IGNORED

Newbie with an 87 that needs help.

Bought a 1987 Venture Royale less than 48 hrs ago. I paid $1750 knowing that there would be a few issues to fix. She seemed to run great during my test drive. However, I have found a few thing that need fixing since I have put a few miles on her yesterday. I also discovered the service manual for the bike and have just about read it from cover to cover. Major Thanks to whoever uploaded that gem.

Just a bit of history.... The bike used to be ridden daily, until the po before the po decided not to ride anymore for what reason. So, it sat for a while and was no longer running. The plastics and stuff started falling apart as it sat in thee unbearable Texas sun. The guy I bought it from, picked it up and got it running again. New throttle cable, breaks, oil, air cleaner and the lik. He replaced or "repaired" the broken plastics as best as he knew how. So, I have an awesome bike with 75000 miles on it that needs a bit more tlc. My goal is to ride it to and from work as much as possible (50 miles each way) and to take rides with my wife and son. Any help/advice would be appreciated in my quest to restore this beauty to her former glory. If there is anyone who lives around Houston, tx that would be willing to help guide me through the fixes, lend a hand, or help me find parts, etc, your time and efforts would be well rewarded (I brew my own beer) and appreciated.

List of known issues:

CLASS air pressure drops in front (rapidly)

Radio/tape deck issues (possibly replace)

Idle issues - when warm, idles so low that it dies, or it won't idle down , backfiring/popping noises at idle or throttle let-off, etc

Electronic cruise control isn't working. Lights come on, but won't set cruise.

Speedometer just started bouncing around until it warms up.

Battery needs to be replaced (or charging system fixed) and red flashing light needs to be fixed.

A lot of cosmetic issues.

I am not sure where to start and where to find the parts I need. Guidance would be appreciated as to what repairs to affect first and in order of importance.

And pictures are what we all want.....

[ATTACH]68026[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68027[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68028[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68029[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68030[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68031[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68032[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68033[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68034[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68035[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68037[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68038[/ATTACH]

Thank you for taking the time to look at my long post.

List of known issues:

CLASS air pressure drops in front (rapidly)

The best fix would be replace the springs with Progressive and no air needed.

Radio/tape deck issues (possibly replace)

Or update to a CD player aftermarket radio.

Idle issues - when warm, idles so low that it dies, or it won't idle down , backfiring/popping noises at idle or throttle let-off, etc

Check for vacuum leaks by spraying starter fluid around carbs and intakes. Also, if you find vacuum leaks and fix them, you need to sync the carbs or you need to sync the carbs anyway.

Electronic cruise control isn't working. Lights come on, but won't set cruise.

You may have a problem in the clutch lever switch. Make sure the spring is pushing the lever all the way out.

Speedometer just started bouncing around until it warms up.

Lube the cable and when you get a chance, lube the bearing inside the speedometer where the cable comes in. This needs to be done from the inside or have a fitting that will screw unto the speedometer that you can pump grease into it.

Battery needs to be replaced (or charging system fixed) and red flashing light needs to be fixed.

Get a DEKA battery and there is a fix on here of bypassing the battery probe to turn the light off.

It looks like you got a good bike to fix up and you will be amazed how strong it is when you get it right.

RandyA

I hope this helps.

Welcome to the site and good luck with your new bike.

On the battery warning light you might check out the following link.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=489

If the PO installed a AMG battery there is no place to install the "probe" that goes into the battery. I added a reistor to my 83 when I upgraded the battery and it fixed the problem.

On the idle try the seafoam in the gas about 1/2 can to a tank of gas and then they say ride it like you stole it otherwise the carbon deposits etc tend to build up on the spark plugs.

You might want to check the diaphragms on the carbs for pin holes. You don't have pull the carbs to do this. See the following link. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19269

It's great to have such great advice from the the guys on this site and the search tool can lead to a lot of help.

On the speedometer you really need to remove the windshield and headlighat and disconnect it from the back of the dash and lubricate the cable it, soon. Otherwise could break it and get more expensive.

There are a good group of people here in the Houston area that are willing to help. I live about an hour and half to the south.

Again good luck and welcome to the site.

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate the quick response. Working on a bike with no knowledge can be intimidating. I adjusted the rear brake and clutch shifter today. I can stop much better and shift much smoother now. I also cleaned the contacts on the battery, and she seems to be starting a tad bit easier. I wonder if it has anything to do with me starting and riding the bike as well? Sometimes problems happen just because of non-use, and when it gets used, it starts working right. Btw, I put sea foam in the tank and have driven it some. I can't ride it like I stole it around here cuz it is too dangerous, and I don't have long stretches of open road to get it up to speed. I barely get to 50 mph locally. So, I just rev it high before I shift. I assume that does the same thing. I look forward to many trips on this bike and at least 100k more miles.

Good luck on the new nice ride. The information here is overwhelming. So much info..so little time to digest and use it. I got my 89 in December and my 87 in Feb. M 89 had similar issues that you have. Each one has been resolved by following the links and search ability here.

Grease the speedo ASAP so you don't ruin it. Either pull the whole speedo unit and do it from the inside.

You can look up member Golf and Venture and see if he has anymore grease fittings for sale, or I can mail you mine and you can send it back. It is easier to grease it from the front ( headlight out) then to take the whole speedo apart.

Also, to use the search function efficiently , go to the very bottom to Google Search and click on the little dot on the http://www.venturerider.org. This will only search the forum and is way more efficient.

One other suggestion:

As you read the well written tech articles posted here... copy and paste them into Word and print them out for a 3-ring binder. You will develop a better manual then the dealer one.

P.S. You also have to harass, intimidate, conjole, ( in a friendly manor) the 2nd Gens or you will be kicked out of the 1st Gen rider's club. :stirthepot: :whistling:

P.S.S - Don't forget to spend the measly $12.00 to join this wonderful world of ....well... we'll leave the ending to your imagination...:happy65:

:2BLUE:...because you can never leave,,,,

With a bike with shady history Sea-Foam can work wonders. Some of the time. Sometimes they get plugged til Sea-Foam can't work its magic. A good soak with Sea-Foam can help. Mix about 1/2 can of Sea-Foam with 1/2 can of Fresh gas. You need a piece of somethiong to use for fuel line about 18 inches to 2 ft. Almost any kind of flexible CLEAN line will do. Before you start it is good to open carb drains to make sure you have gas flowing thru them. Close drains after this:whistling: Unhook fuel line from rear of fuel pump and clamp off with vice grips (explamitaion later) hook your piece of line here (it needs to fit) and insert other end into can of Sea-Foam and gas. Start bike and run until you are sure carbs are full of this mixture. Shut off and leave sit at least overnight. Couple days won't hurt anything. Hook fuel line back up and start bike. It will smoke, fart, belch and cough. See how much you have helped it already...(It couldn't do that could it??) It should smooth out and run better. I don't use petcock to shut off fuel on these old things because they become very easy to break. Most of us turn them gently to reserve and leave them there.This may cost you a set of plugs as it will break loose a bunch of crud and fart it out but it will help!! It won't stay with "Brown Sugar" but you should have no trouble staying ahead of the 2nd Gens!!:whistling:GOOD LUCK and WELCOME!!

Grease the speedo and don't worry about idle til you get it running better. Book calls for 900 RPM. Use soap bubbles to check connections on air lines. Is rear holding OK? DON'T over air Front. No more than 12-14 lbs in there. With progressive springs a lot of guys run no air in front. I still keep a little so I can make sure it is working right.

If you want it to idle better, add a full can of SeaFoam to about 1 bar of gas on the gauge. The run or drain the gas out of the bowls and get the fresh mixture into the carbs. The let it sit and idle for about 1\2 hour, maybe closing the choke every once in a while. This will\might help clean up the idle circuit and the choke circuit. Rather than SeaFoam, I use carb cleaner,,, the stuff in a rattle can,, works wonders.

JP,

Where abouts in Houston are you? There are quite a few of us here in the Houston area. I live Just outside of Cleveland, East of Cut and Shoot off 105. Your more than welcome to come out to my place and we can run through your bike and get it where you want it to be. I have plenty of space and a 1200 sq ft garage. My cell # is in my profile, give a call and we'll see what we can make happen for you.

Yes we are all more than willing to help you out here! Air shock issue may be a bad o ring on the hose connector or hole in the rubber line. Battery warning light is most likely a problem with the probe. Need a little more detail with the sound system issues, the tape deck most likely needs new drive belts (3 of them) and routine servicing. Controller switches are available for radio cxontroller. Carbs may end up needing rebuilding. Upgraded thicker battery lines will cure a lot of hot starting issues but a stronger battery such as the DEKA helps out as well!

Offering Ice cream and/or food is the main motivator on this site!!!

24/2 = 24 hours a day, 2 days a week (weekends) as opposed to 24/7

Atleast it was one of your fellow countrymen that clarified it for you Pinky

Doh !

So what are you saying, not to call you through the week, you only have time for him on the weekend ? :think:

Just trying to get clarification :stickpoke:

Brad

Doh !

So what are you saying, not to call you through the week, you only have time for him on the weekend ? :think:

Just trying to get clarification :stickpoke:

Brad

You know, I would try to clarify it for you brother....but you'd just have more questions

:confused24:

I think it means you can pick any two days of the week and call anytime during those 24 hours. :happy65:

yeah...that's it!

As long as those two days are Saturday or Sunday.

You guys are starting to scare me!:Avatars_Gee_George:

I was having a little trouble with my 89' when I first started it, couldn't get the idle above 500 and missed a little and popped. The PO told me he put a new battery in. I thought maybe it was the fuel pump and read the trouble shooting chart. It needs about 11v and my battery held 10 over-nite and went to 8v under load. After riding it long enough to get it charged up idle was good and no popping. The next day, same problem. I put in a new battery and the problem seemed to go away, fuel pump is clicking away.

hope this might help.

rod