IGNORED

What type of headset do you like

Dale124

Hi guys. I've been thinking about buying the Yamaha headset to make use of the intercom system, etc, but wondered if there is a better option out there. For those of you with headsets, what type did you get, and how are they?

Thanks,

Dale.

A lot of folks like the Sierra, sold at http://www.sierra-mc.com/ others like myself like the

J & M, find a couple of members who have them and do a comparison. J & M is also sold at SIerra.

Hi guys. I've been thinking about buying the Yamaha headset to make use of the intercom system, etc, but wondered if there is a better option out there. For those of you with headsets, what type did you get, and how are they?

Thanks,

Dale.

I have the J&M set. I like it alright, but I have the base model and for music through the helmet speakers, it leaves a little to be desired. For talking and listening to your passenger/ cb radio the base model is fine.:080402gudl_prv:

I like the Scala better...but the set I have doesn't let me listen to the radio on headset. Perhaps when the Q4, or whatever that latest model designation is, comes down some in price or goes on sale I'll upgrade. Meanwhile, I also have a set of the Yamaha headsets which I don't like as well, mostly because of the "leash". I'd sell them very reasonably if you're interested.

I have had the sierra before and did not care for those. I bought J&M from them in Sturgis got a good deal and they installed them. I think they are the middle of the road set. I do like them much better than sierra, mics are more clear and music more crisp. I have also hear EdSets (http://www.edsets.com/) are real good but haven't tried. I may try them if these die one day. Good luck and do over pay.

We have the IMC half helmet / helmet less headsets. We like them pretty well, but our group unanimously agrees, that after a day of riding with glasses (helmet or no helmet) they tend to make our heads sore, just above the ears. Not unbearable just ready to get them off at the end of the day. I don't know if the J&M are any better or not.

Not to hyjack or change the subject, but I have been working on a different solution to the headset topic for a bit. My group has asked if I could build something different and more comfortable. Initial testing is working very well at this point and I believe I'm on to something. I was actually thinking about posting a thread of my own (and still will later) to see if anyone's interested in a different option.....just not quite ready yet.

:detective:

Creole

I like the Scala better...but the set I have doesn't let me listen to the radio on headset. Perhaps when the Q4, or whatever that latest model designation is, comes down some in price or goes on sale I'll upgrade. Meanwhile, I also have a set of the Yamaha headsets which I don't like as well, mostly because of the "leash". I'd sell them very reasonably if you're interested.

How much would you want for the Yamaha ones, and what is their condition?

They are nearly new, although they have been mounted in a pair of helmets since last May. We only rode together a little last year, because I had surgery on my elbow & hand, and by the time I could ride it was too hot-then-too-cold for my wife. Plus, I bought Shoei helmets last fall and now the others just sit because they just don't compare anymore. Actually, they're all just sitting right now because stinkin doc cut my other elbow 1 Feb...still telling me to stay off the bike. I gotta listen...hurts too much not to.

These are listed as for full-face, and I have the original packing as shipped from Yamaha, minus the velcro for installing them. I would sell both for $200 U.S. Plus shipping. Not likely I'm going to use them since I have the Scala stuff mounted in our good helmets.

I think what you'd like might depend a lot on your helmet.

We use the bottom end J&M in our full face helmets and are very happy with them. I don't know whether its cousin in a half helmet would work well or not.

BTW, helmet type will effect your decision. Most full face headsets won't work in a half or 3/4, and the ones for a half or 3/4 typically won't work in a full face.

One thing I will say about the low end J&M for full face: The microphone is large. I've installed ours in four different helmets and finding a spot in the chin bar thick enough to bury them can be a challenge. That's especially true in the better helmets that have vents running through the chin bar.

I have tried numerous headsets with the aim of getting good quality sound while listening to music. I have not yet tried one that has good sound quality for music. Can´t understand why they can´t make a good one like the small one my wife uses when she is jogging with her MP3 player. Excellent sound quality in these headphones and they would definately fit in a helmet. They were expensive but worth every penny. Is this because of the original amplifier in the Venture being to small or why in the world is this so lousy. Can anybody point out a good quality headphone system for the helmet that allows intercom, telephone, GPS and excellent music quality ?? Wireless or cord - makes no difference for me.

