IGNORED

2nd Gen - changing the fuel filter

XV1100SE

Changed my fuel filter today after reading posts about how to do it. Didn't see any pictures in previous discussions so for those that like pictures to follow when you do yours, here you go.

1) turn off fuel petcock - IMPORTANT !!

2) remove drivers seat

3) drivers seat off, view of fuel filter from above (picture 1)

4) remove screw to loosen front cover (picture 2)

5) remove side covers from both sides (picture 3)

6) pull tubes out from holders on front cover (picture 4)

7) remove bolts front left and right side of front cover (picture 5 and 6)

8) remove front cover. There is a tab on the top of the side cover so move top of front cover towards front of bike then push from right side of bike and remove from left side

9) fuel filter is visible (picture 7)

10) lift up on item pointed to in yellow in picture 8. It slides over the tab shown in picture 9

11) from above, using needle nose pliers squeeze clip holding fuel line to filter and lift up on fuel line to disconnect

12) from above, push down on fuel filter to slide it out of holder

13) from left side of bike, pull fuel filter down and clear of tubes. Note fuel filter orientation (picture 10)

14) the filter on the right has 37,000 km. The new filter is on the left (picture 11).

NOTE : there will be gas in the fuel line and filter. Pour the gas out by tipping the fuel filter into a container BEFORE disconnecting the fuel line

Use pliers to squeeze the clip holding the fuel line and remove the old filter. Put the new filter (Yamaha filter shown) in the same orientation

15) reverse steps to reassemble

NOTE : when putting front cover back on remember that there is a tab on the top/center that goes between screw hole and bracket

Edited by XV1100SE

I just remove seat and change mine as I ripped all of that out behind the side cover, what a lousy place for a fuel filter, my new one is clear and I can change the filters inside of it. works great :-)

YES Pictures are worth a thousand words, please post them.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Very good post and I like how you did the instructions.

I know that there are many different types of fuel filters

that work on the 1st gen's and we have a post on them

in the 1st Gen section.

But is there a list of alternative one's for the 2nd Gen that someone has put

together. I know the one Yamaha sells is a little pricey.

2wheelsforme you mention a alternative you picked up at a auto store but did not

give a part number or the type vehicle it was for. Need more info.........Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: Does anyone know just how pricey the OEM fuel filter is? Just wondering. Thanks to everyone on this helpful post. After riding yesterday I began the process. I now agree the location of the filter in not very accesssible. I understand why some members have relocated their filters. I may do so also. Thanks in advance.:)

Edited by Phoneman1981
Miss Spelled Word.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I guess I throwed it away after I changed fuel pump sorry.

But the microgard # 33011 will cross over to a wix number or napa brand I'm thinking it's the same number just one has a letter or number short. But any parts house can cross it over for you.

Thanks Playboy! That's what I came up with with cross referencing the O'Reilly fuel filter link but I wanted to make sure.

The Wix and O'Reilly # is 33011, NAPA # is 3011, AutoZone # is FF3403DL, and the Fram # is G7144.

• 6 years later...
Changed my fuel filter today after reading posts about how to do it. Didn't see any pictures in previous discussions so for those that like pictures to follow when you do yours, here you go.

1) turn off fuel petcock - IMPORTANT !!

2) remove drivers seat

3) drivers seat off, view of fuel filter from above (picture 1)

4) remove screw to loosen front cover (picture 2)

5) remove side covers from both sides (picture 3)

6) pull tubes out from holders on front cover (picture 4)

7) remove bolts front left and right side of front cover (picture 5 and 6)

8) remove front cover. There is a tab on the top of the side cover so move top of front cover towards front of bike then push from right side of bike and remove from left side

9) fuel filter is visible (picture 7)

10) lift up on item pointed to in yellow in picture 8. It slides over the tab shown in picture 9

11) from above, using needle nose pliers squeeze clip holding fuel line to filter and lift up on fuel line to disconnect

12) from above, push down on fuel filter to slide it out of holder

13) from left side of bike, pull fuel filter down and clear of tubes. Note fuel filter orientation (picture 10)

14) the filter on the right has 37,000 km. The new filter is on the left (picture 11).

NOTE : there will be gas in the fuel line and filter. Pour the gas out by tipping the fuel filter into a container BEFORE disconnecting the fuel line

Use pliers to squeeze the clip holding the fuel line and remove the old filter. Put the new filter (Yamaha filter shown) in the same orientation

15) reverse steps to reassemble

NOTE : when putting front cover back on remember that there is a tab on the top/center that goes between screw hole and bracket

Where do I view the pictures?