IGNORED

CanAm Spyder RT-S

Miles

I need some opinions. I want to ask first: Does anyone on this forum actually own a CanAm Spyder?????

Second: For those that do actually own one, do you own a RT-S, with the SE5 or SM5 transmissions??????

I am trying to decide between the auto trans or the manual trans, and want opinions from those that actually do own one of these.

Please...please...if you do not own a CanAm Spyder, please do not respond to this post.

So, CanAm Spyder owners, give me your opinions, auto trans or manual trans. I am leaning towards the auto trans, but want to know if anyone has experienced a problem with their aut trans.

Yes, I still have many 2 wheeled motorcycles, so I am not giving that up. Yes, I have ridden a CanAm Spyder RT-S, with the SE5 trans, and that is what I used the most during last weekends Sidecar/Trike class.

So, hit me...

:backinmyday:

You really should contact Big Bob on this site. He owned one. Loved it then hated it. Do contact him. He got rid of it and went traditional trike and is one happy camper now.

I was going to say the same thing but in respect to Mile's wishes I did not post (he said to only respond if we OWN one (not owned) ... so that leaves Big Bob out anyway :stickpoke:)

Oh, and here I am, being disrespectful ... :doh: :Laugh:

RESPECT?? I get none of that either.....

I respect you ... heck, anyone who owns so many 1st gen's commands a HUGE amount of respect .... (for his efforts to be better than owning one 2nd gen) :stickpoke:

dang... I've just been disrespectful again! :doh:

TEST RIDE, take it for a test ride and put some miles on the way you will ride, so if you ride 2 up, ride 2 up. . . and in the places you ride. Then you should make a decision.

Thanks, but...that is not going to tell me what I want to know, unless they alloow me to test ride the Spyder for 100,000 miles.

I want to know if there are any inherent problems that Spyder owners have had with either trans. I have read the Spyder forums, but I want to hear from people on this forum, that own a Spyder. I have done the test ride, but I need more info.

Guest tx2sturgis

Maybe a Spyder forum would be more helpful...I'm sure you've googled something up by now.

I took a couple of the Spyders for demo rides in years past, and I LOVED the semi-automatic shifting...but I have no idea if its a long-lived piece.

I didnt like the way they tend to wander and need constant steering input to stay in the lane, and no way to stretch your legs out, and the fact that 3 computers keep it safe and driveable, and if one craps out, it goes into 'limp home' mode, and in 10 years, will you be able to replace one of those if it dies?

Oh yes, ...I wanted to like them, but ended up NOT liking them...but maybe your perception of them will be way different.

:happy34:

Brian, I may be in the same boat, when it comes to liking them, wanting to buy one or two of them, but in the long run, finding out enough info that dissuades me from making the purchase.

I have been to the forums for Spyders. I do know all about the problems with the new 2013 models...alignments and ball joints. My biggest concern was the decision of an auto or manual.

At this moment, the bloom may be off the rose.:depressed:

Miles, I don't know how tall you are but that is a major factor in my opinion. I took a short ride on one a few years ago and really thought I wanted one. Then at our International Rally last summer, Pioneer Motorsports was kind enough to let me take one on one of our day rides. I tell you, I couldn't wait to get off that thing after a couple of hours. I am tall with a long inseam. There was just no way for me to get comfortable on that thing. My back and shoulders hurt so bad that I wanted to just get off and walk home. Heck, I finally asked my wife if she wanted to try it and I road back on the passenger seat. :)

I had a dealer tell me right up front that I was not going to be happy with it due to my height. He said that Can Am was aware of the issue with tall riders and there was talk about a new model to address that issue but that was a couple of years ago and I've heard no more about it. There are some highway bars on the market but they really don't address the issue.

Last year, I took one for a ride in Charleston, Sc.. My wife and I got on it, and pulled out of the dealers parking lot and down the on ramp we went onto the interstate.. As I got up to 65 MPH, I realized I was fighting to keep the thing going straight..I could not take my hands of the grips for it would wobble back and forth sideways..I slowed down to 45 mph and rode it to the very first exit..got off the interstate and took a back road that ran parrellel to the interstate and couldnt get back to the dealer fast enough. My wife held on to me the whole ride and she wanted off that thing as bad as I did. I told the sales person how it wobbled and he said that is thier nature...I said you can keep it, Im very happy with my wing. I will never ride another one.

Miles, I don't know how tall you are but that is a major factor in my opinion. I took a short ride on one a few years ago and really thought I wanted one. Then at our International Rally last summer, Pioneer Motorsports was kind enough to let me take one on one of our day rides. I tell you, I couldn't wait to get off that thing after a couple of hours. I am tall with a long inseam. There was just no way for me to get comfortable on that thing. My back and shoulders hurt so bad that I wanted to just get off and walk home. Heck, I finally asked my wife if she wanted to try it and I road back on the passenger seat. :)

I had a dealer tell me right up front that I was not going to be happy with it due to my height. He said that Can Am was aware of the issue with tall riders and there was talk about a new model to address that issue but that was a couple of years ago and I've heard no more about it. There are some highway bars on the market but they really don't address the issue.

Ditto on what Don's said. I sat on Big Bob's while in Cody a couple of years ago and it didn't even take a day ride to decide it wasn't for me. Heck I could barely get off the thing....

Maybe a Spyder forum would be more helpful...I'm sure you've googled something up by now.

Problem with going to a forum "for" the bike is the opinions are all slanted "for" the bike. Like buying electronics and reading purchaser's reviews - people justify what they bought.

I'm sure there are people on the Wing or HD site that went there from the Venture and say their new bike is better. Hard to get an open opinion other than reading the "problems" posted for each brand/model.

Guest tx2sturgis
Problem with going to a forum "for" the bike is the opinions are all slanted "for" the bike..

True, but I was actually referring to the longevity of the semi-auto transmission versus the manual...I figure there would be some consensus on a Spyder forum about which seems to last longer with fewer issues.

Thanks for this thread.

I've been seriously considering a Spyder.

I currently have a Voyager attached to my 2nd Gen and like the 'stance'.

After reading the above - given I'm 6'4" - I consider being talked out of it.

Your post was the clincher Don.

Yep, he road home in the b#@ch seat and we have the pictures to prove it!:rotfl: But ceriously, Me and RR tried one last year and couldn't wait to get off of it.

So...:whistling:...here is what we have decided to do. We found a company in the Portland, OR. area that rents these Can Am Spyders, and we are going to rent a couple of them for 24 hours, and then decide if we can eliminate them from our list...or if they are still on our list...of must have vehicles. If we spend 600 miles on them, return them within 24 hours, and get a good feeling for them, then we "may" buy one or two. It "may" work for my wife, but not work for me, and then we can decide. Remember, she rides her own, so just because it doesn't work for me, doesn't mean she won't get one.

:cool10::detective::cool10::detective::cool10::detective:

Guest tx2sturgis

I rode with a friend to Lubbock over the weekend, and among the stops we made, Family Powersports was on the list. They had the Victory Demo Fleet available for rides...(but, I KNOW better) :p

I had Kathy sit on this nice white Can-Am Spyder RT....we both agree they LOOK cool...they draw you in. (and yes, her cleavage was a bit sunburned!)

Anyway...not very helpful I know...but here is the picture anyway.