IGNORED

Need nerd help!

Trader

I have Win Vista Home Premium installed on my PC which is a Acer Aspire M5200.

It says I have Phenom™ 9550 quad core processor

2.2 Ghz

64 bit

I use Google Chrome mostly but also have IE 9.0.3 64 bit edition

Here's the problems I'm having.

Lately it wants to "Scandisk" about every 2nd or 3rd time I boot up.

PLUS, I believe this is a 2nd unrelated issue.....windows update tries to update but fails everytime...then has to undo and reset and it sometimes takes me 15 min just to turn the darn thing on!!!!!

Any suggestions?

PLUS, I believe this is a 2nd unrelated issue.....windows update tries to update but fails everytime...then has to undo and reset and it sometimes takes me 15 min just to turn the darn thing on!!!!! Any suggestions?

The problems ARE related. The update fails causing it to check the drive hunting for the reason update failed. Fix the update problem and other problem will go away. Now, what message do you get when update fails?

Microsoft may want to auto update something too old which it no longer supports and this could be causing your update failure such as an outdated office version. Mine does it all the time but I don't use automatic updates and so each time it comes up I just cancel it.

Open My Computer, Right click on the "C:\" drive select "Properties" then select the "Tools" tab then click on "Check now" select both check boxes click start. It will ask if you want to run on the next reboot select "yes" and reboot. This is going to take a while so let it run and it will reboot at least once by it's self. After that completes try doing the updates. Sound like you "may" have a bad spot or some crossed linked files on the drive causing the error which Check disk will either fix or mark as bad so they don't get used. Another thing when the check disk finishes follow the same steps but select "De-fragment Now" this will also help clear any crossed linked files. And yes Vista and Windows 7 are suppose to do automatic defrags but if the system is shut down or on for limited times or has been powered off without a proper shutdown too many times it will never run.