IGNORED

Valve Shim Tool

Flyinfool

There has been a lot of talk lately of folks doing there valve shims.

I had made a batch of the shim tools once before and sold them out.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55831

Maybe its the long winter or just a bout of insanity, but I am thinking of making another batch of about 30 pieces.

I have come up with a new design with all of the same functional dimensions but the new shape will be a lot easier for me to make than the last batch.

I am wondering if there is enough interest to justify the expense of doing another run???

Edited by Flyinfool

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will take a while to get these done.

I am currently running a test with some cheap soft scrap steel that I had laying around just to verify the process and fixtures.

I just ordered a special cutting tool that I will need. It should be here by end of week.

If all works out then I will order the bar of strong steel and go to wackin.

I'll keep you all posted in this thread

I haven't done the operation yet but the new design seems to offer less leverage than the old, does that make a difference?

How much will one cost?

There is never any force applied the the straight section, that is only there as a handle. the ramp which is what does the work is identical to the old version. So leverage is identical.

Cost will be the same or slightly less than the last batch, which was $50 including PP and shipping to USA costs. I wont be able to finalize the cost until I actually get some made to see how much it actually costs me to make them. All I am after is to break even on my costs. The last batch I lost money on every one I sold. But I learned some things along the way that will help this time thru.

Besides I like making chips fly.