IGNORED

He's gone.....sigh....

BoomerCPO

My youngest son Josh (age 18) left today and is headed for Navy Recruit Training in Great Lakes(Chicago). He enlisted for 5 years and is pegged to be a Hospital Corpsman. His 4 month A School will begin after he completes 2 months at Boot Camp.

While I am surely proud of his decision to serve and take his 1st steps on the road of his own life it also saddens me because the road he is on now will take him further from me than he has ever been.:(

Boomer....who sez God bless all those who serve in our Country's Armed Forces.

Congratulations on your son's decision. He is following your lead because you showed him how much fun and excitement you can have and get paid for it. Everyday I look at my son and know that he is outdoing all my achievements and successes. It is hard to let go but he is still in your heart.

DITTO, on everything everyone else has said!!

It is so hard watching them step off into their dreams,,,,, I can certainly relate... Ya cant help but be so stinkin proud of em but its still so hard... Boomer, your son will be in our prayers as he serves our great country!!

Thank you for raising such a fine young man and thanks to both of you for your service!!

Puc

Congrats Boomer ya done good. Went through it when my oldest became a US Marine. On a side note; as a professional in the medical field, trauma nurse for twelve years now administrative, corpsmen are top notch! Not your run of the mill er techs. :thumbsup:

Thank You to your son for his sevice!

Both of my sons went through Great Lakes. I know exactly how you feel, and yet I'll bet you couldn't be any more proud.

Our oldest went through the nuclear electrician "A" school, then nuclear power school - both in Charleston, SC before going through the prototype program in Ballston Spa NY. He served 4 years on the Enterprise (insert joke here!), and is now a nuclear reactor operator at Yankee Nuclear in VT. Our middle son has just finished nuclear mechanic "A" school and is awaiting the start of his power school in Charleston.

I was sad when they left, but just like your son they went in with a plan, and I think that makes a world of difference. Please pass on my thanks to your son for his service, and be sure to make plans to get to that graduation ceremony! Very cool... bring tissues!

My Dad went through Great Lakes,,,, um 1941.

Went off to be a carrier pilot, flew Hellcats, shot at Mitzibushi's with big red dots.

He later had to go back there when he got asthma.

Met a cute blond nurse,,, proposed 2 weeks later.

More to the story,,,, but a good place to start!

Tell him we all say thanks!!

My sincere thanks to all who have posted on this thread. While it is difficult and I truly miss my son I know in my heart that he has spread his wings and flown from the nest to start his own life. I would expect no less from my sons than this.

All of posts here have also given me great comfort as well. Life continues and this grizzled old Chief can tolerate and continue on as well.

Boomer.....with thanks to all.

You did good Boomer! That's the point in being a parent...raise them right so they can spread their wings and become great adults too. You hate to see them go, but...

and nothing better than the military. Don went to Great Lakes when he joined the Navy. I think he really liked it there but liked San Diego better. He was on an aircraft carrier.

And as you all know, our youngest son joined the Air Force. Still serving and is now based in Las Vegas for a couple years. That's really a long way from us now, and its hard not getting to see him and the family as much as we used to.

That's another plus to Facebook, Skype, etc...didn't have those wonderful sights when WE were young!!

Tell your son we are so proud of him and his service and thank him!

• 4 weeks later...

I left sunny 60 deg. Pittsburgh on March 30, 1972 bound for Great Lakes. Arrive in 20 deg. Chicago and had a heck of a snowstorm that night. Got our gear and spent my first day in the Navy shoveling snow. I can still remember that first night in the old WW2 barracks at Camp Porter. Wondered what I had gotten myself into.

I'm sure you advised your son not to volunteer for anything, a good rule to live by in the USN. Please tell your son Thank You for his service and Anchors Aweigh.

Quarter Master Second Class

D. Fitzgerald