IGNORED

Michelin Commander II Mileage

I need new tires for my Midnight Venture.I've searched for threads on the Commander II and have found a lot of information but I haven't found how many miles people are getting from them.I see a lot of threads on the Avons and E3s where people say "I got xx,xxx miles from them".I can't find the same thing for the Commander IIs.

I always used Dunlop K491 Elite IIs on my Goldwing and loved them.They handled great and wore like iron.Has anyone used them on a Venture? I can get the Commander IIs for about $60 a set cheaper than Elite IIs and $30 cheaper than Elite 3s But I'd rather spend more and get a tire I KNOW I can get the most miles out of.Any information would be appreciated.

Someone with more knowledge can certainly set me straight on this next statement. I believe the commander II are fairly new to venture sizes. I have a set of commanders, not II, on my Vulcan 1500 and LOVE THEM. They hug the turns well, ride smooth and have been road tested in tropical storms 2 up. ( not by choice). Because of that, and unless anyone else has specifics to make me think otherwise, I will try the IIs very soon on my RSV. As for mileage, I got about 12000 miles on them and still run fine. Although in fairness I hadn't been riding a lot a bunch of years ago and that make have saved the tires some.

I too ran a set of the older commanders and liked them. My only complaint was that they were a bit noisy in long sweeping curves. Looking at the tread design of the Commander II, I don't expect that to be an issue.

They still don't offer the Commander II in the OEM size for the front however. They make it in the 130 size which is a bit narrower than the stock 150 size. Some here actually prefer the 130 size and run it in whatever brand they use. I have personally never used the 130 so can't offer an opinion on that.

We installed a 130 Commander II on a RSV at MD and it looked good. I may actually give it a try when I need tires again.

I'm using the C-II on the rear and I like it, but not on the front because the correct size wasn't available. Had a set on the RSTD with the 130 width and I emphatically did NOT like that size tire on the front. Anyhow, I can't give a good review on the mileage because at just barely 4000 miles I picked up a nail in the rear and replaced the tire. Now I'm back up to 5000 and it is wearing slowly and handling nicely...only got 6600 on the D404s that were on it from the dealer.

I run the 130 front tire and had Metzeler 880s on the Venture.I like them but the rear tire just didn't seem to last too long.It gave up on me on my way to California last month and the dealer I stopped at put a D404 on the rear.It handled fine but it is BALD at 4,000 miles.I'd just hate to sink $275 into the Michelins and not get the mileage I would get if I spent $325 and got Elite IIs or E3s.

I have a pair of the C-II mouted up and in service now for aprox 5700 miles. Yea I know it aint much, but I ran across the same delema. Not any threads on the RSV with the C-II on it. So I got to reading threads concerning other heavy touring bikes, namely the HD folks. Good reviews is wht I found so I decided to give them a try. So far I have been very happy with them. Not that I dont think the E-3's I had were bad. They did get noisy at end of milage in corners and some on long runs. I think its just the wear vs tread pattern gets the feather effect. I chose the C-II because of the tread pattern. Here in Fla we get some pretty heavy rain and sometimes days of it. The tread pattern on the C-II was the only one I could find that had tread actually criss cross the center of the tire to "let out" water. The others were essentially a slick in the center. As far as the 130 up front I really dont see any difference one way or the other, but my forks are lowered in the triple tree 3/4".

I have Michelin Commander II on the rear and Dunlop E3 stock size on the front of my RSTD and my RSV.

The combination is just fine.

The tread pattern of the Commander II is more like the Avon Venom and the Dunlop E3.

(not like the older pattern of the earlier Commander)

So, they look good too.

Just looked, I have 9k miles on my RSTD rear and about 14k miles on the RSV.

(I forgot to log the RSV, so guessing, may be more.)

Still have plenty to go.

Mike G.

Been wondering this same thing. For those who know they have X thousand miles on the commander II, how about a tread depth measurement. Can extrapolate and estimate the tire life from that.

Its been a while, but the last time I checked they don't make the Commander II to fit the OE Goldwing front wheel either. Odd Michelin doesn't want to be in the Goldwing market.

Been wondering this same thing. For those who know they have X thousand miles on the commander II, how about a tread depth measurement. Can extrapolate and estimate the tire life from that.

Its been a while, but the last time I checked they don't make the Commander II to fit the OE Goldwing front wheel either. Odd Michelin doesn't want to be in the Goldwing market.

Commander II with almost 10,000 miles 9,876 to be exact. 95% two up at max psi and rode hard still have .115 left at the small end of the tread pattern closes to center of tire. Wearing good for me usually get around 12-14,000 out of rear ME-880 or Commander. No more E-3's for me... :stirthepot:

I have a friend that rides a Road Glide and usually gets 6-8 k out of his back tire. He found a lot of good reviews on the CII millage so he put them on front and back. He has put about 8k on them and they look to be about half done, so he's happy. I put one on the back of my 86 Royale and love it! Unfortunately, as Don said, it's not available for the front. I went back to the E3, and probably should have stuck with the 404. It is a lot cheaper and I've always been happy with it on the front.

