IGNORED

New (prospective) Owner

Looks like that one has some upgrades. Front fender chrome/lights, rear light bumper, front disk covers with lights. Looks clean but appears to be missing the rear antenna. Good luck on that one ...if it is as clean as the pictures...she is a beauty. ..Did I mention I love the blue ones...:confused24:

:sun:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke, you sound like a great young ambassador to the world of motorcycles. I'm glad you found us.

I will catch some hell over this, but here goes:

I think that with you being in college ($$$), and the fact that those bikes need a fair amount of TLC, ($$$) and time, and you're a bigger guy...(and friends...I NEVER slam the gen1), but I think its a bad move.

If you have the motivation, ANYTHING is possible, but the bike is gonna need some repairs and attention...AND...at 200 pounds and 6 foot 3, the ergonomics (rider triangle) is not all that great on the gen1 for guys that are tall. You are used to smaller bikes, so it may be a moot point.

Not to mention that the gen1 is a fast bike...and might get you some 'driving awards' ($$$) , and the resultant insurance hikes($$$), which will ALREADY be high for a teenager with a bike of over 1000cc. Thats just the way it is.

I'm not tryin to slay anyones favorite bike, but I think you should find something a bit more 'ready to ride'...so you can enjoy the small amount of decent riding weather in Michigan you're going to have available considering you're in college and that takes up alot of time and money.

You have a LONG motorcycling life ahead of you, and I just hate to see you spend many days or weeks just fixing that older bike. There is plenty of time to wrench later, AFTER college and maybe a career and marriage and kiddos.

If you had stated that the bike has been properly gone thru and everything fixed, or that you are working as a motorcycle mechanic, I might have had a different answer. But still, your a pretty large fellow, and might prefer a bike that has the legroom you need on a motorcycle. AT LEAST, go sit on the bike with the stand down and see if your legs feel right when on the pegs. Test ride the bike if possible. BTW, did I mention insurance rates will be high($$$) for a teenager on an 'over 1000cc' bike?

If you complete the deal, we're here for you. Lots of members here are VERY knowledgeable on the things you need to know to fix it and keep it running.

If you pass on the bike, then we still would like you to stay around and visit, telling us what bike you did end up with.

Anyway, welcome to the group.

Just my 2 cents here.

:2cents:

Oh, PS: You and most all of us on the board apparently suffer from MBD. (Multiple Bike Disorder). There is NO cure. Only 'treatment'....:D

Brian, excellent advise!

Well i looked at the two ventures today. the 87 was MUCH better, the 83 was in less than great shape, lots of corrosion on the engine cases and other parts, Front brake fluid was low and dirty, and clutch fluid was very dirty and almost completely out of the reservoir. and on the right side brake disc was covered in a black fluid mostly dripping out of the caliper (did not want to taste or smell so im assuming DOT fluid) and oil on fork stanchions = a pass. The 87 was in good shape, needs tires soon (good tread but original '87 rubber), a little dirty, mechanically solid, service records, needs some polishing and very minor cosmetic TLC, has a set of kuryakyn footpegs that make the ride comfortable (otherwise very similar riding position to my current virago) The bikes owner will take a look Thursday at my truck and if he gives it the thumbs up I will have my new bike! PS the guy with the goldwing never got back to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well long story short, i was not able to get that blue venture :depressed: the guy didn't want my truck but told me if i could get the cash he would sell me the bike for 1500. I quickly dropped the price of the truck way below what it was worth and sold it (lost my a$$). called the guy a day and a half later as soon as i sold my truck, told him i got the cash and could come pick it up ASAP. He told me he sold it the day before and hung up. So now I have sold my truck and don't have enough to buy a halfway decent bike :bang head:. So Im going to sell some other stuff I have laying around, including my Virago in the spring. and pick something up latter this year. Well thank you everyone for your input. I now know exactly what i am looking for when i see it, a decent MKII. When I pick something up Ill be back around for more help!

Didn't see that! would be just what i am looking for but i have no possible way to get to South Carolina. Its going to be hard enough to get home for X-MAS. And not that i don't trust people selling me stuff but i don't trust people selling me stuff so i would want to check it out in person.

Bike looks good in the pictures. I see the guy selling has only been a member since March of this year.

If you can't make it to S.C... could ask another member to check it out for you. ectswjoe, Mike G in SC, Sleeperhawk... are in S.C.. Not volunteering them but I wouldn't doubt they'd be willing to check it out for you. They might be able to tell you what it is worth and if it is a good buy. Be simple enough to transfer ownership without going there and money transfer gets you the bike.

Hope this helps !

• 3 weeks later...

IM BAAAACK! I am about to finish up my semester at collage tomorrow, so i will be home and i have 2 more ventures I am trying to set up looking at this weekend. The one is a 1990 Royale with 34k, he is asking $3500 OBO (will need to knock that down to something I can afford) and the other is a 1986 Royale with 33k, asking $2300. I have yet to see a picture of either bike. My question is this, and I am sure it is answered a million times but i cant find it, does the 1986 model have the 2nd gear problem? I saw that "the 2nd gear problem was fixed AFTER 1986" does that include the 1986 models or not? I am assuming it was fixed when the 1300 engine was produced but you know what they say when you assume.

Tough call!

Personally, (since I have a '90) I would opt for the 1990. About the only thing different between the two besides the '90 being better looking, is that the trunk modification to prevent cracking in the base and behind the passenger backrest will have been done by 1990 by the factory, whereas the '86 would or should have the mods done by the dealer. Technically, the major difference between the two deals with the number of pickup coils. The '90 has but one to fail (more reliability).

Any accessories on either? If you want farkle for these old birds, it'll cost you. All accessories for the '86 will fit the '90 and vice versa.

Looked at both bikes today. And i put some cash down on the 1986! We settled at 2 grand. I take delivery Wednesday!!!!:mytruck1: Its in very nice shape, it needs tires and I want to re-work the brakes (possible R6 calipers, SS lines, de-link them), Im sure there is also a lot of small stuff i will need to do, battery, cleaning, throttle cables, sea foam, plugs. I dont have any pictures of the bike yet, It is a gold & sliver, good chrome and paint, 1 small crack on the right upper fairing by the CB. If anyone has any questions about the bike let me know, otherwise I will update when I get the bike home. Also can anyone tell me if the steering bearings are loose ball or tapered roller bearings (I might want to upgrade them)?

Luke,

If it's gold and silver, and it's an '86, it's been repainted. The 2 stock colors in '86 were a 2 tone brown and a 2 tone black and gold. It sounds like a decent deal if all the plastic is in good shape. You have a lot of support there in Michigan as far as members being able to help you out with any repairs and such. Make sure you go ahead and do a basic tune up, plugs, wires, caps and a fuel filter. Flush and bleed all the brake and clutch lines with fresh brake fluid....looking forward to seeing the pics :thumbsup2:

Luke,

If it's gold and silver, and it's an '86, it's been repainted. The 2 stock colors in '86 were a 2 tone brown and a 2 tone black and gold. It sounds like a decent deal if all the plastic is in good shape. You have a lot of support there in Michigan as far as members being able to help you out with any repairs and such. Make sure you go ahead and do a basic tune up, plugs, wires, caps and a fuel filter. Flush and bleed all the brake and clutch lines with fresh brake fluid....looking forward to seeing the pics :thumbsup2:

My bad, it is the 2 tone brown.:whistling: And so starts the process of not being able to sleep at night until I pick it up! (Every time I get a bike this happens)