IGNORED

Falling apart Piece by Piece

Hey all, I've been a lurker on here for a long time now, don't post much, but this is important so I wanted to ask.

About a month ago after being out for the day on the bike I noticed that the right rear helmet lock was falling off, hanging on by just a thread or two. I tightened this up and didn't think much of it again until last weekend. I was riding home from work on Saturday night and I have this habit of reaching back with my left hand and holding onto the passenger grab bar to stretch my back. Well the grab bar was moving all over the place in my hand.

Got home and found I'd lost the bolt that held the grab rail to the fender, and the bolt under the trunk on the other end was really loose. Ordered the new bolt to replace that one, got it yesterday and went to work putting it together.

While under there I checked the other bolts in the fender and found that 3 of the 4 bolts holding my trunk on were very loose. This led me to grab a bottle of lock tite out of the garage and put it on all of the bolts in question, including the two helmet locks.

Is this typical? I have owned the RSV for about 1 1/2 years and love it, I will now be checking the bolts rather often, are there any other area's that I should look for things "falling off" that are common?

Sorry to be so long winded, thanks for all your help in advance! What a great forum this is, I have learned so much here and it has enabled my to do a lot of my own maintenance with confidence. Great group of people here!

It's clearly shedding bits in a vain attempt to keep up with the 1st Gens :D

On a more serious note ... Don't ever let loctite get anywhere near ABS plastic, it eats it.

It does up all good to go over a bike once a month checking that the fasteners are tight ... It can save a lot of tears.

I check all the bolts I can every time I wash the bike, especially the helmet locks, trunk bolts, saddle bag hinges, gear shift bolt. The RSV is not the only bike I have ever had to do this on and when I took the MSF course last this was one of the items we were told to do on a regular basis.

Motorcycles are subject to various degrees of vibration dependent upon the make/model. Make it a habit to check all fasteners every time you wash/wax the scoot. It's a habit worthy of developing and will bode you well when you are out riding.

Boomer....who sez pygmies with allen wrenches deserve immediate execution.:whistling:

Check your shifter bolt. If it hasn't gotten any yet it badly needs a drop of loctite. Without that drop of loctite, sooner or later you'll find the heel/toe shifter laying on the footboard. Kind of hard to shift that way.

Don't ask how I, and several others here, came to know this...

I've been kinda hoping the pillion would fall off when you know who is on.

Dang. I just remembered it's one piece. :crying:

And on your bike the trunk would have to fall off too...... You need a Second gen RSTD. No trunk in the way and a two piece pillion. See there are more reasons to get a second gen......

To the OP with respect to loose parts. How many miles do you have? Also be sure and check the carb sync. If you haven't done that in a while, out of sync carbs can add vibrations that could accelerate the process. Make sure its running on all four cylinders. They will run quite well on three but with some added vibes.

RSTDdog

+1 on the shifter pivot bolt. That needs a touch of LocTite. If however, you do loose it while away from the shop, you can use one of the bolts in the battery side panels. They are just ornamental anyway.

BTW - we are talking about BLUE Loctite. Not Red.

RR

To answer your question Joe, yes it is common to have fasteners vibrate loose. Besides the shift lever, many have mentioned the kickstand bolt, and most common are the Allen nuts that fasten down the drivers seat..

To the OP with respect to loose parts. How many miles do you have? Also be sure and check the carb sync. If you haven't done that in a while, out of sync carbs can add vibrations that could accelerate the process. Make sure its running on all four cylinders. They will run quite well on three but with some added vibes.

RSTDdog

Thanks for all the replies! Really appreciate the help. I've got 22,000 on her, bought her in October of 2010 with 14,000.

I guess a carb sync is in my very near future, need to purchase the tool to do that.

Again, thanks for all the advice!

just adds to the notion that 2nd genners are Harley wannabes!:stickpoke:

ohhh I'm gonna get it for that one!

No No No, :no-no-no: I'm actually from a family of Harley's, uncle and two brothers all ride Ultra Classics. Just not for me. I am happier and more comfortable on the RSV!

On top of that, my 3rd brother is searching for a Venture, he's been on a Goldwing for 15+ years! I'm quite happy about this fact! The Harley side of the family is giving him a terribly hard time about this! :rotf:

You all forgot to mention the one "main" nut that is always very loose. You may tighten it down and even put some locktite on it but I guarantee that it will loosen up real soon. As it gets older it will also wear down to a point where you may just want to rip it off the bike out of frustration but somehow you manage to restore the part, usually by soaking it in beer. One good nights rest and its ready to go again.....until the cycle repeats itself......

And if you have to ask what part I am referring to you just aint a biker......:smile5: (but its visible if you look directly in a mirror)

To answer your question Joe, yes it is common to have fasteners vibrate loose. Besides the shift lever, many have mentioned the kickstand bolt, and most common are the Allen nuts that fasten down the drivers seat..

There are supposed to be nuts that fasten down the drivers seat?

As mentioned in a earlier post, my shifter was laying on my floorboard a couple of weeks ago. You can hold it on with your left foot to get home just fine. Also had a couple of fender bolts vibrate loose. Gotta check everything...

Just be glad you're on a Venture. In the last couple of weeks on my old Electra Glide I've lost a windshield bolt, had another windshield bolt come loose, and almost lost my tail light. Oh and my license plate.

Everything on my Venture stays put where it belongs. I do have the infamous trunk squeak though!

1/2 crazed

Boomer....who sez LocTite will keep yer butt firmly in de rider's seat too.:cool10:

Hey Boomer.........Will it fix a loose nut between the Handlebars and the seat??.........If'n it will, I'm going to get some!!

Side note: someone mentioned ABS not liking loctite.............DO NOT spill brake fluid on it either.......if you do, get it off fast.

As mentioned in a earlier post, my shifter was laying on my floorboard a couple of weeks ago. You can hold it on with your left foot to get home just fine. Also had a couple of fender bolts vibrate loose. Gotta check everything...

Actually the decorative bolt on either side panel/battery box cover will work in place of the shifter bolt. Not perfect and no washer, but it'll do in a pinch.

Sounds to me like a rear tire problem....out of balance or just worn to the point of being too hard. I have 94,000 miles on my current Midnight Venture and had 86,000 on 2000 Venture. I'm just replacing my rear Avon Venom this week and I get some of those problems from a hard used up tire and when the new Venom is on by Friday I'll be back to smooth and soft bite and ride.

When my RSV was new I had all kinds of things loosen up and almost fall off. I stopped for fuel near Houston and noticed my entire trunk was flopping around. Three of the four fasteners had worked their way out. I got some longer bolts and put nylox nuts on them from the underside. I had one of my saddlebags almost fall off, lost the little chrome spacer on the rear when that long bolt fell out into the bag.

Once I tightened all these things up I never had another problem. I think the issue is with assembly, both at the factory and at the dealership. They DO tell you to check the tightness of things from time to time.