IGNORED

How Fast?

Brake Pad

what's a save speed to pull a trailer?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. what's a save speed to pull a trailer?

At what speed do you feel is the safest to pull a trailer?

Well since the question asked is whats the safest speed to pull a trailer....

The safest speed to pull a trailer behind a bike is 0 MPH. All bike makers say DON"T DO IT. It is hard to crash when not moving.

As far as what speed is reasonably safe to pull a trailer will vary depending on the weather, road condition, driver skill / knowledge, the bike used, the trailer being pulled, how the trailer is loaded, how everything is set up, the condition of everything, and probably a few other variables not there on the top of my head.

The trailer I have now, the first time I pulled it it was swaying hard at 50-55 MPH. Now that I have made modifications and learned better how to load it, I was quite comfortable with the cruise control set at 75 and 30+ MPH winds blowing.

Jf you get on the interstate around here you better be running at least 70.

You'll get run over otherwise.

I've pulled my Aluma over 80 a number of times with no problems. However, I stay off the interstates most of the time prefering the two lane scenic route.

I agree with FF too. LOTS of variables to consider. But if the trailer is loaded correctly, tracking right and the tires and bearings are in good shape you shouldn't have any problems at just about any speed.

Jf you get on the interstate around here you better be running at least 70.

You'll get run over otherwise.

I've pulled my Aluma over 80 a number of times with no problems. However, I stay off the interstates most of the time prefering the two lane scenic route.

I agree with FF too. LOTS of variables to consider. But if the trailer is loaded correctly, tracking right and the tires and bearings are in good shape you shouldn't have any problems at just about any speed.

I ran into that coming thru Chicago, I was doing 70 in a 45 and getting flipped off for going so slow. Traffic was flowing at 80.

The trailer was fine with 80 but the bike did not like it. It felt like the engine was laboring and it seemed like the gas tank had a 3 inch hole in the bottom.

Edited by Flyinfool

Like others have mentioned, it's all up to how comfortable you feel with it behind the bike. I have had trailers up to 80 mph, I dont really want to go any faster than that, 70 mph, for me is a good cruising speed on the slab. Obviously keep in consideration following distances and weather....

:2cents:

Guess it depends on how soon you need to get there, and where you want to get to. If everything goes right and all the ice cream is gone when you get there, you might have gone a little faster, but if something doesn't go so right and you end up in the lateral position for a time, then maybe a little slower might have worked out better for ya, even though you might have missed out on the ice cream.

I drove 70 - 80 on strait flat open roads. I pulled in the rain and wind and top end went 55 - 60. I also increase my following distances a bunch, rarely hit OD and will take extra breaks. It is doable with practice, patience and extra time loading. Always check your connections at stops and develop some good habits. Don't feel rushed by the vehicles behind you, let them pass. . .

Safest is obviously the speed limit or slightly less, and I know a few that will do that. I drive more based on the road conditions. Nice day on the slab probably 75+ unless trafffic is thick, or weather is windy, then I slow it down.

Brad

No one has thus far mentioned that there are different types and manufacturers of trailers, and that would also dictate what speed would be comfortable pulling a trailer.

From my experience, I have towed one very heavy camping/tent trailer that was terrible at speeds. Then...I changed over to the Bushtec trailers, and speed was enjoyable again.

My first Bushtec trailer was actually bought from Bill Bushling, in northern Cal. back in '89.

That was the Turbo+2 model, and was very well made, and was very easy to tow at high speeds. Then my second Bushtec was bought after John Preston bought the company from Bill Bushling, and he moved the entire company to Jacksboro, TN. It too was a very good trailer, and when pulled behind my ST-1100, on the Blackrock Desert in northern Nevada, I was able to ride the bike...towing the trailer...at 140 mph.

But...a Bushtec Turbo+ 2 is not like most other trailers. They are meant to be pulled safely at speed. Maybe not at 140 mph all day, but very comfortably at 80-90 + all day.

Edited by Miles

I have a Road Dog GT trailer. Unlike most trailers my cargo are sets between the wheels and not on top of it. It does make my trailer a little wider but it sets lower to the ground and is not affected by wind like a lot of trailers are. I have no problems pulling my trailer at any speed, but I rarely ride faster than 70 with or without a trailer.

I tow the large Matrix Rover trailer, lid meets the height of the trunks box & is wide as the highway pegs. Since i only do 65-70 with it on. I do feel the wind banging on it, But it sure keeps the bike from blowing around in the wind

• 2 weeks later...

I'll probably get 'dogged' for this but.....

A few years ago, we took a trip from Omaha, NE up accross I-90 to the West Coast, down to San Diego, then accross to Oklahoma then back home.

We pulled our Bushtec Roadstar the entire way at varing speeds. Without my mirrors, I couldn't tell it was back there!! As far as how fast? When we left Vegas, it was 114°F in the desert and I got stuck in bumper to bumper, stop and go while crossing the Dam. By the time we were able to get moving, we were pretty miserable. I cranked my 07 Venture up and we crossed that Desert at right around 100mph!! Again, I couldn't tell the trailer was back there!! - Now, I'm not saying it was Safe, but I'd do it again with no worries. We have made a couple trips back and forth to eastern Ohio within the last year at varying speeds, with the same opinion.

I've got to believe that anyone with a Bushtec knows what I mean when I talk about quality and how well they handle. They are EXPENSIVE, but well worth the money to me. I'll never pull a different brand if at all possible.

craigr

your bushtec is really in its own category. it was made to pull behind a bike

where as my Matrix, is said to be for small cars. this is why Matrix now has a lower profile trailer, for the motorcycle community.

Now some of us are the pioneers of pulling trailers. I started in 81 with a cargo freight trailer and a sears topper. 8" wheels with my CB750K. who known that trailer'ing was going to become such a big item. but the idea, truly were focused on the Goldwing Groups. the ultimate Touring set up.

Does anyone know when they came out with Speed ratings on tires? The first time I can remember seeing this was on the old U-haul Trailers (45MPH)

I agree with what was said about the Bushtec. Yes, they are expensive but they pull like a dream. My speeds are dictated by road conditions, traffic, speed limits, etc. The fact that I'm pulling the Bushtec has absolutely no bearing on how fast I go.

I too pull a Bushtec and agree with the others here. Cruising at 80 mph is comfortable and I've gone faster. I really don't alter me speed because of the trailer but I do alter my following distances. The trailer significantly changes the stopping distance.

Wow! You guys with those tiny wheels pulling at highway speeds and faster!

I have to believe that me pulling my Bushtec 100mph is a little more safe. And, I've only done it that ONE time.

Years ago, I had a boat trailer with those little tires and they worried me because how fast they were spinning at highway speeds, so I swapped them out for the 18 or 20" wheels.

I'm not brave enough to pull a cheap trailer fast.

Good luck to you, I hope you have no problems.

craigr

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished a trip from Joplin MO to Glacial National Park, And back this july. I was pulling my home made trailer 2up 08 RSTD 8" wheels Total trailer weight with cargo 300 pounds. On the slab operated at speeds of 85 mph for several miles, But mostly at 75 mph. If trailer is set up right bearings set properly packed good loaded right, Proper tongue weight, Axles in proper location. Some would say any speed you got the balls to pull it at would be good. The better question is how much room do you need to stop at these speeds.