IGNORED

Another gun discussion.

dwatson636

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personnally, I like the .40, wife likes her .357 mag. So like most have said, if the gun fits you and you are comfortable shooting what caliber you choose, then go with it.

Here are a couple of sites, very informative and like here people are all over the map in caliber and model. But that is what makes it interesting. Just like the old geezers 1st gen bike vs the whipper snapper 2nd gen. :whistling:

http://www.xdtalk.com/

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/forum.php

At the risk of raising the ire of some members of this forum (or even of being shot!) I wonder why gun discussions are permitted on this Motorcycle Forum? In no way are guns motorcycle related. There must be other places to get this sort of advice. I am absolutely certain that there are many members of VentureRider.org who have strong opinions regarding the obsession of many in USA regarding the "Right to bear arms".

Here's my vote to the moderators to exclude guns as a topic for discussion.

Respectfully...

I've been reading these posts since the first one. Why not? I'm interested in the subject. Over the years here I've read about every post made on all kinds of motorcycles (Yes, the theme of the place), photography, guitars, airplanes, boats, archery, fishing, dogs , cats, insane road trips and yes, even guns. Some of these are popluar subjects with the members here. Some are not everyones cup of tea and some hold no interest to some of the others at all. But they still get discussed and in my view they are all handled in a civil manner. Ok, some fur has been ruffled a few times but nobody died from it.

I guess this is where, and actually the only part of your post that concerned me was your statement, (or even of being shot!)

I'm sorry you see some of us that way. I really am. This crew for the most part is one of the most open minded, reasonable, rational groups I assosicate myself with.

And that's where I'll leave it. But your statement seemed a bit harsh to me.

Mike

I prefer a 9mm single stack for cc. It is agreed that bigger is better, however, if more than 2 or 3 cartridges are needed to quell the impending threat, then you're probably somewhere you shouldn't have been to begin with.

The other calibers are really neat to shoot, own and fondle but sometimes they just don't fit with regard to cc.

For dependable home protection:

.357 magnum revolver

for target shooting and less recoil, use cheaper .38 specials

as this is a heavy weapon it not as good to conceal carry although excellent open carry.

Although I agree that the higher calipers have more stopping power, your hearing is gonna really going to take a beating if you discharge them in a confined area....

Now, a .44 Magnum will stop anything that needs stopped, but will defintely ring your ears at the range without HP. Can't imagine discharging one in a confined area....

Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch!

9mm semi automatic isn't as hard on your hearing and will not travel as far if you miss. ony down side is its not as dependable as a revolver.

Above all else USE FACTORY AMMO for personal protection...

Dang! all this talk about guns is actually making me want to own one...LOL:whistling:

Edited by CaptainJoe

Guest scarylarry

Now, a .44 Magnum will stop anything that needs stopped, but will defintely ring your ears at the range without HP. Can't imagine discharging one in a confined area

Huh????? What did you say, speak louder....:rotf:

Yes for home a 357 would be great...

....Here's my vote to the moderators to exclude guns as a topic for discussion.

Respectfully...

I'm sure many have seen my posts on previously (deleted) threads - I support controls.

However... we've seen threads on many topics regarding what non-motorcycle items to buy - tv's, (waterproof) cell phones, garage construction, angry boyfriends (need an update on this come to think of it). To me, the OP posted a valid question simply asking for opinions on what to buy, not to discuss pro's/con's of guns.

If this comes to a vote.... I see no problem with this thread and doubt the moderators would delete it simply because it is a valid question on what to buy. If we start deleting everything non-motorcycle related, then 1/2 the threads would be gone.

To the OP... nothing wrong with your question and keep us posted on what you buy.

There has been some excellent advice give so far. The best of which is to go and shoot as many different hand guns as you can before making your decision. You will likely find that you prefer a different model or caliber than had originally thought you would.

I used to to a 1911, .45ACP nut. If it wasn't a 1911 it just wasn't worth carrying. My opinion has changed over the years due to reconsidering the threat I'm likely to face and age related degeneration of my body. Today I carry a high capacity 9mm because I feel that I may have to engage multiple attackers, I'm physically slower than I used to be therefore my reloads are slower and I'd rather not need to reload, and because my wrists can no longer tolerate extended practicing, with a .45ACP.

There are no magic calibers, especially in pistols. Decide what role you intend the handgun to fill and then try to shoot as many different models as possible that will fulfill your intended role/purpose.

Guest tx2sturgis
I am looking at handguns. My only question is caliber. .380, 9mm, .45 or .40.

What are peoples preferences and why? I have done most of the other research. I have been looking at Glocks or Sigs. Just not sure which caliber and why.

Thanks

Dave

The best caliber handgun is the one you bought, have the rounds for, and are able to carry easily and shoot well. I would choose a gun style first, (pistol or revolver) then a frame size, (compact, medium, large) then based on cost, capacity, and availability of ammo, by default, you will be choosing the caliber LAST.

For backyard plinking, I think quality is important of course, but you can experiment with off-brand ammo and used guns to your hearts content.

For self-defense, you want a reputable brand, not a cheap gun that you found in a pawn shop.

(This is not my advise to an experienced shooter. Its my advice to a NEW shooter.)

:happy34:

And take some shooting classes or at least get some range time.

Good luck.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Dispite not being motorcycle related, I have enjoyed reading ALL of the responses and opinions of my fellow members. I only own rifles and shotguns, but might consider a handgun in the future. Good information. It is winter most everywhere and I actually like reading posts of all kinds. :)

I appreciate the comments and the civility of the comments regarding my post.

When I think about it further, if we were to restrict postings and questions about weapons, we would also have to restrict questions about computers, trucks, and the host of other topics discussed by the amazing group of people who ride, rode, or want to ride these wonderful motorcycles.

Guest scarylarry

This thread has been nothing but a simple question with good answers, not everything can be MC related in the winter and the day the mods. delete threads like this and impose censorship on civil non-mc related issues, I'm gone I will not be censor on advice or what I would own and no one should...

Guest tx2sturgis

Attention robbers, muggers, and thieves:

Due to the high cost of ammo these days, no 'warning shots' will be fired.

Thanks for your understanding.

:cool17:

I appreciate the comments and the civility of the comments regarding my post.

When I think about it further, if we were to restrict postings and questions about weapons, we would also have to restrict questions about computers, trucks, and the host of other topics discussed by the amazing group of people who ride, rode, or want to ride these wonderful motorcycles.

Well, after all, this is the "Watering Hole" forum. Open for discussion about nearly everything/anything.

Thanks for all the great information. I was unaware that I could try before I buy on firearms. I found a local indoor range close by that for 14 dollars a lane and 20 dollars for rental plus ammo, I can try as many different handguns as I want. So I think I will save my money and spend a Saturday shooting. I haven't shot a handgun since my Navy days. It was a .45 caliber. But I could not tell you the make. I did hit quite a few seagulls though.

I am looking at handguns. My only question is caliber. .380, 9mm, .45 or .40.

What are peoples preferences and why? I have done most of the other research. I have been looking at Glocks or Sigs. Just not sure which caliber and why.

Thanks

Dave

No comparision between Glock and Sig., Sig is the one too buy and keep much safer to handle and operate. I just want too ride my Motorcycle and shoot my Gun and I do just about everyday.

Bill,

You have no idea how weird discussions like these are to me - or anyone else this side of the Atlantic. I wanted to make some joke about it depending on whether you wanted to hold up a small post office, a large bank, assassinate or carjack someone. You just wouldn't have that conversation here unless you were in the army. Farmers might have a shotgun, or reenactors a muzzle-loading black powder musket, but that's about it. If you want to shoot at a target here you use a bow and arrow.

Although I'm sure I'd enjoy having a go if I ever came over to visit, when I see some car driver flipping out with road rage I'm glad that the possibility that they might be armed just does not spring to mind.

I'm not saying you shouldn't chat about it, just saying that it sounds REALLY strange.