Commander II with almost 10,000 miles 9,876 to be exact. 95% two up at max psi and rode hard still have .115 left at the small end of the tread pattern closes to center of tire. Wearing good for me usually get around 12-14,000 out of rear ME-880 or Commander. No more E-3's for me... :stirthepot:

.115= between 3/32 (.094) and 4/32 (.125) left for those of us with stick tread gages. If these tires start with 11/32 you ve worn off 7/32 in 10,000 miles or about 1428 miles per 1/32 of tread depth. If the wear is linear you should be at 13,000 or so when you hit the wear bar (typically 2/32). Not bad. What's your two up weight?

Been ruuning the Dunlop 404's for almost 14 years been getting around 9-10k on my crappy Illinois roads. Just used to them but I always recommend to look at the type of riding you do and your conditions you frequent. Look to see if you need performance or wearability because you usually cannot have both. It is a matter of the tire compound softer compounds give you better handling, harder givers you better wear. Do you ride in wet conditions or dry this determines the tread type. Then look at the manufacturer, I usually go with companies that have been in business for at least a half century over someone who just came on the scene. The old boys are still in business for good reasons.

.115= between 3/32 (.094) and 4/32 (.125) left for those of us with stick tread gages. If these tires start with 11/32 you ve worn off 7/32 in 10,000 miles or about 1428 miles per 1/32 of tread depth. If the wear is linear you should be at 13,000 or so when you hit the wear bar (typically 2/32). Not bad. What's your two up weight?

Weight is in the 380-400 pound range depending on if carrying extra gear etc.

I'm hoping to get the 13-14,000 miles range out of it. We ride all types of weather and average 22-26,000 miles a year on the Venture.

My riding style I get around 3,500-4,000 out of a 404, killed the E3 at around 7,000. There is pictures somewhere on here. :stirthepot:

Weight is in the 380-400 pound range depending on if carrying extra gear etc.

I'm hoping to get the 13-14,000 miles range out of it. We ride all types of weather and average 22-26,000 miles a year on the Venture.

My riding style I get around 3,500-4,000 out of a 404, killed the E3 at around 7,000. There is pictures somewhere on here. :stirthepot:

I believe that you may have a riding style issue. I run Dunlop D404 exclusively and consistently get 10-13 K miles back to front. This is always a concern with mileage on tires, since we all ride differently. Just my 2 cents worth.

:farmer:

I believe that you may have a riding style issue. I run Dunlop D404 exclusively and consistently get 10-13 K miles back to front. This is always a concern with mileage on tires, since we all ride differently. Just my 2 cents worth.

:farmer:

I know I have a riding style issue..:rotf::whistling:

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 09 w/26k and went through two OEM Dunlop rears and one front. When the time came for a new pair I started to research and found very very good comments for Mettzler. I bought a set and put 10k on the set and just replaced this spring. The front had about 25% left but I like the feel of new rubber on both. The rear was bald in the center and still road well. When mounted I paid an extra $8.00 a wheel, tossed the wheel weights and used Dynabeads to balance. Mettzler I feel is the best tire for a large bike, and the ride and smoothness is great. I would reccomend to anyone. I also would suggest going to Mettzler web sight and looking at their recommended air pressures. I run 48/50 rear and 40 front. :080402gudl_prv:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

13600 on my C2 now.Ride and handle great. I'll have to see what the tread depth is later and add it in. I'm using balance beads (generic dyna beads) and cant say I have felt a vibration yet. Speeds from parking lot to well lets say above posted speed limits (in rare instances)

13600 on my C2 now.Ride and handle great. I'll have to see what the tread depth is later and add it in. I'm using balance beads (generic dyna beads) and cant say I have felt a vibration yet. Speeds from parking lot to well lets say above posted speed limits (in rare instances)

Dion,

I didn't log just when I put it on but my first rear Commander II got between 20-22K miles on the rear on my RSV. It still passed inspection in PA when I replaced it.

I will edit this post when I can track down the tread depth from an old post.

Found post on STAR:

Re-looking at the mileage, it is in the 20,000 (miles)neighborhood, with 4/32" left. Dealer said they fail inspection in PA at 2/32.

(They measured my new tire for me at 12/32.) They were impressed with the mileage.

And it was still riding fine, but I was going to pull a trailer on Skyline Drive on my way back to SC and seemed smart to replace it,,,, with another C2.

Got one on my RSTD too, doing fine. Wish they would make the stock front.

(I use either E3 or Venom on the front,,, both are a good match for the C2.)

As for Venoms, which I used for years, I normally get 13-15k miles on the rear.

Mike G

Edited by Mike G in SC

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I am somewhat new to the RSV, two years 20,000 miles. However, I average 15K/yr on my VTX 1300. Most miles on each are fully loaded, high speed, touring miles.

So I will add my 3 cents....

I run 40/40 F&R lbs.

The OEM Dunlop SUCK on both motorcycles. On the RSV, usually heavily loaded and high speed touring I got 5K on stock rear tire, 14000 on E3 rear tire,handling was good. I now have a Commander II on the rear. We'll see. Front tire is an E3 waiting on total mileage, 10K at present, still looks good. I got about 10K out of the OEM front.

On the VTX with 130,000 miles usually heavily loaded, high speed riding Front 11,000 & Rear 8000 on OEM Dunlops. Metzler 888 14000 & 11000, Commander II 18000 & 14000. No E3s.

That said I like the Commander IIs but the E3 was good on the RSV rear and so far the front. I am curious how this CII will last on the rear of my RSV.