IGNORED

What do you carry in your saddle bags on a trip?

jfroman

Hi everyone. I recently purchased my first RSTD and I'm curious what types of tools, extra parts, or clothing you carry in your saddle bags on a trip. I have never had a bike big enough to take out of town on an extended trip and I'm curious from your experience what you take or what you recommend others take with them. Living in CA and having a drought this year I'm able to get out and do some riding pretty often but I want to be prepared and not stranded.

Low side bag: Things I don't need much at all. Small all in one tool kit and maybe a couple extra tools thrown in. Small first aid kit. Zip ties of varying sizes. Rain gear. Extra quart of oil. Snap on face shield for half helmet.

High side bag: Wallet. MP3/iPod. Mostly empty to be able to shove helmet in during stops. Whatever little things I might need during stops.

Trunk: Have the trunk bag and all my clothes go in there. Now that I am removing my trunk, I will just line my big duffel bag with a thick leaf type trash bag and then pack my clothes in it. I will strap my duffel bag on the rear seat and luggage rack. If it starts to rain, no worries the clothes will stay dry without having to stop and cover it.

1st gen, so may be a little different.

Left bag; spare TCI, small compressor, tire repair kit, small soldering iron, small umbrella, rain gear, vinyl table cloth and if traveling, my laptop.

Right bag; canvas tool bag fairly well stocked, Plexus, small fire extinguisher, small can of brake fluid, warmer clothes, anything pertinent to our trip.

Trunk; clothes, glasses, small cooler, snack for low sugar and gloves.

Trunk rack; for an extended trip we have a bag we bungee on the rack for more clothes.

In glove box; zip bag with insurance info, bike journal, ink pen, spare reading glasses, small snap coin purse, and small stuff I might want to get to quickly.

In tool bag; clip of wrenches 8 to 14mm, clip of sockets 10 to 17mm, ratchet, screwdrivers, several type pliers, spark plug wrench, 17mm wrench, volt/ohm meter, socket extensions, small hammer, canvas zip bag of small sockets, Swiss Army knife, and a bunch more junk. I also carry this tool bag in my car when traveling.

Since I have an MKI, I have the small bags and space is a premium, but if we are careful, we always seem to have what we need for a trip.

RandyA

Hi everyone. I recently purchased my first RSTD and I'm curious what types of tools, extra parts, or clothing you carry in your saddle bags on a trip. I have never had a bike big enough to take out of town on an extended trip and I'm curious from your experience what you take or what you recommend others take with them. Living in CA and having a drought this year I'm able to get out and do some riding pretty often but I want to be prepared and not stranded.

You may find this helpful

http://micapeak.com/checklists/

LOL Brake Pad

Left bag has rain gear-a must in Fla. If wife is going with on long trip I have to take the C/D player out of there because it is so big. Spare bungie cords, tire plug kit, small C02 inflater, spare headlight bulb. Also a cover for the tour bag. Right side bag on a trip with wife. We pack our clothes in those space saver bags you get at bed bath beyond maybe wally world has them too. Try to fit her clothes into some of those bags and mine each in our own bags. Pack like socks and underware in one, pants and shirts in a couple. I have to use the trunk for carrying these also. We usually have a bag on the luggage rack also and most times I use a tank bag.

I think I could carry more gear easier on my 900 Vulcan than I can on this with the trunk. If your 2 up investment in the tour bags for the luggage rack are worth it imop. Check you craigs list you can find some deals on that sort of stuff.

If you use the space saver bags (space bags) or whatever they are called you dont have to be to concerned with the elements getting bad as everything is already in a plastic bag. I have also used and still have military "laundry" bags. Look like a round duffle bag but are a rubbery type material. Hope I havent been to far off base. So far tool kit has consited of what came with the bike and a leatherman. I mean hey its a venture not a Harley :080402gudl_prv:

saddle bags, rain gear, toilet paper, first aid kits (full size) extra state maps, flashlight ( LEDS), red safety flags ( Do you know by laying your helmet down behind your bike, is the way to tell people your are stranded? "Old School" ):thumbsup2:

Now, if the wife is going, and were going for a week. trailer, full cooler, dry box for paper products, 3 suitcases ( hers) lap top, X box 360 ( I have to have something to do while shes on the beach) my one overnight bag. spare tire, full tool box, two beach chairs, and umbrella. 12 volt battery for the electric blender, (mixed drinks on the beach):cool10:, second trailer for the bikes, so we have something to ride while on the island ( Sanibel Island ) If you win the runner up prize this is were your going):draming:

http://www.gbreeze.com

OMG !!! don't forget the blow dryer, they'll never here the end of it !!!!

Umm, tools, rain gear, bottle of wine, maps, shock pump, bottle of whiskey, emergency kit...

What ............No hot sex :confused24:

1. small 1st aid kit in soft pouch
  2. a tool kit in soft tool bag
  3. spare plugs, bulbs and fuses
  4. a bit wire, tape and connectors
  5. a small assortment of zip ties, bungie cords and small length of rope (I never go anywhere without a length of 1/2" rope)
  6. rain gear and thermal vest.
  7. a change of dry clothes (specially underwear for those after a close call situations:shock3: :yikes:)

I probably carry too much but often I don't know if I am going to stay over night somewhere so I also carry

1. a compact air mattress
  2. a compact sleeping bag
  3. a small 2 man tent (eureka spitfire II, rolls up the size of a thermos bottle)
  4. small cooking kit and compact stove.

