IGNORED

New Chrome accessory ? Can´t stand the gap !

StarFan

I have been speculating for quite some time to design and have a prototype made for the gap between the -V-cylinders on the sides of the bike. The only accessory available is the flat carb cover and that little cover that goes to the bottom of the -V-. The gap between is unattended.

Yesterday I went to a metal shop that has a sophisticated laser cutter and bending machines, to have a template made for a brakelight. Had a discussion with the owner and have to say that the possibilities are practically limitless.

Last night I made a rough template to see how this would look and get the general feel for it. Want to change some things in the design but will keep most of that for myself for now and would like to hear what you guys think and what changes you would make if any. I will tell you though that the V4 inscription I intend to move to the bottom part of the shield and have the Yamaha Star logo where the V4 is. These will be cut through the metal with laser, coloured plexiglasds on the inside and lit up with LED lights - any colour possible and any script could be laser cut out like "your name" etc,,,,,

Here below is a picture of the template. A prototype will be made in the weeks to come and I will post when it is ready and installed on bike. But give me at least 4 to 6 weeks since I work abroad and am not to much at home.

So get the design ideas flowing and tell me what you think.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/jonaslill/Technical/SAM_2199_zps13e3df24.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/jonaslill/Technical/SAM_2201_zps313e8a06.jpg

I agree with Bongo. Going all the way to the gas tank is too much. Btw, that obviously would effect the natural airflow around the cylinders. I know thats not as crucial, if at all, with a water cooled bike, but, makes me wonder if it needs a least some airflow.

It's a good idea though.

I agree with Bongo. Going all the way to the gas tank is too much. Btw, that obviously would effect the natural airflow around the cylinders. I know thats not as crucial, if at all, with a water cooled bike, but, makes me wonder if it needs a least some airflow.

It's a good idea though.

Maybe aesthetically placed louvers in line with the fins on the cylinders could be cool .

For some reason I get no picture when I open this thread, but Baron's makes a cover that is intended for that space. The problem with it is that it covers the choke so it really cant be used unless you modify it. . Whatever you do, remember to account for the choke.

Here is a link to the baron one:

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Barons_Mini_Teardrop_Covers_SMOOTH_Royal_Star_p/ba-7607-00.htm

:canada:

First of all this is just a rough template. My thoughts are that it is a little to wide in the top. I will make them not so wide and the will shoot upwards to the gastank in a line from the cylinder covers. There will be a cutout for the throttle adjustment knob as well as the Choke nob.

The template I purposely made to go under the gastank just to keep it in place. The height will be the same as the small carburator cover one Yamaha makes that is inthe picture below..Note that it will also have to have a break (bend) in it like the Yamaha cover since there is a different angle on the carbs than the cylinders. I think that the bend (break) will make this look whole different - like braking it up into two pieces. I will make a precise template in the coming days and post again. I also think that when I have cut out the inscription V4 in the bottom and in this case RED BARON on the upper part where the V4 is in the picture, as well as putting plexiglass behind and light this thing up, this will look a whole kind of a different piece. The template looks very flat and monotonius and I think that will all chance when it is finalised with the above mentioned. The second picture below shows it a little better but note that I also plan to make it a little narrower than the template is.

Asthetically placed louvers in line with the fins is a great idea but I will see how that works out when I have made a precise template with the V4 and RED BARON cutouts - to see if it is to much.

Keep them ideas coming - The prototype is going to cost an arm and a leg and I want to get it as good as possible the first time if possible.

I´ll post the finalised template as soon as I have gotten it done - but need a little bit of time for that. The left side is pretty much the same - only difference if I remember right is the cutout for the Choke but that is an easy design and least of my worries.

I will make a precise DWG drawing when the design is finalised and approved by the manufacturer of this piece.

Last, I have no worries about airflow for the engine. The liquid takes care of that and on top of that there is air flowing from other openings all around. If colling the engine was a problem Yamaha would never have put the fake fins on the outside of the cylinder case.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/jonaslill/Technical/SAM_2194_zpsc975bf70.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/jonaslill/Technical/SAM_2200_zpsc8e80543.jpg

I like it......the V 4 are these going to be laser etched or cut out?

I like some thing like Yamaha does on some of their covers...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0GVUqH9vyU4uifnzzrDK-44vuk1lxU2XLyTePriChUjAUZ2S8kA

They will be laser cut all the way through so I can put a coloured glass behind and some LED lights to light it up. Might even make an extra hookup to the turn signals just for fun and see how it turns out :)

Inscribe a skull head on the template and see how ya like dat....:cool10:

Boomer....who sez skulls and nekkid wimmen look good on our Ventures.:whistling:

No skulls Boomer ! My Red Baron does not like dead bodys.

Jonas who sayz zkullzz should be wrapped with flesh - and neeked women are hard to service while driving daz Baron !!

If you sand blast the colored plexi and then paint the backside white, then edge light it it will have a nice even glow with no points of light.

That´s interesting.

Had been speculating on how to avoid seeint the bulb dots and also if there was an alternative in material, using something else than Plexiglass. I will give this a try and see how it looks.