IGNORED

2010 Ford F-150 rearend troubles....

bj66

Anybody have troubles with their 2010 and earlier Ford F-150 rearend clutches. I just took my truck in today for the 2nd time to replace the rearend clutch plates. I'm on the 3rd set in just over 28000 miles. The dealer has been good about it, and I'm told it is a fairly common problem. I was told that the rearend clutches have been the same for years and that the tooling used to make them is getting worn which explains the problems.

Just wondering if im the only one having this problem or any of you have had it too. In 2011 they came ou with the 6 speed trans, so it may be possible that the rearend tooling has been updated.

Anybody have troubles with their 2010 and earlier Ford F-150 rearend clutches. I just took my truck in today for the 2nd time to replace the rearend clutch plates. I'm on the 3rd set in just over 28000 miles. The dealer has been good about it, and I'm told it is a fairly common problem. I was told that the rearend clutches have been the same for years and that the tooling used to make them is getting worn which explains the problems.

Just wondering if im the only one having this problem or any of you have had it too. In 2011 they came ou with the 6 speed trans, so it may be possible that the rearend tooling has been updated.

This explanation does not work for me. The clutches when manufactured either meet specs or they don't. These things should just about never wear out. The biggest culprit for killing rear end clutches is mismatched tires. There should be zero wear when the wheels are moving at the same speed. And very minimal when cornering. So unless you are spinning wheels a lot in the snow or mud something else is going on. Check to make sure they are using the correct fluid.

Mike

had 3 or 4 of them over the years. Tired of getting beat up every time I tried to trade one. Local dealer always had special deals on all the time. Saved a ton to start out, but got killed every time I tried to trade. If you ever want to buy a truck check out the Aberdeen Chrysler Center in Aberdeen SD. I would imagine they have a website. If I was going to buy a truck and run it till it fell apart I would probly shop there. Its not uncommon to see 100 or more new trucks on the lot at one time.

This explanation does not work for me. The clutches when manufactured either meet specs or they don't. These things should just about never wear out. The biggest culprit for killing rear end clutches is mismatched tires. There should be zero wear when the wheels are moving at the same speed. And very minimal when cornering. So unless you are spinning wheels a lot in the snow or mud something else is going on. Check to make sure they are using the correct fluid.

Mike

Shop foreman told me that the clutches are the 2nd most replaced part that Ford has. Often on backorder.....As for the tires, I have the origional tires on the truck yet. I love the truck, rides great, good gas mileage, much quieter than Chevy,Dodge,or even the Toyota. But if this keeps up I may have to look at something different.

Tell them to replace the whole rear end. There's no way they can justify that many clutches in such a short period of time. Something is very wrong with the rearend. Can you imagine how busy they would be if Every 09 and up F150 with posi had to have its clutches replaced that often. And then what are you gonna do when its outta warranty. I would scream replace the whole rear end or lemon law if your state has one. Your being fed a line of bull a mile long period!

I had 2 Dodges, and 4 gmc's over the last 18 years and my current 08 F150 has beat them all hands down. Total cost of parts (warranty and non warranty)so far after 120k is 39 dollars. I am losing the battery now though and will replace it tomorrow. Then it'll be time for plugs and pads . But I do have a standard rear end. Never really needed posi yet.

Edited by BuddyRich

I had 2 Dodges, and 4 gmc's over the last 18 years and my current 08 F150 has beat them all hands down. Total cost of parts (warranty and non warranty)so far after 120k is 39 dollars.

You got lucky and got a good one.

I have a ford f150 and had to rebuild the rear end at 150,000 have 285,000 on it now and still runs like a top its the only problem I have had with it. And it was the fault of the dealer ship they put the wrong fluid in.

Orlin

I have owned F150's for years and never had this issue. I have owned a 93 and 99 and currently own a 2008. Not one problem with any of them. I think you should contact Ford directly and ask about the issue that the dealer is "claiming".

Good Luck

I have owned F150's for years and never had this issue. I have owned a 93 and 99 and currently own a 2008. Not one problem with any of them. I think you should contact Ford directly and ask about the issue that the dealer is "claiming".

Good Luck

I would have to agree. While my preference would be a Dodge truck, simply because they are the only ones that have been able to take the abuse. I've had problems with dealerships. I'd try another dealer to get it fixed. If they can't fix it right, then I'd put it out to pasture and shoot it right between the eyes.:whistling:

Either lemon law it or trade it before the warranty runs out.

My GMC has 300K and has had nothing other than maintenance items done since I bought it new. It has NEVER been in a dealers shop since the day I picked it up.

I have an extended cab 8' box that regularly gets airborne on the back logging roads, it is not pampered. I beat the snot out of it, but maintain it.

Mike

It could be possible, I have seen companies loosen the spec so that they would not have to replace worn tooling.

It is also possible that they were required to change the material the clutches were made from. I went thru a period where I was doing brakes every 4-5 months when the EPA mandated a change in the material. It took a few years for the manufacturers to come up with a new material that held up.

What symptoms precipitate you having them replaced? How was it determined they were bad?

Been Ford guy since late 60's, had everything from Detroit Lockers to Ford TracLoc(which is predecessor of what you have). Have heard and seen all sorts of complaints, both real and imagined for problems with these units. 90% of the time it is either a fill of the wrong fluid or failure to add the friction modifier to the fluid that does them in, and even then they don't wear out that fast, they chatter nd jump on a tight turn. Even ones doing this will settle down after friction modifier is added.

Have you actually seen the clutch plates they pulled out?

i have a 05 the bearings went out of. they rebuilt it havent had any problems sense. there was a service letter out on diff failures. go to ford truck enthusiasts forum and look through the year of truck you have. you will find all kinds of good info there. i frequent there

Something is wrong there somewhere, I/we have a ,

ninety two gmc g van, lim slip, hundred ten k miles, no problem,

85 vette, massive dana 44 lim slip, hundred one k miles, no problem,

03 chev express van ,lim slip fifty thousand no problem,

97 z28 stick shift, limited slip, fifty thou, no problem,

91 blazer 140k, lim slip , no prob,

05 chevy equinox, one hundred ten K miles, lim slip no problem

none of these has ever been serviced at the rear end or had fluid changed or even checked that I know of, the only ones that I havnt had since brand new are the blazer and the vette,

,,,,something is definitely wrong over there in Ford country.

When going straight down the road there is no wear on the differential clutches what so ever. All of the internals in the rear end are moving as a unit. The clutches will slide when one wheel is turning slightly faster than the other. As when changing lanes or turning a corner. But this difference in speed between the rear wheels in minimal so little to no heat is developed. And little to no wear occurs. If one wheel spins faster than the other the clutch plates heat up grab and try to equalize wheel speed. That is when some wear can occur. But it usually isn't very much unless you are an avid off roader. Bearings will generally wear out and gears break before the clutches wear out. I have rebuilt many a Ford differential for both on road and off road use. Your shop manager is just blowing you off. They can't find the problem and don't want to look stupid. There are two causes of frequent clutch wear. Mismatched tires and wrong fluid. Get a new rear end and a new mechanic and start over.

Mike

The dealer that is fixing my truck, didnt sell me my truck. I bought it from a dealer about an hour away. When I called my origional dealer about my problem the first time the shop foreman was on another call. I talked to my salesman and described what was going on with my truck and he said he'd never heard of such a thing. So when I went into town on a parts run I stopped by the different dealer. The guy was on lunch break, and he just stopped eating his sandwich jumped in my truck and we drove around the lot in a turn. You could feel the slip right away. He added the friction modifier and we tried that for a week or so. It didnt help, so we replaced the clutches. I thought the service guy did a good job, dropped his lunch to help me and I didnt buy the truck there.

THis time around, if you held the brakes so the truck would slowly roll forward, you could feel and hear the clunk every time the wheel rolled a revolution. Took it in and they fixed it, and even gave me a 2012 Lincoln MKX to drive in the meantime. I was scared to drive it, awful fancy.....So I hope these clutches fix it. if not I got 30,000 or more miles left on the warranty for the clutches. I'll probly trade it by then......

I have two 2010 F-150's. My XLT and my wife's Platinum have not experienced rear-end problems that I know of but hers ate that set of 20" Scorpion tires in 19k miles. Ford says the front end is aligned and she drives like a kitten. Not looking forward to replacing those tires this soon.

The guy was on lunch break, and he just stopped eating his sandwich jumped in my truck and we drove around the lot in a turn. You could feel the slip right away. He added the friction modifier and we tried that for a week or so. It didnt help, so we replaced the clutches.

What do you mean"you could feel the slip right away"??

Was it shuddering or was the inside tire squealing ?