IGNORED

Here is what happens when is snows in the south.

DragonRider

Some of them are getting cleared, still dicey on the icey roads. Some money hungry tow operators were removing vehicles from the interstate and now want to gouge the owners for towing. They were not authorized by the city or state to tow. I hate companies that would do that for the few extra dollars they get.

About as bad as it gets. Looked more like a junk yard instead of a highway. :confused24:

I remember a few years ago when we had a snow and I was out and I saw four different wreaks and all four were four wheel drive vehicles that had slid into other cars. It may help in going, but not so much when trying to stop.:no-no-no:

RandyA

Ya got that right Randy!!

WOW what a mess ya'll got down yonder... :confused24:

Doesn't get any nastier than Ice, in the North or South. 401 is a major highway and it has been closed at least 3 times this winter right by the house and last year there was two pileups 50 and 35 cars.

Hope all made it through relatively okay

I grew up driving in snow in western MD. Now I live in east TN. By no fault of their own.... folks down here have absolutely no clue how to drive in snow/ice! None! I stay home. Not because snow scares me... but because I knew at least half those I encounter will have no idea what to do.

I hope no one in that video was seriously hurt.

Well heck. Not like it was a big suprise out of no where. They had been telling folks for 2 days it was comming. They knew it was going to be bad, just not how bad. So lets recap. Roads are going to freeze and snow so lets go drive in it. :confused24: I dunno. I know some folks had to go to work, but I dont get the part about kids being stuck in schools over night. Why did they even open?

So where was the snow? We rarely get snow here but when we do it is always the big fancy 4X4's in the ditch. They don't have a clue. We get some people from the mid west and east who tell us we don't know how to drive in the snow. They wind up in the ditch because we get goose grease out here while they get nice dry snow back there with lots of traction.

Well heck. Not like it was a big suprise out of no where. They had been telling folks for 2 days it was comming. They knew it was going to be bad, just not how bad. So lets recap. Roads are going to freeze and snow so lets go drive in it. :confused24: I dunno. I know some folks had to go to work, but I dont get the part about kids being stuck in schools over night. Why did they even open?

Yup, That is what I do every time, I love driving in snow. The slicker it is the more fun I have. I usually stick to the side streets and back roads that have less traffic and more snow. Erika can not understand how I always seem to find a absolutely sound reason to "have" to go out in a snow storm.:snow2:

In my life time up here in Wisconsin I have never yet missed a day of work due to weather. I have never worked for any place that ever closed due to weather. The boss like to use the fact that I have a 21 mile commute and always make it in to pick on the guys that literally live 2 - 4 blocks away and "can not" make it in.:whistling::snow2:

In our defense, let's keep in mind that Atlanta has no (zip-zero-nada) flat, straight roads. All roads are either uphill or down hill, and most turns are off camber. But -- we also have a lot of drivers who don't know to keep their brake rotors turned and to bleed tire pressure when it gets slick.

They shut Charleston and surrounding areas down Tuesday night, I did not think we got that much snow and ice after it was all said and done but if they had not we may have had a similar situation.
There was no doubt that we were warned but who would have thought that that much would be so far South. I live right at the NC and SC border and we got nailed. But when you look at those cars hitting each other at those speeds on Atlanta I-85, how could not know to slow down!!!! I live in Pumpkin Town, SC and I did grow up in NYC and lived in Fla. for over 27yrs. It snowed in Fla. in 89 and in 77, in 77 there even got snow flakes in the Bahamas!!! I can not believe that nobody had their radios on or tv at their offices? On the bright side hope to make the g&m in Columbia, hope to see you then, jim

Yup, That is what I do every time, I love driving in snow. The slicker it is the more fun I have. I usually stick to the side streets and back roads that have less traffic and more snow. Erika can not understand how I always seem to find a absolutely sound reason to "have" to go out in a snow storm.:snow2:

In my life time up here in Wisconsin I have never yet missed a day of work due to weather. I have never worked for any place that ever closed due to weather. The boss like to use the fact that I have a 21 mile commute and always make it in to pick on the guys that literally live 2 - 4 blocks away and "can not" make it in.:whistling::snow2:

I bet you even enjoyed blowing the bell curve in school.

In our defense, let's keep in mind that Atlanta has no (zip-zero-nada) flat, straight roads. All roads are either uphill or down hill, and most turns are off camber. But -- we also have a lot of drivers who don't know to keep their brake rotors turned and to bleed tire pressure when it gets slick.

Just a little confused about what turned rotors and tire pressure have to do with winter driving.

Must be one of those southern snow myths.

My only guess is that IF you have badly warped rotors that it will cause them to grab at the high spot and start the skid? But a warped rotor should be taken care of as standard maintenance, not just snow prep.

Tire pressure is actually the other way around. Increasing tire pressure will help in the snow. Traction on snow is pounds per square inch. That is why skinny tires work better than fat tires in snow. Increasing your tire pressure will reduce the size of the tire contact area with the road, which will increase your pounds per square inch and give better traction on snow. The increased pressure will also raise the bottom of the car up just a tad for more ground clearance.

Getting traction on snow is very different from getting traction on mud or sand.

Must be one of those southern snow myths.

My only guess is that IF you have badly warped rotors that it will cause them to grab at the high spot and start the skid? But a warped rotor should be taken care of as standard maintenance, not just snow prep.

Tire pressure is actually the other way around. Increasing tire pressure will help in the snow. Traction on snow is pounds per square inch. That is why skinny tires work better than fat tires in snow. Increasing your tire pressure will reduce the size of the tire contact area with the road, which will increase your pounds per square inch and give better traction on snow. The increased pressure will also raise the bottom of the car up just a tad for more ground clearance.

Getting traction on snow is very different from getting traction on mud or sand.

Now if we were talking beach sand, 12 pounds of pressure works great!!! Keep it up down there and I will have to go into the "selling tire chains in the south" business! :whistling:

Good points on pressure in your tires ,I have also found tire compound has a lot to o with traction .your 80k tires being hard compound dont bite in as well as a softer compound tire.Good open sipes generally make for a good self cleaning tire improving traction.

Yes tire rubber compound and tread pattern both have a lot to do with traction on snow. The Blizzak tire is the best snow tire on the market. They make a point to say that they should never be run on bare pavement because they will wear out very fast. They do have a very soft compound.

I would never put an 80K tire on anything I drive, they are so hard that they do not get good traction on any surface.

I only brought up tire pressure because that I a quick cheap easy fix for the best possible traction with what you already have. I can not see people in the south spending the bucks for good winter tires the will end up rotting in the garage.

Usually i am happy to stay in my little corner but - The brakes-- dont care about the warping so much as the glazing. Don't want one tire not trying as hard as the rest to stop the car.

The tire pressure - most cars run all season tires down here that have the rain sipes running with the direction of travel. With lower pressure as the tire contacts the ground, the sipes close up just a little and grip the snow a little better (doesn't count on ice). Or that is how is was explained to me by someone I thought knew more that me (most people know more than I do).