I have been using N-com for the past years (wireless) but I never use it for music. It is simply useless for that purpose in my eyes. Loaded some songs into the GPS and,,,,not very nice. Note that I have tried systems with cord as well but never been happy with the quality.

O.K. My demands might be a little high but with all this technology this must be available somewhere. I even have thought about getting one of these Stereo/speaker geeks in Iceland to build me something but haven´t gone there yet.

So,,,,,what is the far best headset for music quality regardless of price, wireless or with a cord ??

I have tried numerous headsets with the aim of getting good quality sound while listening to music. I have not yet tried one that has good sound quality for music. Can´t understand why they can´t make a good one like the small one my wife uses when she is jogging with her MP3 player. Excellent sound quality in these headphones and they would definately fit in a helmet. They were expensive but worth every penny. Is this because of the original amplifier in the Venture being to small or why in the world is this so lousy. Can anybody point out a good quality headphone system for the helmet that allows intercom, telephone, GPS and excellent music quality ?? Wireless or cord - makes no difference for me.

I have been using N-com for the past years (wireless) but I never use it for music. It is simply useless for that purpose in my eyes. Loaded some songs into the GPS and,,,,not very nice. Note that I have tried systems with cord as well but never been happy with the quality.

O.K. My demands might be a little high but with all this technology this must be available somewhere. I even have thought about getting one of these Stereo/speaker geeks in Iceland to build me something but haven´t gone there yet.

So,,,,,what is the far best headset for music quality regardless of price, wireless or with a cord ??

J&M Elite

Just purchased a 2000 RSV MM #733/1500. My wife and I are new riders and have 1/2 helmets. We will be using them on trips and sometimes without in the city. So if anyone has upgraded to bluetooth and is looking to get ride of the wired set please contact us. We haven't been married that long to each other so we still like to talk to each other.

Steve & Dawn Taskay

ditchdoctor@charter.net

2000 RSV MM #733/1500

I purchased J&M components several years ago when we got into group riding. I went with the higher end microphones as we have 1/2 helmets and I matched the boom of the mics to accomodate that. We dont use earphones, so I didn't purchase them. I wanted a good clear voice coming over the CB when I used it leading or riding in groups. I had many people ask me what kind I had because it came through very clear and they had no trouble distingushing what I had said. I have heard cheaper ones over the CB and you can't understand a word of whats said. I will stick with J&M until they give me a reason not to....

:2cents:

I have to agree with Don on the edsets. While not perfect, they are not to bad, better than any thing I have tried for m/c headsets. The music is pretty good just needs a little more bass. And the mic is far better as well than the standard j&m mics.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on my 2nd set of J&M's in 3/4 helmets with 2 different Ventures, I also bought a set of IMC helmetless from Playboy last Fall. Going on a ride Saturday and it'll be the first time for a long ride test of the IMC's, but I like my option of wearing a half helmet. The set of J&M's have a HUGE mic and windsock compared to the first set I had. If you go the helmetless route you'll need a clip of some sort to help with the weight of the patch cord so it doesn't pull down on them. I did that on a short ride and it seemed to help with the ear rub.

I had posted somewhere else on this fourm about help with the cords wipping and pulling. I use the clip for ID badges. They are like less than .50c.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4581313762427562&pid=15.1

I wear a Nolan Modular helmet so stick with their Bluetooth N-Comm head set. Not cheap, but shoping eBay helps with the pain...:mo money: I like the set up as I can Bluetooth to my cell phone and GPS, and also hardwire to the bikes system with their media cable for the CB. I can't think of anything else I'd need???

• 2 weeks later...

After 70,000 miles on my old bike, my wife finally agreed to Bluetooth Sena SMH10 and she now admits we should have had an intercom a long time ago. The Sena works great with my scorpion modular 900 full face, I just have to be aware to put the mike in a certain place to close the lid, then move it to where I want it for the ride. Only takes a second and worth the cost savings over J&M for my helmet. Sound quality on intercom is excellent on the RSV even in the wind. Wife has an openface with 3/4 bubble shield. I hear the wind noise so if we are not talking I just turn down my volume. Bluetooth music is to only one headset at a time and it connect to my iphone with no issues. They have an adapter that will bluetooth from the RSV connector to both headsets- and allow bluetooth music to both headsets - unit costs about $140 ( more) just for this sending unit. I am pleased with the Sena SMH10.

VentureFar...