IGNORED

Veterans question

Venturous Randy

I am curious as to how many veterans used any or all of their education GI Bill. I got out in Jan 73 and worked a couple of years and when I got laid off, I started back to college. I had went only one quarter before I joined the USAF and when I went back, I was able to get my BS degree from East Tennessee State University and about 1/3 of a Masters.

Just wondered what others did.

RandyA

I took a couple of college welding courses while active duty AF. By the time I went in service (78-96) the "good" GI bill was gone and you had to put money in and Uncle matched it. Well being a struggling mariied airman there just wasnt spare cash to put away for that. As of now I'm like one english class and a math I think from a Assoc degree. Dont know that I'll ever do anything with it.

Got out in '73.

You could use the GI bill for OJT.

Your company filled out the paperwork and made a commitment to give you regular scheduled wage increases as you train OJT.

The government would pay you a monthly up front (cash to you).

As you got the pay raises, they VA benefit would decrease.

I took them up on it. Still doing same IT job 40 years later, just paid better. Oh and got rid of that card system!

Got out in '91 with the Montgomery GI bill and never used a cent of it. Tried to find work for 6 months after I left and once I did finally start working again I had to work so much overtime to try and catch up. I was never able to have enough time to use it....kinda sucks

:(

2 years of college, then Army 68-71. Worked 2 years. Then used GI Bill to finish my remaining 2 years of undergrad work and a year of grad school 73-75. Had a few part-time jobs to supplement the GI Bill (incl joining the National Guard), but it picked up most of the tab.

I also got 30 college semester hours of computer science while in the Army by going to night classes at a nearby community college. And prior to ETS taking advantage of a part-time study program at that same college offered by the Army for the last 3 months of service. I think it was called Project Transition (or some such).

Missed out on senior year of high school to get the old GI Bill joining the Army in 76.

Got my GED while in.

Started on Associates in Drafting at San Antonio College in 82 upon leaving the Army.

Graduated Texas A&M in 89 with a Bachelors in Construction.

GI Bill paid up for all except the last three or so semesters.

Honed my survival skills those last semesters working two jobs, paying child support, and finishing college!! Rather interesting lifestyle, interesting girlfriends, and interesting meals during that time. Not so rather interesting grades! Had a blast!!

Dad tried to transfer his GI Bill to me when I went to college...I think, something about never having used his and being a disabled vet, either way, the Army lost his service records in the St Louis archive fires so couldn't even prove he was a disabled vet.

If you contact your state VA office, they should have copies of your fathers military records.

:15_8_211[1]:

Got out in 72 after tours in Germany and Vietnam. Used the VA benefit to get my "Airframe & Power Plant" license. Lived and partied on the money. Had to pay back a loan for school after I finished. A roommate in school tried not to pay back the loan but the government came after him. Worked on planes and helicopters for several years but no money in it.

What is this about transferring the VA benefit?

BTW if any of you are losing or can't afford health care due to Obama Care there is the VA. Long waits for appointments though. They have been very good helping me with a knee problem. You can get your prescription drugs on line and have them delivered to your house. :)

Signed on to delayed entry senior year in '76. Got out of Navy in '83 and finished my B.S. in Manufacturing Engineering in '88. I had only one or two months of benefits left, since I also attended classes year round.

Made a lot of great friends in the Vet's club at school. :cool10:

Honorably discharged from the Army in the summer of '93 and began classes that fall. Joined the local Nat'l Guard unit at the same time and between the state paying 1/2 of the tuition and the GI Bill, I was able to earn my BA from the University of Iowa without a debt burden.

Transferring the GI Bill was one feature of the Post 9/11 program. Don't think it was available on any of the others.

I used the Viet Nam era for a couple of years, never did get signed up for the Montgomery version after the VN one stopped. But with the recall I did that made me eligible for the Post 9/11. In January I will be ending up doing two years of training at MMI. It has been interesting, got training on HD, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki. Would probably have just transferred it to one of my sons, but there are some time restrictions I didn't meet.