IGNORED

Some could have a very COLD Christmas.

The Tooch

The southern Ontario area got hit by a winter storm with up to 50 hours of freezing rain in some locations, a couple of days ago. This has coated everything in heavy sheet of ice. This morning the sun is out and the sky is clear & blue. Everything including the snow on the ground just sparkles with the ice. It looks like a Christmas postcard!!

But for thousands, the storm brought down trees, branches and power lines. Power is out for many, which means no heat and has been for several days. Power crews have been working around the clock trying to restore power.

Several hydro crews from all over the province and the U.S. have volunteered to give up their Christmas to come and help get the power back. It is very cold here right now and these crews are working in this weather with dangerous ice conditions all around them.

The City of Toronto has many thousands of people without power, I hope all our members are safe and warm this Holiday Season.

When there is a power outage AND it is that cold out, can you just move the contents of the fridge and/or freezer to outside so that nothing melts or spoils?

And that's exactly what i did. Put most of the stuff ouside.

Had to go sleep at our sons place in Stouffville since our house had gotten too cold to sleep in...no power, no heat...:bang head:

Came home this morning to check on things and luckily for us, house had power.:banana:

Still about 90000 homes without power i heard, around Toronto. Its real tough for some folks.

Thanks to the Hydro workers for their hard work in trying to get power restored, in such bad weather. :bowdown:

:beer:

Good morning folks. It's now Christmas morning down under, so let me say Merry Christmas to y'all. The pillion and I are mid-way through a 1200kms drive to see family in South Australia. Expecting a top of 35degC today. What's that - about 90? Love it!

When there is a power outage AND it is that cold out, can you just move the contents of the fridge and/or freezer to outside so that nothing melts or spoils?

That is except for the ice cream, the only way to save that, I agree, is to eat it all.....

On a bit more serious note, I heard something interesting. The experts claim that food in a fridge without power is good for only about 6 hours while fool in a freezer without power is good for about two days.

Mother, guess it is a good thing that you ate the ice cream. I just bought a generator. Do you want to break it in?

On a bit more serious note, I heard something interesting. The experts claim that food in a fridge without power is good for only about 6 hours while fool in a freezer without power is good for about two days.

Mother, guess it is a good thing that you ate the ice cream. I just bought a generator. Do you want to break it in?

I would think that if you closed the door on the fridge the food would last a lot longer. Most or at least many of the food items in a fridge will be good for 6 hours outside of the fridge. I have always heard that a full fridge is good for at least full day and a full freezer is good for at least a week with no power. But this I guess this is highly dependent on the room tep that the appliance is in. A hot summer outage will kiill food a lot faster than a winter storm outage. My fridge and freezer has already gone for 8 days with no power and nothing was starting to thaw in the freezer. Some of the stuff in the fridge was questionable, nothing was obviously bad. Even the stuff in the freezer section of the fridge was still solid. But then the whole house was down to 36°F so it was the same as if the fridge was still running.

I was out of town and did not know the power was out until I got home.

The aquariums with no power for 8 days did not fair nearly so well ........:crying: :mo money:

Edited by Flyinfool

My brother (rest his soul) moved from LA Calif area back to Detriot years ago in the late 60's. when he did he turned the fridge down some a day or so before to get stuff nice and cool. The day they left he pulled the plug, duct taped the dors shut and loaded er up in the pic-up. Drove back to Mich. I would have to imagine that was atleast a 3 day trip. Only thing that happened was 2 eggs were broken.

My brother (rest his soul) moved from LA Calif area back to Detriot years ago in the late 60's. when he did he turned the fridge down some a day or so before to get stuff nice and cool. The day they left he pulled the plug, duct taped the dors shut and loaded er up in the pic-up. Drove back to Mich. I would have to imagine that was atleast a 3 day trip. Only thing that happened was 2 eggs were broken.

Understanding this is a motorcycling site and this all happening years before the first 1st Genner, he was probably hauling that Refer on the back of his Harley, probably a Shovel/Pan.. That being said, he is fortunate to have ONLY broke two of those eggs!! Your brother would have LOVED the Ventures - could have done the trip in 2 days and all his eggs would have made it!!!:backinmyday:

On a more serious note, thoughts and prayers for all those without power!! THAT is not good!!

Puc

I live in Mississauga Ontario.We were hit by that storm as well and our streets look like a DMZ with tree trunks scattered about the streets and walkways.Lucky for us our power stayed on.I loaned our my portable generator to few of my friends that needed it.

It will take weeks to clean up the carnage the storm created. Many thanks to the power workers that our restoring the power here.Special thanks to the American power crews that came down to help out too.

:bighug:

I saw on the news that one couple who lost power had a generator running in their attached garage....they died of CO poisoning.

They are SUPPOSED to be air tight from the house....but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

They don't call it the silent killer for nothing.

Yea we are expecting a cold front here next couple days too. But I dont think its quite as bad. Mid to high 60s Christmas day.

72 this morning, down here in South Florida/ North Cuba. Yesterday the cold front came through, brought the temps down into the low 60's last night, but with all the lakes around our area, the weather, returned to normal overnight.:twing: