IGNORED

Do you...

b2dad

Do you trust your GPS?

When you are on UNFAMILIAR roads...do you trust the directions your GPS gives you?

Ours has been wrong a time or two...and yesterday, coming thru Louisville, KY, we detoured for lunch...and when we left the restaurant, the GPS was not taking us back the way we came...so I tried to redirect Don back and got CONFUSED due to the fact that a couple different highways intersect in Louisville...

Anyway...we lost 1 hr driving time, got held up due to an accident on the hwy...and should have trusted the dang GPS the first time. oh well...live and learn I guess.

BTW: Don has a Zumo 660

I trust the gps on my phone but don't always listen to it, it will send you off the highway sometimes onto a back road. I finally figured out that it was directing us around an accident. I do find the gps on my phone to be more accurate than my stand alone unit.

For the most part yes. I have been on a route and it tell me to "turn right on barn hill road". Well looking ahead you can see its a dirt road or path up to some guys barn. Looking @ the GPS map its a winding road and comes back around, and the GPS was just thinking that road was a short cut. I tend to use a amp program (TYRE) to "build" a route for most of my trips and it will give you some goofy roads if your not careful.

I really like my gps and I use it a lot especially to find an address I am not familiar with. But when going on a trip I always verify my route with a map. When I am on the bike I am not fond of 200 miles on a soft gravel road even if it is a shorter distance. But if it is there the gps will find it.

Mike

That's why they have built in: U-turns and recalculating. But hey! we're on our bike and we never get lost, just sometimes take a more scenic road.

Built in u-turns ???

Is that the new story your sticking to????

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I really like my gps and I use it a lot especially to find an address I am not familiar with. But when going on a trip I always verify my route with a map. When I am on the bike I am not fond of 200 miles on a soft gravel road even if it is a shorter distance. But if it is there the gps will find it.

On the garmin zumo 660 there is an avoidance feature you can enable or disable . If you enable it and check the box beside unpaved roads you sould be ok.

My issue with GPS is I was part of the testing back when it first came out and there are significant limitations and it is still a military system with an aging infrastructure plus half the fun is just getting lost. I always have a map backup.

I trust mine. It may take me in an indirect route but when I am on the bike "it isn't about the destination, it is about the journey getting there". But I sometimes do wonder what the hell "she" (GPS speaks in female voice) is doing and thinking LOL.

Ride Safe

I trust mine. Sometimes (if I know the area) it may take me a way I would not have taken on my own but the end result is that it gets me where I want to go pretty much every time. I did learn a new thing about it at the International. IF I follow someone and save the trip. I then have that route so I can go back and follow it again. Nice feature and I use it once in awhile. What I just found out though is that you HAVE to stay on the route. There are no waypoints when you do this so it CANNOT recalculate.

Do you trust your GPS?

"I'm never lost as long as I have gas in the tank" -lol

Getting a GPS to do what you want it to, and the way you want it to, is a bit more art than science. I have found that when it does something bad to me it's usually due to a problem with "the nut behind the keyboard". The 660 should have avoid unpaved, and then it's down to fastest vs. shortest in combination with avoid highways. Lots of permutations in just those 3 choices.

sp!ke

I have a Megellan I bought cheap off the daily deal places and it works good. The volume is louder than the last one and that is better. I call it Gipsy and the only time I have been misdirected is when I put in "shortest route". I figure that is the "As the crow flies" route because it usually will end at some farmer's pasture.

About the only thing I would wish was better is if I take a different route, it tells me way too long to "make a legal U turn", before it finally gets on track. I keep waiting for her to say, "OK, if this the way you want to go, I can deal with it."

I do have to say that if I am going some place I have never been before, it is neat getting there.

RandyA

I got one of the Sgt Slaughter (or something like that voices) Its entertaining for awhile. But if your on a long straight bit it gets old fast. But its different.I switch between voices some. The Brits keep ya laughing. Need a Cheech and Chong voice.

Guest scarylarry
Nope. They always tend to take you through the ghetto downtown for some reason. Remember Cincinnatti? lol

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

I"ll never forget that one...

You can't trust them in my part of the woods. The maps name the roads one thing and the signs at the road are something else. We tried to follow one to a water park and wound up at a chicken farm. You could see the slides off in the distance so we got there. LOL:rotf:

So Kevin, what your sayin is its like the weather forcast? Its a "best guess" situation? :whistling: I try to study my route prior to traveling like I said. For the most part it works well. But I have had it route me thru say a subdivision to get me to the road I just got off.

I use Google Navigation on my android phone. I always go a different way she wants me to but then I am traveling the back county roads running parallel to the highways she wants me to take. I just keep an eye on the time to destination when I miss the turn she wants me to take. to make sure I don't get too far off track. For me (on the bike) it is more about finding the destination once I get into the area than it is about taking the route she wants me too.

In the car I follow her most of the time and have only been off by a few 100 feet for my final destination.