IGNORED

Valve Shim Tool

Flyinfool

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am starting with a long piece of 2 inch square stock. Cut the inner and outer profiles which entails removing 80% of the bar. Then slice it up on the band saw into 1/2 inch chunks. Then mill one side flat and cut the ramp, flip it over, mill to final thickness and cut the other ramp.

At the moment I am using some cheap scrap steel just to prove out the process and fixtures. It only takes a couple of uses for this cheap steel to start showing wear. Once I get everything working right, I'll buy the bar of 1045 steel and do it again for real. The 1045 is tough enough that I do not have to heat treat.

I could make these out of 1018 which is a LOT easier to machine, but then I would have to case harden them.

The first time I made these I was wearing out $100+ solid carbide end mills. I now have all indexable tooling for this, so now I will wear out $12 carbide inserts.

I think the inserts to cut the harder 1045 will be cheaper than the case hardening.

so a process of square stock into the mill first do your internal dimensions, then move to the lathe cut the outer profile and then band saw before doing the small side ramps in the laite again individually?

now guessing by the square stock you have a 4 jaw chuck on the lathe would it not be faster to do the ramps first

offset the stock in the jaws and use a parting tool to make the ramps with an extra .260 - .270'' clearance for later parting and tolerancing

then do your basic outside round profile, move to mill do your internal dimensions and after that's done all you have to do is toss it back into the lathe and cut em off with the parting tool and polish.

how i would go about it myself to cut out having to do any steps on the tools one at a time its a little bit more wasteful on stock but a might bit quicker

are you holding the stock in the mill with an indexing head and if so why use the square stock? the tool would be just as effective but easier to produce if you were able to start with round stock and not have to waste the time or metal to go from square to round

sorry if i seem to be sticking my nose into your work just happen to see something for my brain to play with and go for it, gets damn boring on this base.

so a process of square stock into the mill first do your internal dimensions, then move to the lathe cut the outer profile and then band saw before doing the small side ramps in the laite again individually?

now guessing by the square stock you have a 4 jaw chuck on the lathe would it not be faster to do the ramps first

offset the stock in the jaws and use a parting tool to make the ramps with an extra .260 - .270'' clearance for later parting and tolerancing

then do your basic outside round profile, move to mill do your internal dimensions and after that's done all you have to do is toss it back into the lathe and cut em off with the parting tool and polish.

how i would go about it myself to cut out having to do any steps on the tools one at a time its a little bit more wasteful on stock but a might bit quicker

are you holding the stock in the mill with an indexing head and if so why use the square stock? the tool would be just as effective but easier to produce if you were able to start with round stock and not have to waste the time or metal to go from square to round

sorry if i seem to be sticking my nose into your work just happen to see something for my brain to play with and go for it, gets damn boring on this base.

Close but not quite.

I used square stock because it was cheaper than round and available at the time I needed it.

This is a basement hobbyist shop, not a factory, no CNC equipment.

I start in the lathe with the bar between centers and turn the outside profile.

I have a tab welded to the end of the bar to drive it so that I do not have to waste material with a dog.

A 4 jaw chuck would waste 3.5 inches of the bar at the chuck end and another 1/2 inch for a center at the other end. That would lose 6 tools per bar. The first batch that I made the outside was not round it was cam shaped so the entire outside hade to be done on the mill with an indexer between centers. That was a PITA.

Then I move to the mill with the bar between centers on the indexer, where I mill the interior profile for the full length of the bar. LOTS of chips here.

I loose about a half inch at each end of the bar to save enough stock for the centers and cutter run out.

Then I saw it up into parts and mill to thickness and cut the ramp on the mill with the indexer. The saw has a 1/32 kerf and the parting tool is 1/8 wide. Just the difference in kerf I would get 20% fewer tools per bar of material.

This may not be the most efficient way to do this, but I have to work within my machining capabilities.

Yes you can still get onto the list.

I sure wish I could play with a belt fed 50.....

My redesign is finished and seems to work just as good as the original version, and is also a bit stronger so it is less likely to snap in half.

I just ordered the material to make the real ones.

Next week the fun and flying chips begins.

Well chips have been flying for a couple of days now.

I got the first 2 tools done.

The rest will happen much more quickly now. The last couple of steps take about a half hour each tool.

I started with a 9 lb bar of steel and it is down to about 2 lbs left. The rest is a big pile of chips in my shop vac.

Just about ready to start shipping.

The first batch will ship Monday.

FYI

Canada add $5 for First Class International Mail (no tracking or insurance, unknown delivery time), or $15 for Priority International Mail (tracking, insurance, 6-8 days). Either way I will need your phone and email for the customs papers.

Edited by Flyinfool

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Flyinfool, you are the first to ever admit to understanding the handle, and if I ever manage to actually OWN one, I'll need about 5 or 6 boxcar loads of ammo...a year to shoot it as much as I'd want to.

I got to shoot one of those quite a bit. Easy to melt those barrels if you don't swap them right!! A sound you never forget.

I got to shoot one of those quite a bit. Easy to melt those barrels if you don't swap them right!! A sound you never forget.

Are you talking about the sound made when someone grabs a hot barrel with their bare hand?

:whistling:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...