IGNORED

Massive failure of Avon Venom rear tire

infonaut

I'm curious to see what you guys think about this one. On Sunday I was headed home to Connecticut from a friend's in Philly and about 15 miles outside of town I started to feel a strange wobble in the rear end of my 87VR. As it got pretty nasty, I pulled over as quickly as I could and discovered I had a completely blown rear tire including bead separation on both sides. Once I got the bike towed home and up onto the center stand, I discovered that I had 3-4 patches on the tread like the one in the attached photo - including 1 about 6 inches long and worn completely through thus causing the flat. (Incidentally, I'm convinced my Ride-On saved my life again by giving me enough time to get to the side of the road).

The tire had less than 15K on it (at least I'm pretty sure of that) over about a year and a half of use. Any idea what caused this? The dealer mounting the new tire asked if I'd been doing burnouts but I explained that I couldn't spin the rear tire on that bike if I tried. He figures it was tread separation caused by a bad tire but I'm not sure that makes sense - especially on an Avon Venon. Any ideas?

Sorry the photo sucks. I'll upload better ones when I get the old tire back tomorrow with the newly mounted one.

I change the rear tire between 10,000 and 11,000 I could get a little more mileage out of it but I don't press it. Better to be on the safe side. I found that the Avon tire is a soft grippe tire. Therefor it wears a little faster and that's ok with me. 15,000 miles to me is really pushing it :2cents:

:7_2_104[1]:

That's very interesting??? ------------IT appears that U have never put the VR on center-stand! to check tire for ANYTHING????!!!!!!!!!!---------u got your nickles worth outta that TYRE--------------consider your-self lucky and quit *****ing----------P.S. there is a lesson to-b learned here????????----------ya got-it yet----------RIDE-ON works------------65 in NewBraunfels this-day:thumbsup2::sign outstanding:

Guest tx2sturgis

This HAS to be bait. The guy knew he wore it out...hes just bragging about long tire life (or lots of miles?) in a tongue-in-cheek way.

Shame on you infonaut.

But...still good.

I have to agree on the tire wear. I've had an Avon on my Intruder that looked good every time I looked at it walking up behind the bike. Then suddnly it was in the cords like your's! I think the Venom is deceptive because the way the tread is cut, it looks good because you can't always see the groove that goes all the way across the tire , your mind tells you it's still good. The only safe way to check that tire is inspect it all the way around and check the tire wear indicators.

..............................................................................................

The dealer mounting the new tire asked if I'd been doing burnouts but I explained that I couldn't spin the rear tire on that bike if I tried. ............................................................................................

As for not being able to spin the back tire on a 1st Gen.....:confused24: :confused24: :confused24:

Thanks for that info, and please post some better photo's if you can.

If possible could you cut out a Cross Section, I would like to see how much caseing is left after tread worn off.

I'm in the process of ordering a new set of tires, I think I might go back to the Dunlop Elite III for rear, and Elite II if I can get one.

Couple dealers had info that the Elite II might be available In March.

Can anybody, confirm that on the Elite II Front tire. ??

Thanks.

I would be interested to know the accurate mileage of that tire if you know. Putting Avons on my VR now. Treadless Dunlop 404's coming off have less than 5k on them and very squirrely even in the dry. Not sure how you avoided all the disasters from wet pavement, lack of braking and cornering grip long before that carcass gave out. A tire in that bad of shape gives a lot of warnings before it actually blows. I agree with the others who calling this a hoax as it is difficult to believe one could not realize the condition of the tire, or if did, would be surprised at this outcome. Are you kidding with us?

i have a 150/90/15 avon 0n my voyager,it turn over 18500 mls today,still not down to the wair bars,the voyager takes the same tire as the rstd ,voyager 695lbs dry,1 gen 795 dry,don't know about rstd wait,thank the wait has a lot to do with the milage,i ride single all the time

thats my story and i'm sticking to it

Info, you wont get best rider of the year here. This better be a hoax on your part. Those flat spots are from sliding your rear tire. I wrote two paragraphs scolding you. But erased them. ou are one lucky dude.

By the way the elite 3 will get you 15000 with proper care on a VR.

Bill P

Any idea what caused this? The dealer mounting the new tire asked if I'd been doing burnouts but I explained that I couldn't spin the rear tire on that bike if I tried. He figures it was tread separation caused by a bad tire but I'm not sure that makes sense - especially on an Avon Venon. Any ideas?

Sorry the photo sucks. I'll upload better ones when I get the old tire back tomorrow with the newly mounted one.

Geeze, that's terrible. I've never heard of a Venom failing so soon. I think you need to take this to AVON, and see about getting the rest of your pro-rated warantee.... :whistling:

i have a 150/90/15 avon 0n my voyager,it turn over 18500 mls today,still not down to the wair bars,the voyager takes the same tire as the rstd ,voyager 695lbs dry,1 gen 795 dry,don't know about rstd wait,thank the wait has a lot to do with the milage,i ride single all the time

thats my story and i'm sticking to it

I had 14500 miles on my rear Avon Venom when I changed it and it still was not to the wear bars. Front is still going.

Thats a Massive failure allright----Massive faliure to maintain your bike!! How could you not notice that the tires were that far gone. You must have had no tread on there for a while to wear through to that extent. Bee careful man- Its your life we are talking about. BTW seperation at the bead also indicates under inflation as well.