should have read as follows,,, Government shall pass no laws infringing on the right to keep and bear motorcycles.. All other forms of transportation shall herein be considered secondary and subservient to the above.. In that motorcycles have a soul and provide the means to "the pursuit of happiness" all forms of taxing and harrassing associated with motorcycling qre herein deemed unconstitutional..

I loved the show Then Came Bronson I guess and the opening statement where the guy says where you going. Bronson says something to the effect of "down the road" and the motorist wishes it could be him. I just enjoy being able to do something that probably 80% of folks dont enjoy.

Going down that long lonesome highway,, bound for the mountains and plains,, sure aint nothin here gonna tie me,, and I got some friends I'd love to see again,, one of these days I'm gonna,, settle down,, but till I do I wont be,, hangin round....

Sang it for years and still do too DJ!! Gotta say though,,, looking back on my years of "going down that long lonesome highway",,,, I have gotten sooo spoiled by my Venture seats that the thought of the seat on Bronsons sporty for all those miles makes my butt ache :rotf:

I do agree with most everything said so far. I often hear how crazy I am for riding, and how I must have a death wish of sorts. My standard answer is----The Bible says "I know the day you come, I know the day you go, I know the number of hairs on your head" With this being said ... I shall not walk in fear of anything, riding included. When my time comes, I go home, It should not matter if I am on a plane, train, big truck, in bed, or out riding. Just know that if I go while riding, I was doing something that I truly enjoy..

Bill

Super good post here Bay,, sure brought back lots of emotions, memories and describes my life to a tee..

Back in 1960, a little Puc in Kindergarten kept getting himself in huge trouble cause he didnt fit the societal mode of "normal".. Instead of playing with little boys collecting ball cards - playing little league baseball and such,, he was busy drawing pictures of Choppers - collecting motorcycle pamphlets, tearing up his grampa's lawnmower just to see what made it run.. Definitely a problem child.. NO ONE back than understood the meaning of "its in his blood" and the little fellar got many a whoopin to try and drive those "feelings" far from him... It didnt work cause you cant change who or what a person is...

Still to this day,,, doesnt matter what I am riding,, be it a moped - dirtbike - minibike or full blown dresser - I still get that same feeling you are describing everytime I am riding..

Back in the day we would "Appropriate" lawn mowers for motors and parts to build all of our motorized contraptions. We motorized an ironing board one time. It was as fast as could be on the straight-a-ways but, you didn't want to try and turn it the least little bit or it would roll.

Yea,,, 11th amendment should have read as follows,,, Government shall pass no laws infringing on the right to keep and bear motorcycles.. All other forms of transportation shall herein be considered secondary and subservient to the above.. In that motorcycles have a soul and provide the means to "the pursuit of happiness" all forms of taxing and harrassing associated with motorcycling qre herein deemed unconstitutional.. Did ya ever consider running for President or at least get appointed to the Supreme Court?

Going down that long lonesome highway,, bound for the mountains and plains,, sure aint nothin here gonna tie me,, and I got some friends I'd love to see again,, one of these days I'm gonna,, settle down,, but till I do I wont be,, hangin round.... Those who haven't done the real long distance riding around the country like us, probably don't get it.

Sang it for years and still do too DJ!! Gotta say though,,, looking back on my years of "going down that long lonesome highway",,,, I have gotten sooo spoiled by my Venture seats that the thought of the seat on Bronsons sporty for all those miles makes my butt ache Finally, Puc you have successfully knocked the Psycho Dad song out of my head........ Now I'll be singing the Bronson song for the next week. :rotf:

Puc, apparently you and I have a lot in common.

I do agree with most everything said so far. I often hear how crazy I am for riding, and how I must have a death wish of sorts. My standard answer is----The Bible says "I know the day you come, I know the day you go, I know the number of hairs on your head" With this being said ... I shall not walk in fear of anything, riding included. When my time comes, I go home, It should not matter if I am on a plane, train, big truck, in bed, or out riding. Just know that if I go while riding, I was doing something that I truly enjoy..

Bill

No Death wish, I'm not afraid of Dying I'm afraid of not living.

Puc, apparently you and I have a lot in common.

That we do Bob,,, that we do..

When asked that question I just reply "If you have to ask .....you don't understand"

or,,, "ya see that old coon hound with his head hanging out da window of that car,,,,, go ask him - he can explain it much better than I,,,,, of course - it goes without saying - ya still gotta be smarter than an old coon hound to understand" :backinmyday:

That we do Bob,,, that we do..

or,,, "ya see that old coon hound with his head hanging out da window of that car,,,,, go ask him - he can explain it much better than I,,,,, of course - it goes without saying - ya still gotta be smarter than an old coon hound to understand" :backinmyday:

Like when the little girl asked little Johnny why his dog was licking himself where dogs lick themselves?.... Little Johnny answered.... "Because he can"

I was a police officer and around 1973 the department added a couple of motorcycles to its highway patrol unit. I expressed interest in riding to my wife, whose response was "The day you ride up to the front of the house on a motorcycle, the kids and I are leaving by the back door." She was terrified of motorcycles, and didn't want to worry herself into an early grave waiting for me to be killed on one.

About 3 years later, I bought (with her approval) a Yamaha 175 trail for commuting to get my pilot's licence. (She didn't seem to worry about me flying, just riding.) I went to an RD400, an XS750, a Virago 1000, and survived them all, plus a Triumph 650 Bonneville. She got curious about the attraction, and her fear had abated. We had a 200CC 2-stroke road bike we carried on our camper, and she tried riding that, then got her licence on it. One day, at very slow speed, on a gravel road, (just trying to get back to pavement) she rolled it. Took the windshield right off. She wasn't hurt, just sort of stunned. She climbed back on, we got to the pavement, and we rode about 80 miles home. The Honda dealer in Lethbridge had a bike sale on, and we got her a Hondamatic 400, so her only real issue/fear with riding (stalling while entering traffic) would be gone. She loved it, and we rode together many miles. We also put many miles on bicycles touring in all kinds of road and traffic conditions.

She no longer rides a motorcycle (bad hips from curling), but she understands why I do, and doesn't worry about me when I'm out somewhere on the bike. That's huge. She knows I'm not some over the hill squid; I just love to ride and she trusts me to come home every time safe and sound. She understands the risks, and knows I'll do everything I can to mitigate them. I couldn't enjoy riding if I knew she was sitting at home worried about me.

I love riding (I agree with the flying analogy) for the same reasons we all do, plus I know my wife is at home loving me, and not worrying about me.:322:

Peter

I was a police officer and around 1973 the department added a couple of motorcycles to its highway patrol unit. I expressed interest in riding to my wife, whose response was "The day you ride up to the front of the house on a motorcycle, the kids and I are leaving by the back door." She was terrified of motorcycles, and didn't want to worry herself into an early grave waiting for me to be killed on one.

About 3 years later, I bought (with her approval) a Yamaha 175 trail for commuting to get my pilot's licence. (She didn't seem to worry about me flying, just riding.) I went to an RD400, an XS750, a Virago 1000, and survived them all, plus a Triumph 650 Bonneville. She got curious about the attraction, and her fear had abated. We had a 200CC 2-stroke road bike we carried on our camper, and she tried riding that, then got her licence on it. One day, at very slow speed, on a gravel road, (just trying to get back to pavement) she rolled it. Took the windshield right off. She wasn't hurt, just sort of stunned. She climbed back on, we got to the pavement, and we rode about 80 miles home. The Honda dealer in Lethbridge had a bike sale on, and we got her a Hondamatic 400, so her only real issue/fear with riding (stalling while entering traffic) would be gone. She loved it, and we rode together many miles. We also put many miles on bicycles touring in all kinds of road and traffic conditions.

She no longer rides a motorcycle (bad hips from curling), but she understands why I do, and doesn't worry about me when I'm out somewhere on the bike. That's huge. She knows I'm not some over the hill squid; I just love to ride and she trusts me to come home every time safe and sound. She understands the risks, and knows I'll do everything I can to mitigate them. I couldn't enjoy riding if I knew she was sitting at home worried about me.

I love riding (I agree with the flying analogy) for the same reasons we all do, plus I know my wife is at home loving me, and not worrying about me.:322:

Peter

Peter,, I still think that starting out with a little trail bike like you did and working your way up the latter is the best way to grow n go... I also KNOW I would have fallin deeply in love with flying but for me,, it just was never feasible financially.. Its gotta produce some amazing feelings of freedom too..

A step further,, if I could buzz around like superman I probably would give up biking and spend my time rippin thru the clouds... :cool10:

I have been asked that question more times than I can count.

I ride because if I was not riding, I would be incomplete, I would not be ME, I would not have the calm, comfortable feeling that "If I can ride just one more mile, , , everything will be OK with the world, , ,it's just around the next curve or over the next hill"

Many years ago, I used to ride solo motorcycle in Houston. That was, without a doubt, the BEST job I have ever had, , ,I used to think, , ,"These fools are paying me to do what I do all the time for free, , , ,"

I don't care how bad a day I have had, no matter how bad my class of little urchins are, , I can get on my scoot and ride all of the tension away.

I am lucky now that I have a wife that loves to ride behind me, , ,often time telling me, ,"Let's leave everything alone and go riding" I ask where she would like to go and she says "Does it matter".

As she and I were dating, I asked her about riding motorcycles, , ,she replied that she had not been on one since she was 16, , ,and trust be, , that was a while ago for both of us, , ,

She said she would enjoy trying it again, , , , It was love at first ride, , , ,

As has been said before, , ,"If you have to ask, , ,you probably will not understand, , , you have to get on one and experience it, , ,it cannot be explained.

You either do or you don't:322:.

Like to share an experience that this thread made me think of. The strongest bond with my father resulted from our many years of touring together each summer throughout eastern Canada and the US. We stayed off the slabs and focused more on the journey than the destination. Then came his major heart attack, where they had to zap him several times to bring him back to life. Didn't know whether he would make it through the night. Went back to the house and put together a large collage of pictures from our many bike trips together and propped it up at the end of his bed, in case he came to. He did, and while he no longer is able to ride (he's almost 90 now), we still talk about our bikes and trips together.

Had alot of people ask me after i had my motorcycle deer accident, Are you done riding? MY answer, NOPE!!!! They all thought i was crazy,I asked if they hit a deer with their car, would they stop driving their car? I have t-shirts printed with this onthe front, OPEN ROAD . FEEL THE FREEDOM .on the back is, IF YOU DONT RIDE, . :thumbsup2: YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND:thumbsup2:

Bill

Very well said!

:backinmyday: