IGNORED

Internet Service at the new house

Squidley

Nope, I can't get DSL either, even though the neighbor about 1/4 mile down the road says she has AT&T DSL. I had it good at the old place, cable internet and TV for $59 a month. It's going to cost me more than that for this hotspot

:doh: I just looked into the Clear you talked about....not available where I'm at, just can't win for loosing :confused24:

I had Wild Blue. 1/4 mile to the north DSL 1/4 to west DSL, it was a year before DSL got to me. It ain't great, but beats the snot out of Blue and Direcway(Hughes).

:080402gudl_prv:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad,

One thing that you can do to conserve some of your bandwidth while on this site is to go to your UserCP and "edit options". Disable signatures, avatars and images. Or some combination that you prefer. Then you will use less bandwidth and the pages will probably load faster also.

Nope, I can't get DSL either, even though the neighbor about 1/4 mile down the road says she has AT&T DSL. I had it good at the old place, cable internet and TV for $59 a month. It's going to cost me more than that for this hotspot

:doh: I just looked into the Clear you talked about....not available where I'm at, just can't win for loosing :confused24:

Have AT&T landline phone? Call in trouble 'line is noisy'. When ATT technician gets there have him test for DSL ability considering neighbor DSL only 1/4 mile away. Tech should have equipment to do link and speed test back to DSLAM, and should be able to state the rate it could get, and should be able to 'Qualify' your line for DSL service. Maybe you really are to far and will not be able to get DSL service.

The issue may be that att has decided to convert ATM based DLAM to IP based DSLAM to help get traffic off the ATM switched network. When an ATM dlsam is full (max allowed customers), it is capped out and no new customers allowed, and will not increase capacity until converted. Lately $'s for conversions have been very tight.

If this is the case, just keep checking back. Some one will not pay bill or disconnect and free up a port. Would still need to have your line qualified to place an order. Also one day conversions will be completed and should free up capped sites.

Hello: You are not alone. I too am too far away from Telco Central Office to get DSL. My best option is a wireless product for $60 per month also. Darn good just a little pricey. I Previouly tethered my cell phone for a grandfathered price of $25 month. Dependable, but only 256K. :)

Brad, Suggest you call AT&T. I believe both their tv and internet services are accessed through your a phone line. If you have a phone you can get ATT DSL. That's what they told me anyway. And their services are pretty doggone reasonable. But I am staying with my local broad band provider.

Although the DSL suppliers have service standards, and they relate them to line length, in practise they often work very well at much greater distances than advertised.

Have them come test your line before they tell you that you are too far from a sub-station.

Brad-

As several have mentioned, the various things like Internet America work well. An antenna on the roof pointed to a tower. I have a small independent ISP and am right down the road from MikeZ06. Works really well. Not cable bandwidth but pretty good. I pay for a top end package. However, I have 10mbps down and over 3mbps up most of the time. It is unlimited in use and runs me $75.00 per month. It only goes out in the hard driving rain. My tower is a 30ft unit on the roof with a 16" little dish on the top.

JB

Guest tx2sturgis

Have you considered point-to-point internet sharing?

If your neighbor down the road and you are on friendly terms, you might offer to split the bill with her if she will let you 'borrow' some wi-fi.

If you have a clear un-obstructed view of the roof of a neighbors house, this might work for you.

http://www.jefatech.com/product/USB-LINK-KIT/Long-Range-80211n-WiFi-to-USB-Kit.html

http://www.jefatech.com/product/BRIDGE-KIT/Secure-Wireless-Point-to-Point-Bridge-Kit.html

It might run you between $100-$300 to get the hardware needed, but then its just a little bit of setup time and poof...instant long-range wifi.

They have several products, and the link I sent you may or may not be exactly the product you need, but it will get you started on the website.

Good luck.

Edited by tx2sturgis

If you have a clear un-obstructed view of the roof of a neighbors house,

/QUOTE]

they do not have an un-obstructed view of any neighbors houe or roof. brad's & lonna's new place is surronded by tall trees. on 3 sides only the county road at their drive way is kind of tree less. but it faces a railroad track & no neighbors house. there is a phone connection box are the power pole at the back of the house. but the house has never had a phone line run to it. i belive it's an at&t box. but they have been told to find out who the phone wines to the box belongs to. i will stop by in a few munites to look over the box to check for any decals that state who's it is. their only choice my be at&t dialup. i live about 6 miles from them and have at&t dsl.

reguards

don c.

/QUOTE]

they do not have an un-obstructed view of any neighbors houe or roof. brad's & lonna's new place is surronded by tall trees. on 3 sides only the county road at their drive way is kind of tree less. but it faces a railroad track & no neighbors house. there is a phone connection box are the power pole at the back of the house. but the house has never had a phone line run to it. i belive it's an at&t box. but they have been told to find out who the phone wines to the box belongs to. i will stop by in a few munites to look over the box to check for any decals that state who's it is. their only choice my be at&t dialup. i live about 6 miles from them and have at&t dsl.

reguards

don c.

:lightbulb:

So all you need to do is get a router and some media convertors, lay a 6 mile fiber (about a buck a foot) run between your two houses and he will be good to go.

Guest tx2sturgis

they do not have an un-obstructed view of any neighbors houe or roof. brad's & lonna's new place is surronded by tall trees.

don c.

One word: Big Chainsaw.

Oh wait, thats 2 words....ok...scratch this idea.

:moon:

Satellite internet is doable but kinda $pendy$ and they always have a data-cap.

I have HughesNet. It's better than nothing and nothing is my only other option.

Im allowed 250mB/day and it can roll over to a max of 500mB/day. They also give 1 free reset token a month. Apparently, there is a new Gen4 of HughesNet that will allow for a 10meg connection. My current plan is advertised at 1.5meg and costs around $50/month.

What I hated about Hugesnet was if you exceed your data limit they shut you down to dial up speed for 24 hours!

This is not an average over 24 hours....it only has to be 1 hour where you download too much.

I think I had speed of 700 bps download and it was only 50-70 upload.

i went by brad's place yesterday afternoon late. looked at the phone line boxes along the road for a mile on either side of their gate. some of the boxes have a decal on them saying call at&t 1-800 # before digging. some of the boxes say call southwestern bell 1-800 before digging. what i been told by lonna & brad is "they need find out who's phone lines are they" by some service tech. swb has not had service in this area in years. at&t took over the area years ago. the six miles that seperate their place and mine. a lot of the phone boxes still have the swb decal on them. there are 3 boxes at the end of my clu-de-sact. the one coming to my house has a at&t decal on it. and the other 2 have swb.

lonna told me the house was moved there and has NEVER had a land line to it. i feel brad & lonna need to jump on someone's ass at at&t. as it seems a phone tech has their head up in there lower rearend. i just hate it when this kind of stuff happens to my friends.

reguards

don c.

We have DSL and the copper comming into the neighborhood is 1940's. Every tiome I run slow they switch me to other pair of wires and that makes a huge difference. Dial up is the same, if there is noise on the lines it will slow your connection. If you hear noise or crackling on the lines you can try to get them to switch you out to a different pair, I wouldn't count on it since you are on voice only.

try http://www.speedtest.net/ and you can see what your speed is and where you are getting your service ( where your server is ).

i went by brad's place yesterday afternoon late. looked at the phone line boxes along the road for a mile on either side of their gate. some of the boxes have a decal on them saying call at&t 1-800 # before digging. some of the boxes say call southwestern bell 1-800 before digging. what i been told by lonna & brad is "they need find out who's phone lines are they" by some service tech. swb has not had service in this area in years. at&t took over the area years ago. the six miles that seperate their place and mine. a lot of the phone boxes still have the swb decal on them. there are 3 boxes at the end of my clu-de-sact. the one coming to my house has a at&t decal on it. and the other 2 have swb.

lonna told me the house was moved there and has NEVER had a land line to it. i feel brad & lonna need to jump on someone's ass at at&t. as it seems a phone tech has their head up in there lower rearend. i just hate it when this kind of stuff happens to my friends.

reguards

don c.

This is TRUE, ATT does own the cable that was SWBell. ATT owns and maintains this cable, but other providers (resellers) can lease it 1 pair at a time and sell service to a customer. This reseller service is for Plain Old Telephone Service only. ATT got an agreement with FCC they did not have to lease DSL to resellers. The decals are only changed when a wire tech works on a closure for some reason.

Need to order POTS landline service, and provide 911 address, expain never had service-new house. Would also be helpfull to provide neighbors phone number as a "near by number". Using the 'near by' they may approve a DSL order also, but even if not, when POTS tech shows up have him test and qualify for DSL.

Another option, not good but an option is the link below. Also, look on the roofs of homes in the area of your house for an antenna that is out of the norm. Before I had AT&T we used a radio service. It worked fine and uses a point to point system to relay the signal to something like a water tower. Attached is a pic of my neighbors (he still has not pulled it off the roof. Anyway, if you see something like this there may be that type of service available in your area.

http://www.broadbandblue.com/wireless/broadband/Texas/Cleveland

This is TRUE, ATT does own the cable that was SWBell. ATT owns and maintains this cable, but other providers (resellers) can lease it 1 pair at a time and sell service to a customer. This reseller service is for Plain Old Telephone Service only. ATT got an agreement with FCC they did not have to lease DSL to resellers. The decals are only changed when a wire tech works on a closure for some reason.

Need to order POTS landline service, and provide 911 address, expain never had service-new house. Would also be helpfull to provide neighbors phone number as a "near by number". Using the 'near by' they may approve a DSL order also, but even if not, when POTS tech shows up have him test and qualify for DSL.

thanks brian for the info. i'am not for sure about any resellers in the area. but brad and lonna need to as you said, order pots landline service.

best reguards

don c.

Don't go by their stupid online thing, It said it wasn't available where I live either, but a salesman showed up one day and showed me it worked. I signed up on the spot.

Find a dealer and have them do an actual test.

Thanks Forrest, I'll see if I can get someone out here

:thumbsup2: