IGNORED

helmet testing

barend

:doh: No, not the hard way, I just did that :bang head: but as a result I really should replace my helmet, so I'm thinking helmets are tested to see if they meet DOT standards, but how much more can they handle? I realize there is a point where it doesn't matter how strong the helmet is, 'cause you're going to be dead. :fiddle::confused24:

A $60 helmet and a $600 helmet both meet DOT standards, all I've found so far is that the more expensive helmet is going to be quieter, more comfortable and may (or may not) fit better. Someone who wears a helmet when he/she has to to cross state lines for a couple of hours will buy the cheapo one, I'm more interested in protecting my noggin best I can, so is there a study which actually compares fail values for various helmets so that you can see whether you pay for the name, or if a specific helmets actually has better protection value along with comfort and fit.

:scratchchin::scratchchin::scratchchin:

Oh, I'm thinking a modular if it will allow me to put it on and take it of without having to remove my glasses (titanium frame)

I use the Modular and really like it. Quality of helmets?? I like to look at what I buy and if it looks good and feels good i think the cheaper ones will do as good as the costly ones. I've gave several some good licks and am still here. I don't know of a study that compares them other than the DOT standards. Would be interesting.

Snell Foundation tests helmets at a much more stringent level than DOT. Check here:

http://www.smf.org/

The Snell Memorial Foundation maintains a listing of all helmets that have met the Snell Standards. Manufacturers are required to put a Snell serialized label inside each of their Snell certified helmets by the Licensing Agreement. Before you buy a helmet, verify it's certified using lookup tool or check out individual standards lists.

http://www.smf.org/cert

:scratchchin::scratchchin::scratchchin:

Oh, I'm thinking a modular if it will allow me to put it on and take it of without having to remove my glasses (titanium frame)

Don't even think about just buying a helmet online to work with glasses. I just bought a modular helmet. I tried on at least 15 different helmets before I found one that does not push my glasses somewhere they should not be. Different glasses and different heads will work in different helmets. My new helmet is a size 2XL, my old helmet of the same brand is a L. They both fit correctly. I went helmet shopping because my old helmet did not work well with my new glasses. My new helmet does not work with my old glasses.

With my new modular I can get the helmet on and off without having to remove my glasses.

Don't even think about just buying a helmet online to work with glasses. I just bought a modular helmet. I tried on at least 15 different helmets before I found one that does not push my glasses somewhere they should not be. Different glasses and different heads will work in different helmets. My new helmet is a size 2XL, my old helmet of the same brand is a L. They both fit correctly. I went helmet shopping because my old helmet did not work well with my new glasses. My new helmet does not work with my old glasses.

With my new modular I can get the helmet on and off without having to remove my glasses.

So do you wear it while walking on wet rocks ? :confused24:

Hey...just asking....

I have a Bell Mag8. It was really snug on my sunglasses. The wife wears the same helmet only in her size. lol Anyways what I did to fix the pushing the glasses up or smashing my head was to take a zip tie and put it around the foam ear piece where my glasses were and tightne it so it didnt push on them any more. I did the same thing for the wife's as hers was making her glasses vibrate and giggle around giving her a headache to ride for long.

I don't have a problem with glasses - It's the hearing aids that cause me problems. Some times, if I'm not careful, as I remove the helmet a hearing aid will pop out. And that's not good. Plus, I can never get the helmet on with both aids inserted. Maybe I just need a larger helmet. Does anyone else have this problem? Owen.

I found some links on another forum that give some good info on helmet safety and which ones may be better. There is a fairly good argument against using a Snell rated hat....they may be too hard and thereby transfer to much impact to your melon....

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/snell-2010-standard.htm

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?_r=1

....some of this info is a few years old, and has been debated to death in many circles, but it is still good information to have.

I always try to find the best fit/feel. Cost is a consideration but Its gotta fit the shape of ones head. Try them on till you find the one you can wear and be comfortable for a couple of hours at a time. That's the one you want. I have had helmet that push on the front, ears don't quite fit. Whatever. Couple of years ago I found a Scorpion helmet that fit great. Still have it but its gonna need replacement. As they age the straps get shorter. These are almost to short to put on.:doh:

:322:i had to get my two bits in . full face helmets suck and are dangeres in my vew . very safe if you are racing or dirt biking. they lookafter your head. but on the open road or in town they can get you dead . you can not hear what is going on around you evan les so if you have a radio or some distraction playing in your ears .even the best of them block ones vision . the half typ helmets suck in a rain or hail storm. but this old man can take the discomfort of that over ending up dead .

Does any one know were you can get those stickers that say "Do not remove helmet, wait for EMT". Thats the frist thing people want to do is take off your helmet if you go down. But doing this the wrong way could cause more damage.

:322:i had to get my two bits in . full face helmets suck and are dangeres in my vew . very safe if you are racing or dirt biking. they lookafter your head. but on the open road or in town they can get you dead . you can not hear what is going on around you evan les so if you have a radio or some distraction playing in your ears .even the best of them block ones vision . the half typ helmets suck in a rain or hail storm. but this old man can take the discomfort of that over ending up dead .

Not wanting to start an argument, but before you buy, look at the statistics for where heads strike when an accident occurs. You'll quickly find that a very high percentage of pavement strikes are "face plants". In these situations, a helmet with a chin guard is critical if you are to avoid serious injury. Also, hits on the temple area account for a good number of strikes as well. ANY helmet is ahead of no helmet, but if you're wearing one to protect your noggin, why not get one that gives the best protection possible? The KEY here is getting a lid that fits YOU. If it doesn't fit correctly, it WILL be uncomfortable, may limit vision/hearing, etc. AND could cause additional problems in an accident by shifting on your head. For example, I tried one of the new Schuberth C3 (Rode 100 miles to a shop to try one on-if it fit it would be in the closet now), however that helmet did NOT work for ME (uncomfortable, tight, etc.) Other guys love/swear by 'em. Try on a number of helmets BEFORE you buy. If it fits RIGHT, you'll have decent visibility, be able to hear ok and be comfortable. If it doesn't meet these criteria, keep looking. (For the record, I'm a big fan of the Nolan modular helmets. My old 102 was great, however when I went to replace it, the new 103 did NOT work for me at all. Wound up with an N90 (cheaper) and love it! Go figure? Anyway, get a proper fitting helmet and wear it.