IGNORED

Internet Service at the new house

Squidley

I appreciate y'alls input, just for a bit of clarification. AT&T does own the phone lines, but when I talked with them, they explained about the DSL running along the copper phone lines. I have to be within a certain distance from the distribution station, which according to them, I am 12000 feet away or just shy of 2 miles.

I haven't had the opportunity to talk with the neighbor face to face, I got her phone # from our landlords parents who live next door in the house east of us. I am hoping to get back in touch with her and see if she will let me come over and see just what she has.

Worst case scenario is having to stay on this Hot Spot, like I say it's ok and fairly fast, but I just hate to be paying 60+ a month for internet. Thanks again for all your help :thumbsup2:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate y'alls input, just for a bit of clarification. AT&T does own the phone lines, but when I talked with them, they explained about the DSL running along the copper phone lines. I have to be within a certain distance from the distribution station, which according to them, I am 12000 feet away or just shy of 2 miles.

True AT&T DSL limit is 18,000 copper cable feet from the DSLAM or Central Office based on 24awg cable(6Meg). The DSLAM is 'typically' located at the same place as the 'distribution station' that we call a cross box. Most telco cable in metro is 24 and 26 awg. In rural usually 24 and 22 and sometimes waaaay out 19 awg. The bigger 22 and 19 awg allows even longer DSL reach. We have some DSL working as far as 30,000ft at slower rates(700k-1.5m). The biggest problem, is on long cable routes, at every 6000 ft is installed load coils to balance impedance for voice POTS. DSL will not pass thru a load coil. Not to difficult for a tech to remove loads, but they have to be motivated to go to the trouble. Easier to just say it does not pass. (effect on voice POTS of removed coils is not noticable-with conditions)

A&T is also deploying IPTV, but the limit is 2500ft on 24awg. Typically in metro or subdivision. Limited 'fiber to the curb' sites, and even less 'fiber to the house' sites

The service tech has the authority to qualify your wire pair as good for dsl if it can be made to pass the tests.

Suggest order POTS service and talk to the technician who comes out and hooks it up.

:080402gudl_prv: