IGNORED

Question about membership dues

n9viw

i just spent the weekend with some of my dear friends that i would'nt even know if it weren't for that measley $12.00 a year investment. in fact i have spent alot of time with alot of friends that i have met on here over the last 7 years. i wish i had dons computor savvy, that keeps this site running as smooth as it does. we had a crash in 06 and lost the site for a time, until don got it up and running again. we have bought folks motorcycles, and donated money to help many people, collected alot of money for st. jude, etc., cuz it's just the kind of people that we are. if you think this site is just a hobby, it ain't. it is alot of work. i bug don every once in awhile when i need some info or something else done as i'm sure many other people do, and he gets right on it. if don could make a million more power to him. it still cost me $12.00 a year for enjoyment i can't put a price on. i'm a member of many websites and this one is my only home. i don't even own a venture. so join in and don't ***** about something so trivial. :depressed:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can tell you are out of line with that question!

THANK YOU!!!! Now I know I'm not the only one who put their foot in their mouth!!!!

But pretty much everyone has said it.

I've got VERY limited mechanical abilities...sometimes I find it hard to see what others may think is the obvious...but Marcarl, Skydoc17, Dingy, Thirdbike, and a whole lot of other folks have helped me to:

change my clutch plates and springs,

clutch slave cyl.

put in progressive springs and new steering head bearing,

fix my cruise control,

change the fuse block,

get rid of the flashing battery warning, repair (It had elec. tape over it when I bought it!)

and probably a few other odd jobs I can't think of.

I have saved money on parts purchases, stayed over at members homes, enjoyed free camping and had hours and hours of entertainment!

I was able to view riding training videos', get valuable opinions on purchases and "meet" (even if not physically) good friends from several countries.

$12 a year?

Don could triple it and I'd still be a member! (but don't tell him I said so!)

Hey all,

I had a quick question about membership dues.

It would seem to me that, with 13,078 members, at $12 per member per year, that's $156,936 per year. WOW! Quite a lucrative business you've got here!

I considered it was possible that, of the listed members, only a portion of them were actual paying members, and the rest were a rotating batch of trial members. I don't know how your member counter works. In any case, figuring on the extreme lean side, let's say that only 1% of that total, or 130 members, were paying crew. That would bring the annual funds to $1,570. Not bad for a gig that's essentially a hobby.

Granted, that's not accounting for expenses (webhosting, cost of software, upkeep, etc), which, for your average vBulletin board (which are generally FREE access) should amount to about $50/month. That takes but a sliver out of the potential pot of dues coming in.

As for the rest... where does it all go?

My response to you would be to go to some other "non-free" site where the membership fee is double or triple and do your calculation ... and then pose the same question.

If you ride a Venture or even a Wing, $12/yr is a drop in a barrel for what you'll get in return.

I was on this site for several years before Don had to make the decision to start having a membership fee and I know he agonized over it. It had always been his intent to keep this a free site, but it became something he had to do. So, what he did was to initiate a very low membership due that is lower than any that I know of that are not loaded with advertisements.

As has already been noted several times, this is a family and we might fuss a little at times, but there is a tremendous respect shown between these family members, especially when they disagree on something. I do occasionally look at other sites, such as for my Maxima and to tell you the truth, it is not worth reading through all the crap and snide remarks to get any useful information. People that come on here with that attitude either change real quick, or don't last long.

I feel very blessed that I found this site and at that time I was a member of another similar site that I was not happy with, which, by the way, had a lot higher membership dues than this one years ago. As has been said, welcome to the group if you chose to join. If you feel you are being scammed, then I suggest you go on about your business. And, if you do pay your dues and don't like it, I am sure you will get your money back.

RandyA

Go easy folks!

I remember a fellow that asked the same question several years ago, on another venture site.

he's a great guy that started a club of his own that we all enjoy very much.

let him answer in his own words, and don't chase anyone away.

mike

:mo money: :mo money: :mo money: :mo money: :mo money: :mo money: :mo money:

Who the hell is this 'Don" guy and why am I paying him a $1 a month just so I can spend hours a day on here with some of the most interesting & entertaining freinds I have.

And poster listed a 350 Honda, mommy must not be watching his internet usage as well as she should.

Gary

Twelve dollars, smelve dollars, who cares how much it is, I'll pay it! I don't know who Don is, but I hope he gets filthy rich off this site, because he is providing an extremely valuable product that I now feel like I can't do without as long as I own my RSTD.

BTW, has anyone noticed that this guy hasn't responded to any of the posts since he posed his rude question? What's up with that?

Best $1.00 I spend a month!!

There are good people on this site, most are willing to go out of their way to help another member.

Don had a great idea when starting this site, I doubt he actually makes much profit for it.... but if he is making a hefty profit, good for him.

If you stay around you will also meet good people, who are willing to help keep you on the road, offer a place for you to stay, loan you tools give you a tow if you need one.

OR

if you want to pay $12. and Lurk around for some time, start your own site, charge a fee and make millions... I am sure Don would share his knowledge to help you start a site for the Honda CB's.

Best of Luck,

KC8KFL

Edited by CalhounWV
typo

I'm one of the ladies on the forum. However, I've also been a webmistress to a site that has absolutely nothing to do with motorcycles. A lot of work goes into the design and build of websites, VRO uses a "canned forum build" that is popular on forum sites, but is tweaked and customized to fit Don's desires for looks and such. Webhosting a site as big as this also costs money. Average starting expense is over $200/yr and then the site owner often has to pay for the data usage the site has with the traffic that comes to it. That could cost thousands of dollars a year. If I wanted to hire out a contract to build and manage a site as large as this one I could end up paying in excess of $50,000/yr to a web designer/programmer on top of webhosting and traffic usage. I know because I'm married to one.

What started as a hobby for Don to use as a means to bring Venture fans together in an online forum that eventually went far beyond that scope has become an expensive hobby to maintain alone. While Mike and I are amongst the poorest members of the forums, our lives have become enriched through the forums, through meeting other members and making it to different events. $12/yr is a very small price to pay for technical knowledge and occasionally assistance from other members.

There are days the humor shared on the site has made me laugh when I needed it. One day Mike hopes to have a good Venture, until then we are riding that Volusia lol.

It should also be pointed out while the site says it has X members, not all of those have currently active paid accounts. I'm not sure the percentage of current paid accounts on the site, but I'm sure if Don wants to share that he's able. Hope this helps.

WOW... I didn't know we had "web-mistresses" too ! And all for only $12.00 per year...gets better everyday ! :happy65:

heck, I've never heard of a "web mistress" before ... now, I've had a few "mistresses" in my day but never a "web" one ... makes me wonder what I been missing and worse than that, now I'm too old to do anything about it .... :stickpoke: :Laugh: :whistling: :whistling: :cool10:

heck, I've never heard of a "web mistress" before ... now, I've had a few "mistresses" in my day but never a "web" one ... makes me wonder what I been missing and worse than that, now I'm too old to do anything about it .... :stickpoke: :Laugh: :whistling: :whistling: :cool10:

I can see KIC not knowing what a webmaster or webmistress is. But SilvrT, you're an IT guy! Before y'all start with the naughty comments a webmaster or webmistress is a site owner/operator, ie Don/Freebird. sheesh! MEN! :rotf::rotf:

I can see KIC not knowing what a webmaster or webmistress is. But SilvrT, you're an IT guy! Before y'all start with the naughty comments a webmaster or webmistress is a site owner/operator, ie Don/Freebird. sheesh! MEN! :rotf::rotf:

heh ... too funny!

Frankly, I didn't realize there was a gender differentiation ... thought all who did websites were "masters" (as in "professionals" or the "master of the web") regardless if they are male or female. I've also never been to a website where it says "click here to contact the Web MISTRESS" ... etc.

All I'm going to say is that I have gathered more info on taking a $300 project bike to cycle I would feel comfortable riding across country. (With a few extra spare parts.) I hope Don does make more than a few bucks, he deserves it. I won't get into the capitalism debate, but I own my own business. So thanks to Don for doing what he does. And hopefully someday I will get to an event and meet some of the fine people on the board..

Being a fellow rider from the great state of Miser y...uh, Missouri...I can truly say that I am surprised that the folks responsible for your rearin didn't teach you better manners.

As a fellow trial member I can vouch for the value of the site. I have found more information, both technical and wise advise from other venture riders. I have saved hundreds of dollars in repair cost due to these fine folks knowledge that they so freely share. And I have saved all this money without being required to pay dues first.

I will be paying my dues before my trial membership expires. I am looking forward to meeting and thanking all these folk as time permits. Most of the posts that I have read from the members leads me to believe that they are all stark raving mad loonies. My kind of people.:mustache:

The short version? Pipe down, crank up the jams, kick back, and enjoy the ride. Quitcherbellyachin. You're not the lead dog anyway.

Twelve dollars, smelve dollars, who cares how much it is, I'll pay it! I don't know who Don is, but I hope he gets filthy rich off this site, because he is providing an extremely valuable product that I now feel like I can't do without as long as I own my RSTD.

BTW, has anyone noticed that this guy hasn't responded to any of the posts since he posed his rude question? What's up with that?

he got scared when he found out we got a web mistress:rotf::rotf::rotf::stickpoke:

:crackup::crackup::crackup::bowdown: