IGNORED

What kind of performance to expect when pulling a trailer?

etcswjoe

1500 hundred miles into my first trip pulling a trailer and I am really disappointed in the decrease in performance of the bike while pulling. 70 is about the best I can do on the interstate and have to downshift almost every hill. I was expecting some decrease in performance and an increase in stopping distance but not to this degree in power. Gas mileage has only dropped a few MPG.

I am curious if this is normal or maybe I have other issues with the bike?

I haven't notice to much of a decrease in performance with the trailer just stayed in 4th longer. MPG dropped to about 35 on the interstate.

I added the V Max gears this spring Mpg stayed about the same. But the performance was well worth it. Take off with a loaded trailer is a breeze. Only negative I have about it is that it changed at what speed the clutch is a little noise y so I have been learning the sweet spots again.

Trailer of GOLD BARS??? How much does that thing weight? Wifey and I went to MD-2013, 2 Up, Trailer 350lbs and got 39 MPG there and back. Sorry no Major HILLS between Don's and my Place. I AVOIDED the HighWays so no 70mph... more like 55 to 65-ish. Joe losing only a few MPG sounds right... also my tralier looks SCARY when hitting potholes at 70 mph. :080402gudl_prv:

Edited by frogmaster
added

I had the fuel pump go out coming up and we replaced it at MD with the Mr. Gasket so maybe I have a pinched or bent fuel line or the pump is not cutting it. I really have to roll on the throttle going up hills.

Joe, we jammed to and from Md at about 75-80 mph with no issues. My trailer was packed so tight we had to sit on it to close it, chairs and full cooler. I saw your trailer and you didn't have half of what we had in your trailer. We do suffer in gas mileage but she pulls sweet.

Thoughts, pull out and check those bearings. Repack them with fresh grease forcing it through the bearing. new seals then reassemble and seat. I seat mine at about 50 ft#, then back off, retighten by hand until it touches and back castle nut off just until you can get the cotter pin in.

I really think that something is wrong. I would even suspect that you are running on three cylinders. I've pulled my trailer very heavily loaded at the highest altitudes in Colorado and at Interstate speeds in excess of 80 MPH and never felt a need for more power. I've since gone to the VMAX rear end and it is even better now.

Edited by Freebird

1500 hundred miles into my first trip pulling a trailer and I am really disappointed in the decrease in performance of the bike while pulling. 70 is about the best I can do on the interstate and have to downshift almost every hill. I was expecting some decrease in performance and an increase in stopping distance but not to this degree in power. Gas mileage has only dropped a few MPG.

I am curious if this is normal or maybe I have other issues with the bike?

Joe, Shoulda sold me that trailer,,lol.

I just towed my new/used trailer last weekend. No problem with interstate speeds.

Probably did 80, didn't think about it. But, definitely not limited.

Same pulling my HF trailer.

Guest tx2sturgis
at Internet speeds in excess of 80 MPH

And here I thought the internet moved at the speed of light...

:moon:

Guest tx2sturgis
I had the fuel pump go out coming up and we replaced it at MD with the Mr. Gasket so maybe I have a pinched or bent fuel line or the pump is not cutting it. I really have to roll on the throttle going up hills.

Just for grins, in the morning, start the bike, let it idle for a half a minute. Shut it off. Quickly, and I mean QUICKLY, touch all four exhaust pipes right where they come out of the cylinders. (not the pretty chrome heat shields). A trendy little IR gun will also work!

The pipes should all be hot. IF you find one that is cold, there is a problem.

But assuming you have all four pots burning, I would suggest that when cruising the interstates, you drop a gear, or two, and let that engine rev up when you climb a hill with the trailer in tow. Remember, 4th and especially 5th are both overdrive gears on the Royal Stars.

I'm thinking you're only running on 3, also.

I pull my camper, which is 350 empty, plus all of our gear inside, cooler etc..., and have no problems reaching speeds. I DO have to run in 4th more often. My gas mileage with the full load is around 29mpg. That thing is heavy.

I'm pulling a camper trailer which is very wide and does create a wind drag so millage does suffer, but never my speed. I just did a clutch upgrade at MD and the power from a stopped position and changing thru the other gears is much better then it was.

I wish you luck is solving the problem.

I really think that something is wrong. I would even suspect that you are running on three cylinders. I've pulled my trailer very heavily loaded at the highest altitudes in Colorado and at Interstate speeds in excess of 80 MPH and never felt a need for more power. I've since gone to the VMAX rear end and it is even better now.

:sign yeah that: That's my thinking as well....

Just for grins, in the morning, start the bike, let it idle for a half a minute. Shut it off. Quickly, and I mean QUICKLY, touch all four exhaust pipes right where they come out of the cylinders. (not the pretty chrome heat shields). A trendy little IR gun will also work!

The pipes should all be hot. IF you find one that is cold, there is a problem.

But assuming you have all four pots burning, I would suggest that when cruising the interstates, you drop a gear, or two, and let that engine rev up when you climb a hill with the trailer in tow. Remember, 4th and especially 5th are both overdrive gears on the Royal Stars.

This would be my #1 TO DO LIST :detective: :080402gudl_prv: :fingers-crossed-emo

I found with 1800cc's, I eliminated the problem of having to twist the throttle.:whistling::rasberry:

Fuel mileage is a little different (average about 39 mpg without trailer to around 30 with depending on how much junk I place in the trailer.

:twing:

Well today was the first day I did not ride in the rain all day and after 489 miles it did well on the Interstate and in the mountains, just have to figure out which one was not firing now. All warmed up this morning when I fired it up, will pull the plugs when I get home and see if I can tell. Thanks for all the input.

Thought U had a month to get home

Wish I had a month, do not have to be back till Monday. 2307.2 miles so far, clutch started slipping this morning guess I will call Earl when I get home and order a clutch too.