IGNORED

Bikers Code

AngryAmish

In this day and age, not to defend folks, but instead to say that many of these folks dont know the code. The code is very old school 50, 60 + years old and I have to say, probably initiated by 1% clubs that never left a brother behind (much like the military)

My Grandfathers, both Mother and Father side rode bikes, so I knew of the code and paying it forward at a young age. I always stop or slow down if I see a bike on the side of the road. Even if it's a slow drive by and ask if they are ok to see a thumbs up or not. I do it with vehicles as well, but I have to admit that I do stereotype. If I see some kid with the the lime green slammed fart muffler car, I usually dont stop. I KNOW he has a cell phone, and there are some things that you need to know and be able to do. Like say, changing a flat tire. Will I stop if I see a lot of distress, yeah, I will. I'll also stop if I see a carload of women in distress and perhaps not really knowing what or how to do something.

I am a pay it forward type guy, but in this day and age, there are lots of scams and robberies that are taking place under the guise of a stranded motorist. With that said, we all need to be careful when approaching a situation like this....

:2cents:

But good on ya Amish for following the code

:thumbsup2:

I feel that this is why concealed carry is the law of the land.

:farmer:

third that!

I will stop for a lone biker or a car in distress , my exception is a 1% either solo or in a group. Usually carry a tire plug and a pump. I know what lonely feels like on the shoulder.

Years ago when you wanted to get your drivers license, your dad made sure you knew how to fill the tank, change a tire and boost the battery. Point is, you had to know more than how to push the gas pedal.

Today, that's not the case anymore. A lot of people have no idea what's under the hood, or in the trunk, some don't have any idea why it is that you have to put gas in the tank. Point is:,,their thought:,,, if I stop what good will that do, I don't know a blasted thing about what's wrong,,, now if his i-pod didn't work I could fix it.

We have also become a very self centered society, caring only for what happens to ones self.

We also figure that everybody has a cell phone, so help is only a call away.

Put that all together, and we are alienating ourselves from each other,, it's the progression of society, not a good thing, but that's the way things are headed.

Coming back from MS in '08 & was less than 50 miles from home when the bike just died. I coasted to the side of Hwy 151 and started the process of figuring out what had happened. Many bikes passed by, no one - on any brand - stopped. A van pulls up behind me and asked if I needed help. Turns out he owned the Beaver Dam Honda dealership (which was on the other side of the big slab) and had just happened to come in that Sunday to check on something and saw me working on the bike. He went back to the shop, got his trailer, we loaded the bike and my trailer into it (no small task) and he took us to the dealership so the bike could be secured inside overnight. That was my first experience with loose connections at the ignition switch.

I think it's harder to stop for folks broke down when you're traveling on the I-system at 75 mph. I don't fault anyone for NOT stopping, but I always stop when I can do so safely, especially on the smaller highways and backroads where the next town or passing traveler might be a long ways down the road.

Thanks Dan for the compliment. I am humbled. My Father never passed a stranded motorist and from the sounds of it neither did yours. We were taught well. I agree with Red1, it is difficult at times depending on the type of roadway to stop and help.

Since we do not live close to a major interstate it is much easier for us to stop. I am always cautious, and have passed by a few, but often call the authorities for them just in case. Some of my best friends in life are ones that I stopped to help or visa versa. My 7 year old Grandson and I rode the bike to Bridgeport yesterday. Stopped after we passed a farmers wife in a standed pickup. She was 30 miles from home. 90 degree heat. No air conditioning due to the stalled engine. She had called for assistance and was waiting for help to arrive. She appreciated us stopping to check on her. She had only a 40 mile commute in an air conditioned pickup and did not have any liquids with her to drink. She gladly accepted our extra bottle of cold water. Our fathers are no longer on this earth but I think of them everytime I stop.:)

Not to come off like a sour grape here ...But Don't forget bad guys can conceal and carry as well.......and if he is faster than you are, because he already knows what he is going to do then what?

But don't get me wrong I am still one for offering assistance when the occasion arises.

Edited by saddlebum

last year I saw a bike out on the fast lane shoulder, didn't really see what type of bike it was, just that there was a guy standing there. so I swing over, real fast and pulled over, rode the bike back up the should at him, to find it was a cop running radar. so I walk up behind him and ask loudly, "IS YOUR BIKE BROKE DOWN?, he turned with the Radar gun in hand, Puzzled(?) where'd you come from?. I just passed you a few seconds ago, and only saw the bike sitting on the side of the road and some one standing there, Who looked desperate. I came back to make sure you were okay or if I could help you. ( He thanked me for stopping, I pulled two ice cold waters from the bike and handed them to him. Told him to stay Hydrated. I thank him for his service ( and not giving me any SH** for back tracking the shoulder) I rode off.

Yep, I'll stop for anyone.....That's an understatement !!!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Watch this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jeLIiiLZ00]KY Distillery Ride with Bashan VIP 150 (Peace Sport TGPS-840) - YouTube[/ame]

I was on my scooter going through the Distillery Ride near Frankfort KY. At 14:15 you'll see a motorcycle stranded in the middle of the road. I slowed down and ask "Are You OK?" (You can't hear me because I had my mic close to my scooter's exhaust, so all the camera's catching was the exhaust sound). The guy said "Yes! Yes! Yes!" enthusiastically, giving me a thumb up. I didn't want to push it since it was in the middle of nowhere and I didn't carry a weapon, so I left him. At 14:30 you'll see his jackass riding buddy waiting for him doing absolutely nothing.

I believe the same thing. Stopping is usually the best thing to do and usually appreciated (not always tho). One time I was coming back from a swap meet in Fort Erie(Canadian side) and spotted a bunch of Harley riders in gas station who abruptly pulled out in front of me making me hit brakes to accommodate them. NO biggy! 20klm up road happened to see one pulled over so I stopped to see if help was needed. He just stared me down and didn't reply. Few minutes later 2 of his fellow riders showed up and pulled over on wrong side of road and blocked my bike from the front.SSSOOOO I backed up and pulled onto the highway and left them alone. Still stop even with this episode & will continue as there more thankful people around than these.

Guest bodasefus
A lot of old school bikes know if you leave your helmet on the ground in back of your bike , that your in distress or broken down. You will get more people stop for you

that is good to know... I have been riding for about 50 yrs and never knew that...

The Biker's Code

by Author Unknown

It used to be that all bikers shared a common bond, an unspoken code of ethics and behavior that transcended words and was built on actions. There was never a bible written on this Biker's Code and there was no need for such. But the times are a-changin' and there seems to be a lot of new riders out there. These days the riders you see blastin' down the road are just as likely to be clad in shorts and sneakers as jeans and engineer boots. And the roughest, toughestlooking biker you pull up next to could be your doctor or lawyer and may be wearin' a Rolex watch under his leathers. There's nothing wrong with that, so long as these new riders learn the Code just as we old-timers did. Being a biker used to be about using your creativity to take a basket case old hawg and using only grit and ingenuity, turning it into a one-of-a-kind eye dazzler, then risking your life on the asphalt on a bike you made yourself out of pride. Bikers wore leather and grease because they knew cagers would just as soon run them down as look at them, so they had to be intimidating. We were a breed unto ourselves with no union, no support group, and in many cases, no family (they threw us out). We had to make it in the world of our own, against all rules, against mainstream society, and against all odds. We survived and prospered because of the Biker Code and we never took **** from anybody. As an old scooter bro once said, "It's every tramp's job to school

the young. How else are they gonna know a Panhead from a bed pan?" With that in mind, we bring you a primer on the basic two-wheeled Code.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Take heed, brothers and sisters, for our Code is a hallowed one filled with honor and loyalty, the likes of which have not been since the days of knighthood:

Don't take any ****. Be kind to women, children and animals, but don't take any bull****. This is an essential part of being a biker. It has to do with respect and honor. Anyone can be a quick-tempered fool.

Be cool, stand tall and backup what you say with action.

Never lie, cheat or steal. Another way of saying this is to always tell the truth. Bikers are always the greasy bad

guys in the movies, but every real biker knows that his word is his bond. Your word is all you have in life that is truly yours. Guard it carefully and be something noble, for you are a true knight of the road.

Don't snitch. If you see a wrong, fight it yourself, if you are about anything you'll take care of problems yourself and never feel the need to snitch someone off. Snitches are the lowest life forms on earth, right up there with biker thieves.

Don't Whine. Absolutely no one likes or respects a whiner. Another way to say this is hold your mud. Still another way to think of it is, "Don't sweat the small stuff" . Most of life's little inconveniences workthemselves out whether you whine or not. Keep your chin up, dammit! You're a biker, not some lowly snail..

Never say die and never give up. Whether it's in a fight, a debate, or a business deal, no matter how bad it gets, a biker never gives up.

Help others. When a brother or sister is broken down by the side of the road, always stop and help them. Even moral support, if that is all you can give, is better than riding on by. Remember life is about the journey, the ride, not getting there. You already are there. And don't just help bikers, show the world that we are better than our image portrays us. Courtesy costs you nothing and gives you everything.

Stick to your guns. Do what you say you'll do, be there when you say you will. This is called integrity. This also goes back to standing for something. Like the song says, "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything."

Life is not a drill. Yeah, this ain't no dress rehearsal. This is life -- go out and take big bites of it. You've got no time to lose and bikers don't stand around waiting for the party to come to them. You only go around once. Tomorrow you could be road kill, thanks to a chain smoker asleep at the wheel of his Caddy. Live life now, make

the most of each moment.

All right, now let's review.

You are a biker, a modern-day knight of the road.

Protect the weak, walk tall and stand proud.

Your word is your bond.

Stick to your guns.

Don't take any ****.

Life is not a drill.

Now go forth and ride. When in doubt, ride. That's what we do...ride. If you want to ride around in a Day-Glo Hawaiian shirt and sandals, go for it, but if you intend to look like a idiot, at least don't act like an idiot.

These commandments are just a few of the broad strokes, there is a lot more to being a biker than buying a bike. If you just buy a bike, you are a motorcyclist. Being a biker is a way of life, a proud way of life we hold in high regard with a burning passion for the open highway.

What say you?

Once I was in my truck. It was a cab over. A biker was stopped and he had a lot of military gear jacket, sea bag all that looked like he just got out. I stopped to help repair. He insisted it was beyond hope and he needed a ride. So against DOT regulations about no passengers I said OK. Small talk and where ya want let off.... I want to go to sleep he says and proceeds to try to crawl into my sleeper behind me. I said no then no sternly he kept insisting and he pulled a knife out and the fight was on, I was fighting with one hand driving with the other and trying to get someone to help me on the CB. I got stabbed just before I got it into a truckstop . soon as I got it off the road where I could fight without driving I got him in a leg lock and squeezed the life out of him while getting other truckers over to me. Turns out that was a stolen bike and that dude was off the charts crazy. Well known by Pa police. They were at the bike up the road wondering what went on with it. Needless to say I had some spraining to do about picking him up in the first place, but the troopers gave me a ride to the hospital and back to the truck. The cab was a mess with all his stuff all over looked like a war zone. No one could believe I didn't wreck it.

So in certain situations I'll stop, the rest I'll hope you have a cell phone and AMA. (Roadside assistance for bikes).

On my way back from Tail of the Dragon with my Roadstar I had the tank off 8 times on the side of the road dealing with a leaky manifold. No one stopped. I didn't care. If I need something I'll stop them.

On my way to Kansas same bike I figured out the manifold and had the tank off 8 more times jetting. One person stopped, they had a loose dog with them who stole my baseball cap that had all the carb parts neatly laid inside. I never found some of them. Got it running anyways. Wish he did not stop.

Once I wrecked, I was bleeding badly from the face as I went down a hill face first after going over thee bars in a rain rut. We were dirt riding the sand pits. I was riding my bike slowly as my friends tried to get people to stop , no one did. I made it to a relatives house who took me to the hospital, I was in shock , then went into a coma. Word to the wise, when someone is INA coma they can still hear you say how f,ed up you look.

Last trip I had with 2 friends, one rear ended me, his brakes went out he said. Then they went out again on the Tail , amongst other problems. Spent maybe three days of a five day trip watching him work on his bike. There went my vacation. Same guy called me an idiot for removing my brakes cleaning them and lubing them. Told me I should be a yami mechanic since I like to work on their junk.

At that point I sewed on a Lone Wolf patch and away I went. I say if I'm going to ride with an AZZ its going to be on the rear of my bike! Lots of trips alone since. Lots of stopping to help people I carry a iron butt style tool and supply kit both SAE and metric. If I can't get you going, at least I'll be sure your OK and have someone on the way.

But I don't expect anyone to stop for me. If I break down I always say go on, I'll get it and catch up. If it gets that bad I'll call AMA or get a u haul.

And here is a trick I have used several times. When someone is out of gas, just find a container, normally a can or bottle from the ditch. Take off your fuel line and drain some from your tank into the bottle and transfer it to their tank. I even carry a section of fuel hose as wide as the trunk to make it easy.

So, I'm all over the map on this bikers code stuff. I like to help, but I don't like to ruin someone's ride either, and if your ruining mine by three days because you didn't do preventative maintenance, my sympathy diminishes.

One entire saddlebag is full of tools and supplies on my bike. Tools don't do you any good without extra clamps, plugs, Jb weld, rescue tape, thread locker, nuts bolts, screws, glue, duct tape, zip ties, air compressor, tire patch, and on and on. So with me Lone Wolf style, first be able to help yourself, and as a last resort bug someone else.

If you do stop, be well prepared. Not a good idea to give a ride unless you know them.

Every situation is different. Gotta use a lot of judgement. If you have a Venture flag, I'll certainly stop. But its not a cut and dry thing. Everyone should have AMA. And a way to maybe contact someone you Know to help you, like from this site. That's the best help you can get, they have knowledge, parts and know how.

Edited by IronMike

• 3 months later...

Holy Cow!!!!

I have helped people in the past and am luck my arse is intact like many of you.

As Strother Martin once said "People are SO MISERABLE!" ("Rooster Cogburn and the Lady" a movie I'm sure we're all familiar with) and he was SO RIGHT!.

Stopping to help someone and getting poorly treated is FUBAR (German for messed up) !!!!

The code was strong at one time. A few of you know I once wore colors. Going down road in early 70s and group of bikes around another at side of road. I was wearing my colors. Did a U-turn went back and ask what was up. Generator had quit on old Hardley and it ran battery dead and quit. They had nothing to work with I had set of homemade jumpers in bag. Hooked them up and sat and ran my bike long enough to charge his up and they could get somewhere to take care of it. What was strange?? They were all wearing colors and not the same as I was. Not a word was said about the colors as long as I was there. They did want me to know they were just passing thru.

Leaving someone behind just aint right! With the fact that everyone has sell phones the only reason to leave one with their bike would be to go get food and drink then bring it back.:whistling:

:mytruck1:

...except in Turkey Point where cell phones don't get any reception!

:(

One awesome summer day back home, in Romania, I misjudged a left turn and laid my Virago 535 nicely down the middle of the junction. I only had my licence for a month and the bike for two weeks, was new and stupid :). I was OK (credit goes to the leathers) but the bike was too heavy for me to lift (and in the heat of the moment I didn't remember the proper lift trick) and there was glass and polycarbonate shards all over the place from the windshield and headlight. I went to the sidewalk, some 5 meters from the bike, to take my helmet off and cool down a bit when this white car comes to a screeching stop and the driver jumps out and runs at me asking "are you OK?". I took a couple seconds to get a grip on myself and then answer that I'm OK, but can't get the bike off the road. We went back, lifted it and pushed it on the sidewalk (which wasn't easy as it was stuck in 2nd and the clutch cable was too kinked to work). I extended the sidestand, let the bike on it carefully and then checked for gas or battery acid leaks. When I turned around to thank the guy, he was there no more. I am forever grateful.

A year later, we were a group of 5 (IIRC) Viragos including a beginner (that is, "more" beginner than us as we were all pretty much newbies). That guy did well, but he lacked the endurance training to pull off a 300km trip in one day, over twisty roads and such, so about 80km from home it became obvious he got so tired he was beginning to be a danger to himself. I split the gang (the others were becoming nervous with the pace) and pulled off with the noob. He was still in denial: claimed his headlight was misaligned and that's why he can't see right. Had one sidebag full of tools and was bent on fixing it :-) Spent about 45 minutes talking him out of it and making him realize he was actually dead tired. We limped along in first gear until the first gas station, refilled and had a hot drink. By this time he was pretty aware of the situation and started excusing himself for keeping me behind -- I told him it's OK, others have done it for me when I was a noob myself and that I'll get him home. We went out of the gas stop and made the last ~70km or so in about one and a half hours. That guy now has a travel blog and has done Russia on an Ural :D

Fast forward three years and I was stopped on the shoulder of M7 in Ireland, changing the batteries of the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx, on my way to the Killarney Bike Fest. I did the change as fast as I could (because I loved the weather and I wanted to resume riding ASAP) and yet about 3 different bikers stopped to ask if I was OK :-)

Fast forward a year later and me and my then-girlfriend were stopped on the shoulder of N7 for her to put the rain pants on. It was late evening and was getting too chilly for her. A van stopped behind us to ask if we were OK.

So there are still good people in the world. I also usually stop (or at least slow down to ask for a thumbs up) when I see a bike on the side looking in distress. Whenever I ride in a group I wait for the slow ones, effectively becoming "the Charlie", even if noone usually waits for me. Paying it forward is the way.

Almost always stop to help, even back track from closest exit.

Often you can help,,, often you can just wait with them.

Have made a couple of friends doing so. One is a Millennium owner who lives on a lake and has a bass boat (nice friend to have).

One of my favorite "rescues" was stopping for a younger fella on a street bike.

He was out of gas on the interstate. I took a drink bottle, rinsed it with some water I had, pulled the gas line off my petcock and filled the bottle. Got it started and followed him to the next gas stop.

Still remember him looking at me like, "you can do that?".

A few nights ago I was riding and saw an old Suzuki at the side of the road, I pulled over and asked if everything was ok. He said bike started to sputter and died. I asked him if he was alone, he said he was riding with a buddy and that his buddy couldn't wait and stick around. I asked him if he had fuel, he said his gauge is marking 1/4 left. I asked him how many miles he did on the tank (don't recall how much he told me he did). So I told I was going to the nearest gas station, get some fuel and try to see if maybe he ran out of gas. Did that, poured gas in the tank and bike started right away. His gauge was not working properly. He thanked me, I refused any payment from him, I told he can pay me back by Paying it Forward !! We exchanged phone numbers. He told me he was glad he made a new friend because he just lost one a few hours earlier for abandoning him.

AA

You are a good man!

I must admit I have not come across anyone on the side of the road or needing assistance as of yet... I am also a newbie and knew nothing of a code... After reading this thread I have now been enlightened and educated.. I shall endeavor to honor the code and to offer assistance when I do happen upon the situation...