Believe it or not it all fits in my saddle bags leaving my top trunk empty for whatever.

Edited by saddlebum

besides the obvious tools and clothing. I added fuses for the bikes lights, and I made a set of jumpers that are long enough in case you needed another bike to give you a jump. The jumpers have the same quick connect harness as my battery tender, so I dont have to open up the bike to get at the battery.......Havent had to use them, but its nice to know I've got them. I have had to replace a fuse. And that reminds me, have some allen wrenches too. gonna need them to get at the fuse.

Seems like whatever I pack its never the right thing:confused24: and I always find it out at the most inopportune times:rotf:.

Right side bag = maintenance department= 1/4 drive socket set - deep and shallow with extentions, screw driver bits that fit 1/4 inch drive, set of open/box ratcheting wrenches with pivot, long reach needle nose, wire stripper/side cutters, 4 dollar ohm meter from HF, small roll of Duct Tape, variety of Tie Wraps, tire irons, 16 inch channel locks (favorite hand tool of all times), 5 foot of gas line (can hook up to tank vent and pressurize tank if pump fails), xtra brake pads, shrader valves, small spool of 14 gauge wire, small spool of safety wire, rubber bands, small flash light, lighter, shop rag and a little waterless hand cleaner..

Left bag = weather emergency stuff, balacalava's, snowmobile gloves, dirtbike googles, rain gear, old hoodies x 4, couple large garbage bags, toilet paper..

Trunk = clothing for the summer which amounts to weeks worth of clothes for the wife - an extra pair of socks/shorts/a shirt and jeans for me..

Top of trunk = Leather snowmobile jacket for wife - leather biker jacket for me..

Rack on back = Menards 2 person tent with sleeping bags/pillows/couple wash clothes and towels, squished moskeetoes rolled up inside..

Antenna mount = gallon jug of fresh water

Fairing box (where cassette player was at) = medical department = Sunscreen, oral hygien supplies, pain killer (excederin, Ibuprofen), first aid kit, batteries.

Tank bag = wallet, camera, small bible (need all the help I can get), knife, small flashlight (non emergency), camera batteries, clear and sun glasses, tire gauge..

Dash board - extra ball cap, plate to put under kickstand to keep bike from falling over on the desert floor - doesnt always work..

UGH I forgot all about the TP. Yea its in there. I learned that way back when I was stationed in OK and had to drive to Fla to folks house on leave. Middle of the night back then stop at a rest area (especially in Tx and La) there was never a gaurentee they were stocked. And you KNOW when you figure that out.

Left side bag:

Fuses, sockets, FROGG TOGGS, tie downs, air compressor, tire gauge, tire sealant. Nothing more bc of CD on that side

Right side bag

Full face night/ day visor, stabil or seafoam, gloves, rest of tools, flashlight, napkins, XM/ Sirius , GPS, water bottles, light snacks, bandanas, maps, chargers for all electronics, extra firearm mag, different CD

Trunk:

All of my clothes, iPad, sneakers, large leaf garbage back, to protect inside stuff from leakage in heavy down pours. Ziplock bags for XM/GPS when raining. Concealed firearm book if out of state.

Right side and trunk items inside the bestem zip up travel cases

Picked up a tour master tank bag for written maps or google printed maps, change of sun/ night glasses, food, lip balm, sunscreen, bandanas,knives, cell phone, pen and paper. Etc

Firearm stays on me.

Cowpuc! You have quite the system going on there! Like it. I will definitively coping some of your ideas!!! Unless of course you object!! Hahaha Thanks!

Oppppss Ion,,, sorry,, its patented :rotf::rotf::rotf: Shhhhuuurrrrr go ahead,, BUT if ya havent got what cha need when ya need it DONT BLAME ME!!!:backinmyday:

Other pointers, use actual motorcycle tie downs to hold tent on (work far better than bungees - lots of other uses like towing bikes, hanging close on, strapping broken bikes on trailers, stabilizing bike against tree to change tires), use luggage net over tent - place wet clothing/towels/wash cloths and stinky socks in netting - sun drys cloths and gets rid of stink, also carry cheap bike cover in netting..

Forgot the rest of the bike,,, cover bike in stickers from sites ya see (cheap souvenirs - help holds bike together when ya roll over on mountain trails) , animal horns on mirrors (even the nastiest of thieves wont touch your bike), party beads and ohhhh yea - have folks alllllll across the country sign your bike so you take your precious memories with you every where you go!:Laugh:

DSCN0613.JPG

Saddlebags?

The Ural aint gots no stinkin saddlebags!

:D

Them Urals dont NEED no stinkin bags,,, got enough space in the side hack to put all your tools, camping gear, generator, air conditioner, artillery and ammo and still carry that fresh killed Muley back to camp laying over the spare tire...:stirthepot:

We done watched all those vids you posted,,,,,, very carefully :whistling::rotf::rotf:

• 10 months later...