IGNORED

Rode a Vulcan Voyager today

rickardracing

Took a Vulcan Voyager 1700 out for ride at Detroit Bike Week today. VERY nice bike. I think it blows the Venture away in handling and ride. Real nice dash. Gobs of power. Man when you bang second gear, yikes, she takes off. Makes me think about a new bike.

Just looked at that model Saturday while waiting for service. I was thinking it would be high on the list if I ever want to replace the RSV.

I looked at one at the local dealer Saturday while waiting for parts. Very sharp bike...and they mounted the fairing correctly too :)

The plain Vulcan with the hard bags looked pretty sharp as well.

Guest scarylarry
if you all ride two up make sure you have them with you. Every passenger that rides on them says they have no room and arent as comfortable. I have ridden and them and they do ride good.

This is very true....Your passenger needs to be bulimic cause there is no room..

I will say think long a hard before you give up the RSV for Voyager, I never regretted buying mine but then again I ride solo and if I do ride 2 up I always take the RSV..

2nd gear and all the way to 6th gear has a ton of power, but Kaw like Yammy miss the boat on a few things..

I read 2 magazine tests month back. The Voyager actually has less HP...approx. 70 at the rear. The RSV has 76+rwhp. The Voyager has more torque by a small amount. I'll have to dig thru a pile of mags to find that test again. So actually I think you are just feeling the..."new- different" aspect plus "6 gears" rather than 5.

Guest scarylarry

The engines do like RPM's though they run better around 3k+ and will 80+ mph before you know it..

The fix faring does taking some getting use too..

Actually if I was to gete the anything new it would be the Vaquero Special Edition. That candy lime green rocks. The bike definately handles way better than the RSV. I have too much invested in my RSV to get rid of it, but for a second bike, the Vaquero would be in the garage next to it.

Guest scarylarry

The black one rocks....:cool10::cool10:

That or a CVO will be my next bike..

If they need to go on and add passing lamps where the vents are that the only thing I saw wrong with it..

Edited by scarylarry

Yup on the heat. I have been a few conversations with guys that have them. They like thebikes well wnough but the heat is killing them, especially this summer so far. Not much passenger room is also true from what I have been told, and the heat was so bad on the passengers right leg one guy I was talking to at a Victory demo ride was looking at trading his like 3 month old one in on a Cross Country because his wife said she wasnt going to ride on it anymore. Kawi has tried to "fix" the heat issues but nobody I have talked with says it is fixed. Some say slightly better but still hot. The Cross Country I rode had the best way to cure that with the factory lowers you could adjust vents to move the aire around.

Guest scarylarry

The 2010 models was a cooker from the guys I talked to and in 2011 they address the problem SOME but not as much as 2012..

My 2011 felt good to me in Florida in May, June and July..

2012 Kaw added a heat management system which is no more than a fan under the rider butt that blows down the hot air...

I have not heard many people say yea or nea on the 2012..

Eileen and I took a 2012 for a little ride while at the International. I liked it a lot. I probably didn't ride it enough to really comment on the heat issue but it was warmed up from just returning from a test ride and we probably rode it about 20 miles and I was not bothered by any heat. I've also heard similar complaints about the RSV though and have never been bothered by it either.

Overall, I was impressed with the bike. If I were in the market and was looking at something other than the RSV, it would be high on my list. I would want to test ride a Victory Cross Country Tour first but it would have to be fantastic to justify the additional price.

I found the Voyager to be extremely comfortable. Probably the only bike I've been on that compared to my RSV in that regard. Eileen liked it also and didn't complain at all about not having enough room. I found that it handled exceptionally well in the curves. I think it had the edge on the RSV in that category. Gearing is VERY high in my opinion. It has enough torque to make it work but I swear you wouldn't need 6th gear below 85 MPH. Take that with a grain of salt because I'm used to my RSV with the VMAX rear end.

I felt that when I opened the trunk, the plastic felt a bit flimsy. Maybe it would hold up just fine but I did notice it and it bothered me just a bit.

Dash, controls, etc. were excellent. I felt that the price was very good for all that you get but remember you have to add about $1,000.00 to that if you want the CB, Intercom, etc. It does not come standard. Even at that, it is thousands cheaper than the Victory or a Harley.

It does have adjustable vents in the lowers. I had them open so maybe that helps with the heat. Like I said, I really wasn't aware of any excess heat on my short ride.

Bottom line. I liked it a lot and it would be on my short list were I in the market. In fact, I may have come home with it if I had any money. :confused24:

Guest scarylarry

Don,

Your right the trunk is flimsy, I do think there is more room in it and Kaw does not make a luggage rack for the lid but the RSV rack fits and looks great some have used a GW rack I personally didn't like it..

The lower vents if they help on th heat I can't say one way or the other, I can say close them when it is raining trust me on that.

I think the RSV handles better in the curves than the Voyager, seems the RSV has a lower center point...

Eileen is the first I have heard say it is comfortable, a friend of mine took his wife out on my RSV one day, keep in mind we was gone all day to at the end of the day she wouldn't get off my bike...:rotf::rotf:

He didn't have any issues but she notice a big difference...

As for 6th gear I don't use it till about 70 and on the interstate then..

I love the bike and it is a blast to ride but comparing the RSV to the VV is almost dead lead race..

New RSV will be out this year so we will see..

I would be completely SHOCKED if there is a new Venture for '13. I will even be surprised if there is a Venture at all. I honestly didn't expect to see one for '12. I know that Yamaha is not holding their annual dealers meeting this year. That leads me to believe that there are no new major announcements coming.

You know? How can a company be more out of touch with their customers wants and needs? It's no big secret that for years Yamaha fans have been anxiously waiting for the next upgrade for their beloved Venture. It's ridiculous!

Yamaha continues to sit around and sit around and basically give the middle finger and ignore the voices of their loyal customers. They stopped making the RSTD last year, and that's fine with me, but what do they do to give buyers a solid choice in that bagger segment? They throw a last minute looking fairing on a freaking Stratoliner and once again try to blow smoke up Yamaha fans skirts to convince them that they have something new to offer. Didn't even bother to offer a cruise control like all other viable bagger competitiors are offering on their bikes.

You can't tell me they don't know what they are doing. They absolutely would not have to rebuild the Venture to satisfy anxious fans, they only have to tweak it a little with the upgrades we have all spoken of numerous times in the forums. Just this tweaking would create a mass move of purchases for them. How can a company have such a unique edge on their competition like having one of the best motors to have ever been strapped to the frame of a touring bike, and not take advantage of it? Every company that is in business is constantly looking for an edge, or niche that will make them different than the competition. Yamaha has that with the V4, and it's very obvious they could care less.

I love my RSTD, but I have serious thoughts of buying a full dresser. I have waited for 3 years now for Yamaha to upgrade the Venture because I really want to stay with A. the V4, and B. liquid cooled. Looks like they don't care enough about their customers needs for me to keep giving the Venture a consideration.

Okay, now somebody say something to get me off of this ledge I'm standing on. Lol.

If what I was told holds true, some will like and some want but that is the it is with everything..

I just we he had a picture when we talk and he didn't or so he said..

I do believe he didn't have one since his luggage was right there..

Can you translate the first 2 lines for us Yankees? :confused07: :Bunny:

No complete redesign needed. Update the fairing a little bit, ADD GUAGES, ditch the cassette and the cd player, add ABS and fuel injection. Maybe a sixth gear? Do SOMETHING about the clutch chirp. Not everyone would be happy, some will find faults as with some of the comments about the Voyager. No bike is perfect for everyone. Example, I love the looks of the Vaquero, exept for the side opening bags. I think side opening bags are stupid. BUT!!!!, when my bike is all paid for, I may buy one as a second bike. They don't bother me enough to not buy one. I talked to a Yamaha rep two years ago. He said that they do monitor the forums, especially this one. I really do not think you will ever see a 3rd Gen. I would not hold my breath. And if they do offer one, will it be priced competitely? Right now a new 2nd Gen is just over 20K. The Voyager I rode with an intercom and cb was at 18K.